I think i can compete with ken now.

Now post your ride photos

Moderator: hemingray

EigerMike
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby EigerMike » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:08 pm

you hit one rock and it busted like that!!!! i wouldnt weld them up ,being all three are broke.i would get some new ones then guset them before you put them on! i would be keeping an eye on the other one and if you can replace them bolth :( i would move this to the popo fourm!
South Side Keeper

Paynes Creek 2017

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:38 pm

Well dude, I'm not sure the fawk you did that, but you broke it good!

Other than not being able to add accessories like tracks, welding a steel plate on the bottom of each A arm would help tremendously. I have the bolt on Polaris guards on mine, but they really don't afford much protection to the arm itself, more of a protection of the CV boot and axle shaft.

If you don't have access to a welder, next time you're up in these parts, I can probably do it for you. Might even have a couple pieces of metal laying around for that.
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:43 pm

Holy SHITE AJ....

You have surpassed me my friend. I have never done, nor have I ever seen one like that.

Kendo is right....I have skid plates welded into mine...which do provide more strength. Jack has the template....though it's not a super complicated shape.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

roon101
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby roon101 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:08 pm

thanks guys mike i wasn't going to weld that one it is blasted no way is that gonna happen.

so you can weld to the metle here let me end he story with a hell of a kicker

i am going to pismo with a bunch of my famliy 23dr--26th yes that is this thursday so i have the local polaris dealer overnighting a new a arm for me and i basicly told him if he donsnt have it by tomarow i am screwed.

and sens i am hauling all 6 quads that where taking i kinda don't have a choice but to go rather my quad is working or not and what the hell is with shops not being open on mondays that is so stupid

i have i welder in my garge kendo but that is awsome you would weld it up for me yea my first thought was i think i need some stronger and the kick of all of it was that i was only going about 10mph when it happen
06 Polaris sportsman EFI 500 H.O.
25inch maxxis big horns.

roon101
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby roon101 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:45 pm

do i need do any thing to the axle before i put it back together
i checked it it looks fine

i am not sure if it needs any kinda of grease or not or what not

never delt with this before any thing helps.
25inch maxxis big horns.

MrBill

Postby MrBill » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:36 pm

A-arms 05 or later.
After 04 they changed them longer travel and different A-arm.
But 500, 700, and 800 should all fit.
On the polaris online parts you can move all the way to the right and it will have a fits. click on that and you will see all the that fit that part number. the - after the part number is for color.
Red loc-tite I would not do. I would change bolt to grade 5 or better and use bule loc-tite and check torque often. I have seen red loc-tite take threads out with it when removing.
I see from picture your bolts did not brake or come out.
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

traildad
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby traildad » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:57 pm

roon101 wrote:thanks guys mike i wasn't going to weld that one it is blasted no way is that gonna happen.

so you can weld to the metle here let me end he story with a hell of a kicker

i am going to pismo with a bunch of my famliy 23dr--26th yes that is this thursday so i have the local polaris dealer overnighting a new a arm for me and i basicly told him if he donsnt have it by tomarow i am screwed.

and sens i am hauling all 6 quads that where taking i kinda don't have a choice but to go rather my quad is working or not and what the hell is with shops not being open on mondays that is so stupid
Well you could take a few hundred extra dollars and rent a bad sand quad.
i have i welder in my garge kendo but that is awsome you would weld it up for me yea my first thought was i think i need some stronger and the kick of all of it was that i was only going about 10mph when it happen
:shock:
Maybe this hit was the straw that broke the camel's back. It could have been stressed or cracked from trying to keep up with Ken. One last hit was all it could take. If you want to keep up with the big dog, bring lots of money. :lol:
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Mine
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Wife's
We love to go Trail Riding and "ATV Backpacking"

roon101
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby roon101 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:56 pm

naa we are taking 6 bad sand quads already 2 yahmaha 450 raptors
2 honda 450's and my quad :D

and my wifes 250
that is just the lot that i am hauling

i dont' know what els some of them are bringing
but it should be a good party lots of pics will be up soon as i get back.
25inch maxxis big horns.

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:25 pm

roon101 wrote:naa we are taking 6 bad sand quads already 2 yahmaha 450 raptors
2 honda 450's and my quad :D

and my wifes 250
that is just the lot that i am hauling
Good Lord - how about a picture of all that on a trailer!!

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:23 am

I have 2 extra a-arms if it doesn't arrive. You can have one and give me the one that arrives.

They're brand new and I just use them with my tracks (Tracks won't bolt up with my skid plates).
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

roon101
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby roon101 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:58 am

ken if it dosn't arrive i will be contacting you
man that is so awsome if you could do that.
25inch maxxis big horns.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:13 am

Seriously not a problem.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

popotim
Just opened an account at Cabelas

A-Arm protector

Postby popotim » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:48 am

Check out the Stick Stoppers I posted under Gear and Gizmos. They bolt on your A-arms with some aluminum u-bolts on top of some spacers and there is a little space between the front of the stick stopper and the leading edge of the a-arm. This was designed to provide a crumple zone for a hard hit on the leading edge, and the stick stopper will bend or more likely the u-bolts will fail before you have damage to your a-arm. They provide extra u-bolts on request (which I carry with me) in case this happens. Still can't drive into a boulder at 50 mph. They also provide a lot more protection than just welding a tri-angle to your lower a-arm.
sp 08 800, Polaris 3500 winch, 26 in. Mudlite XTR's, ATV-Guru front bumper, Ricochet skid plate, Stickstopper A-arm protectors, Garmin 60Cx gps.

sp 04.5 500 H.O. 25 in. Mudlite XTR's Stickstoppers.

roon101
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby roon101 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:09 pm

it is all back together now got the part in this smorning working and so
thank god i thought i was going to be quadless at pismo for 3 days

thanks ken for the offer of the help after purchesing a new one from a dealer i ordered a set from ebay for like 40 bucks for another set for spares case that ever happens again.

and kendo i think i may take you up that sens i just relized my father inlaw sold his welder

and oh yea i suck at welding after looking at a few things i did in the past i was like oh that is why i didn't do much welding.

thanks again guys.
25inch maxxis big horns.

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:32 am

Best bet would be to bring your set of spares over, and we can weld the plates to them. Once that's done, replace the others and we can weld plates on those too.
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS