Robinson Flat area ride

Now post your ride photos

Moderator: hemingray

hemingray
Certified: OBSESSED

Robinson Flat area ride

Postby hemingray » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:19 pm

Robinson Flat is the end of the pavement for Foresthill Road. You can ride to several places from here. After a couple of weeks of non-stop work, I decided to check out some areas for future riding Grizzly Guy and I tried to access some of this but were blocked by snow a few weeks ago.

Despite a sunny start to the day, by the time I got to the North Fork canyon view near Westville, the clouds were gathering to the east.

Really cloudy - and it's raining over there (looking south towards US50)

Over off Foresthill Rd is a sign for Function Junction, so this must be Malfunction Junction. This sign is actually placed wrong - Cavenah Ridge (mispelled here too) is the 44 road, straight away from the camera.

Every good ride has a good tree!

Spring in July - the paintbrush is vivid.

The skies continued to look like rain and I got spattered but not enough to put on the raingear yet.

A very odd cabin. Top floor enclosed, middle is a big covered deck. The bottom is caged and enclosed. Kinda cool.

The sun came out, affording a nice view to the west above a small ridge outcropping.

Returning to Soda Springs Road, a nice view of the North Fork Canyon. The forested hump in the middle off the picture divides New York Canyon on the left and Sailor Canyon on the right. The small brown area in the middle of the forested area is the Sailor Canyon Mine, which I will visit in a bit.

Further down Soda Springs Road, on a side road, is the remnant of the Lost Emigrant Mine.

Continuing from the camp, situated on a very lush meadow, a steep rocky climb brings you to another mine, no doubt later in vintage as there's a rusty V-8 engine block in the winch machinery.

Riding a little further up the hill produces the mine shaft, with rails leading down.

The view from the other side shows a shaft. Tossing some rocks down showed the shaft is still open. The clattering went on for a bit - a deep one. The little white patch at the bottom is snow!

Back up the ridgetops, the rabbit ears are in bloom. Very fragrant when riding past these "fields".

Back to Robinson Flat and loaded up the quad. Then 1.5 miles west on Foresthill Road brings you to the Sailor Flat Rd. I unloaded and ran down to Sailor Flat itself. From there, I rode down the "jeep trail" shown on maps down to the trailhead for the Sailor Flat trail. While it's suitable for 4WD vehicles, it's quite steep. There is room for maybe 9-10 vehicles at the bottom. Anyway, this is a look at one of the steepest sections. I wish I had taken more pictures - it was fascinating down there.

Back up at Sailor Flat proper is the old bunkhouse for the nearby mine.

Dinner anyone?

The ceiling of the kitchen/dining area had shreds of newspaper stapled to it - insulation perhaps? I found one that had a date.

The only remnant here is an old gravel tumbler.

There is a pond just below the mine adit (which has been long-filled in).

And I'm outta there. This is a view a number of miles down Foresthill Road, near the shot in the morning. Across the canyon is Sawtooth Ridge, one of the areas I love off of Forest Road 19. Visible below is the old Iowa Hill Ditch, which looks like a road here.

Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

EigerMike

Re: Robinson Flat area ride

Postby EigerMike » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:34 pm

all i can say is wow! =D> great pics very cool ride! keep up the great work.
South Side Keeper

Paynes Creek 2017

GrizzlyGuy
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby GrizzlyGuy » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:10 am

More excellent shots from the master! On my map, I think I'll label that 1.5 miles of Foresthill Road as a pavement run. Not that I'd ride up there from Soda Springs and then zip down the pavement so I could check out the Sailor Flat trail. Nope, no way would I ever consider doing that... :^o
TV For Thrill Seekers: http://AdventureWorld.TV
More Videos: http://GrizzlyGuy.TV
Some More Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ATVGrizzlyGuy
Photos: http://www.GrizzlyGuy.com/ATVs
My quad: Grizzly 700, 25" Bighorns, Bash Plates,
Warn 2500 Winch

auendave
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby auendave » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:32 pm

Nice pics I really like the mines, thanks fkor posting
Paynes creek 2013

QMaze
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby QMaze » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:56 am

What an excellent place to explore, fantastic tour, thanks. I find old remnants so fascinating.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:24 pm

I'm used to this area under 10' of snow.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Rubicon_Rider

Postby Rubicon_Rider » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:48 pm

great pictures! That area was where i took my first quad ride ever back in 2006 and i remember it as great place to ride. I hear there is trail that takes you all the way to Soda Springs from there.
2006 Honda Rubicon w/HMF Penland pipe
2012 2500 Ram Laramie w/Cummin 6.7L
2010 Attitude Toy hauler
2014 Razor 1000XPS
2017 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:25 pm

Yep, it's Soda Springs Road - a county road - from Robinson all the way to Serene (Ice) Lakes, where it turns to pavement. Fun ride, LOTs to explore along the road.

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sasquatch

Postby Sasquatch » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:47 pm

Great pics, thanks for sharing!

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:21 pm

hemingray wrote: Over off Foresthill Rd is a sign for Function Junction, so this must be Malfunction Junction. This sign is actually placed wrong - Cavenah Ridge (mispelled here too) is the 44 road, straight away from the camera.

Scott and I were there last winter....went riding up the hill along the ridge...

The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:12 am

That's got to be a great ride anywhere up there, but Cavanah Ridge has such a nice open road for most of the route - must be spectacular!

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~