Soda Springs Rd

Now post your ride photos

Moderator: hemingray

hemingray
Certified: OBSESSED

Soda Springs Rd

Postby hemingray » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:37 pm

GG tempted me out to go ride Soda Springs Road from his end of the world (I would normally go from Robinson Flat). We did about 80 miles, getting stopped by snow drifts a few times.

This area can be accessed from Soda Springs (at the Ice Lakes area). Parking is problematic but we did it. You could also drive east on Foresthill Rd. from Auburn, to Robinson Flat, plenty of area to unload there.

Our quarry - the North Fork American RIver area, along with all the side roads we can find.

Down into The Cedars area, we find someone is employing goats to clear the underbrush.

We cross the North Fork American River and get onto the Foresthill Divide (east end).

At one point, the road is actually a creek - it enters at one end, follows the road, then exits, making for a cool stream crossing.

Grizzly Guy doing what he does best - waypoint marking!

Whoa - he looks up and sees scenery!

Stow yer weapons boys!

Nice outcropping of lava, with spring in bloom

Striking colors

Yay - stream crossing!

Paintbrush in bloom

Tevis Trail crossing

Devils Peak dominates this great view, which shows the mix of sedimentary, volcanic and granite of the Sierra

Snow Mountain, elevation 8,000 feet, has a LOT of snowmelt draining off. The summit is 4,000 feet above the North Fork American River.

Gives me the willies just looking at this picture. That's a 3,000 foot drop to the river below. Lots of whitewater!

Winter is harsh to these exposed trees on the ridge here.

On the rock ridge, this small flower (about the size of a silver dollar) must be the last part of the growing season - they have no leaves.

Once again, we pass through the road creek on the way back.

Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

EigerMike

Re: Soda Springs Rd

Postby EigerMike » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:59 pm

:D wow beautiful pics !!!!! looks like a great place to ride!
South Side Keeper

Paynes Creek 2017

auendave
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby auendave » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:20 pm

awesomw views and great riding what more could you ask for , I love it
Paynes creek 2013

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:28 pm

Thanks!

Much of my riding is on Tahoe Forest Road 19; it's on the opposite side of the canyon. It doesn't allow access on the eastern end as Soda Springs Rd. does. Both areas have tons of riding. Note if you plan on riding from the Soda Springs side - from the start to past the crossing of the North Fork, it's all very well signed as private property.

Once at the North Fork Bridge, here's the polite sign. After a couple of miles, the houses are gone and it's mostly forest again.

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GrizzlyGuy
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby GrizzlyGuy » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:25 pm

Dang Dave, you really know how to take great pictures! I either need your camera or I need your eye (probably both). :lol:

OK, a few of my crappier pictures. Here's Dave doing the long water section:

The power steering on his Grizzly let's him ride one-handed and shoot video at the same time:

Fortunately he wasn't riding one handed, side-saddle, shooting video and singing all at the same time! :P

Dave at some of the snow we ran into:

Obey the sign and don't be me: never-ever ride your OHV on paved roads!:

While we're talking about signs, sometimes you DON'T want to believe them. This one was wrong as there was no dead end and we ended up with a nice loop (or would have if the snow hadn't blocked us elsewhere):

On our way back, a 4x4 truck stopped me and the driver said he had to turn back at this spot, and that we'd have no chance of getting around the tree:

I replied that we'd already been around that tree, and he really ought to ride a quad. :lol:
TV For Thrill Seekers: http://AdventureWorld.TV
More Videos: http://GrizzlyGuy.TV
Some More Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ATVGrizzlyGuy
Photos: http://www.GrizzlyGuy.com/ATVs
My quad: Grizzly 700, 25" Bighorns, Bash Plates,
Warn 2500 Winch

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:19 pm

Glad you got a pic of the downed tree! I have the urge to pack the chainsaw and go back.

As for the snow, I wonder how much further we could have pushed up the 43 Road? (only to be found later on the 96 Road paved section going to French Meadows - "but honest officer, we came through the snow but couldn't get back!")

I love my little Canon SD950 IS - it really does great for such a small camera.

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:32 pm

Sweet stuff.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

QMaze
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby QMaze » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:41 pm

Wow beautiful, you guys have the life I dream of. So lucky.

hellcat650
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby hellcat650 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:47 am

Excellent ride report. You guys are like ATV travel agents =D>
Dave x^3 (cubed)
07 Artic Cat TRV 650H1
2.5 warn winch
26" Bighorns
3.25 qts oil

GrizzlyGuy
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby GrizzlyGuy » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:36 pm

hemingray wrote:Glad you got a pic of the downed tree! I have the urge to pack the chainsaw and go back.

As for the snow, I wonder how much further we could have pushed up the 43 Road? (only to be found later on the 96 Road paved section going to French Meadows - "but honest officer, we came through the snow but couldn't get back!")

I love my little Canon SD950 IS - it really does great for such a small camera.
I thought that the Placer County Search & Rescue guys would have cut that tree out before we got back to it. Then again, they failed the "Search" part by getting themselves lost, so they might have failed "Rescue" by not having a saw. :lol:

Had Kodiak been with us we'd have known exactly how much further we could have gone: he hits the gas, you relax for 15 minutes, and wait for him to return with pictures of what the top looks like. 8)

You should move out here QMaze, lots of riding and I've still not driven more than 30 minutes to a trailhead this year. Hellcat has a heck of an idea - by the time you move, we'll be in business as ATV travel agents and can guide you right to the good stuff. :D
TV For Thrill Seekers: http://AdventureWorld.TV
More Videos: http://GrizzlyGuy.TV
Some More Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ATVGrizzlyGuy
Photos: http://www.GrizzlyGuy.com/ATVs
My quad: Grizzly 700, 25" Bighorns, Bash Plates,
Warn 2500 Winch

QMaze
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby QMaze » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:41 am

GrizzlyGuy wrote:
hemingray wrote: You should move out here QMaze, lots of riding and I've still not driven more than 30 minutes to a trailhead this year. Hellcat has a heck of an idea - by the time you move, we'll be in business as ATV travel agents and can guide you right to the good stuff. :D
I would love to move out there especially now, my biggest concern is employment. Not sure how it is there but IT people where I live in Windsor, ON, its the like the land that technology forgot here. I only have family keeping me here now but other than that, put the house up for sale and leave.

I think Apple administration would be stronger in the US too, in Canada they haven't adopted Macs so readily, brutal.