TNF 50, 41 and Bowman Lake area

Now post your ride photos

Moderator: hemingray

hemingray
Certified: OBSESSED

TNF 50, 41 and Bowman Lake area

Postby hemingray » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:06 am

Saddled up the Grizz 660 for a change and started out for more vistas of the Red Star Ridge area. Once at the freeway, I decided to go to FR-19 instead, but by the time I got to Emigrant Gap I had decided to go to the Bowman area and ride out towards Gaston (on the road everyone rides to Washington on during Miyagi weekend).

Here's Fuller Lake on the way up - nice little lake.

The 50 road circles Celina Ridge and connects with the road to Graniteville and the road to Washington. LOTS of side trails and roads. There's a great two-track that connects Graniteville Road and FR-50

Much of the riding out here is through sections of closed forest and then this nice open type of area.

This spot says "Fall" to me - temps were in the high 70's, just fantastic.

Another nice spot on the road. Hardly any traffic up there - no tracks since it rained last in most places.

Came upon a "wye" in the road - this track, depicted as "4WD" on the topo was a lot of fun. Steep twisty with a few off-camber challenges (for me, anyway!). It eventually led to a gate - so I had to turn around and come up it! More fun!

Coming out of that area and heading for the 41 road, lots of nice shaded areas.

On the east slope of Celina Ridge you get a nice view of Bowman Lake and it's two dams.

Grouse Ridge is visible here, as well as the ditch line (the canal leading from Bowman Lake to Rucker and Fuller Lakes, as well as eventually Spaulding.

From there, riding the 41 road, you eventually come to East Fork Creek below Pinoli Peak.

Immediately after crossing the creek is a side road, the 41-6, that leads up the East Fork Creek canyon and climbs the side of Quartz Hill. This is the mountain that is on the north side of Bowman Lake (and makes up those cliffs you go by on the road near the inlet end of the lake.)

Looking from the side of Quartz Hill towards Pinoli Peak.

Only major tree of the day - and luckily it had fallen on a deep water bar, so you can fit under it!

A nice view, with English Mountain at the center, from Pinoli Ridge.

The Sierra Buttes are pretty prominent - and close - to here.

From that point, you ride down the ridge a ways, and part ways from the 41 road at the turnoff to Austin Meadows and it becomes the 76 road for 2.5 miles until hitting Meadow Lake Road. Then it's a long and bumpy transit along Bowman Lake, back to the pavement some 4 miles from the dam.

For anyone going on the Miyagi weekend, this would be a great area to explore. The area around the 50 road has TONS of stuff, I barely scratched the surface of all the roads running in through there.
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

EigerMike

Re: TNF 50, 41 and Bowman Lake area

Postby EigerMike » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:40 am

great pics! :D
South Side Keeper

Paynes Creek 2017

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:24 am

Thanks!

I had to be disciplined and stop for pics - I only had the SLR with me instead of the snappy shooter and it was a pain to stop, open the bag, get the camera out, shoot, and put it back in with its padding. I think I got enough though.

This area was a LOT of fun to ride! 60 miles is all I can take with no power steering and the 26" Bighorns! Not bad for 5 hours though.

The most fun of the day was climbing up Quartz Hill. While there's no technical stuff, the waterbars are big, and some are off camber and I'm always afraid of coming down unevenly - and it's a steep mountainside drop off of each.
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

EigerMike

Postby EigerMike » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:36 am

you did a great job! worrying about the camera is not fun and takes away from the ride,but the pics make up for it! keep up the great work. =D>
South Side Keeper

Paynes Creek 2017

ontherks
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby ontherks » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:55 pm

Thats always a good ride. The other one I like is going over to heness pass and milton resivor. Last time I did that loop it was 101 miles.
'14 XP4 1k

HAVOC5150
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

Re: TNF 50, 41 and Bowman Lake areaMa

Postby HAVOC5150 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:37 pm

Man, that looks like an awesome ride. How is the fishing at those lakes that you come to up at those elevations? Do they see much human traffic (non ATV type). 100 miles, how much gas did you use, I know a noob question just trying to figure out how my Rancher will do.

Best regards
Bryan

auendave
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby auendave » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:18 am

Nice pics, looks to be a very enjoyable ride :D
Paynes creek 2013