Paiute trail

Talk about Trails. Got a good one? We want to know!

Moderator: hemingray

DAVE
Is Totally Obsessed

Paiute trail

Postby DAVE » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:58 am

oldtrucks
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby oldtrucks » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:08 pm

I was watching ATV TV the other day and they mentioned a width restriction on some of the trails in the system. They said 50" was the max, which would limit it to quads, so the Utilty owners were unhappy. With my ITP wheels and the Bighorns I'm right at 49 1/2" in the rear. I'm pretty sure I could run the pressure up and narrow it up another inch or more. Just another reason not to put spacers on.
Larry (ATV Ansel)

Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces

[url=http://www.offroadobsession.com/store]Offroad Obsession[/url]

[url=http://www.rallyontherocks.com]Rally on the Rocks![/url]

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:33 pm

50"...yeah, that would knock out the big ones.

Funny. When I was looking to buy a trailer, Pacific Trailer off Longview on 80, had a nice trailer. BUT....the gates on the side where you put the quad in, were 49 " wide!

That gives you 1/2" clearance (Clarance) on each side with a stock Polaris. I would seriously wonder if I could get mine on with 589's and definitely think Steve's 800 with Mudlites and spacers would be too wide.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:44 pm

Get a snowmobile trailer..... :)
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:48 pm

Mr. Miyagi wrote:Get a snowmobile trailer..... :)
What would I need that for? I have a 3 ATV trailer....The Pacific Trailer was before I bought mine.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:29 pm

They're cool.... You load quads from the side using a ramp that's provided (or in you case your ramps) Tie downs a breeze (similar but a little easier) and you can get the square or angled front end. I'm planning on going with the angled front for easy on/off snowmobile access.

Triton makes great trailers.... Actually, Double D (Chadd sells them at Glende). I have a link, however it's at work..... Try Triton or Tritontrailers.com or Yahoo search....

All aluminum all weather..... :) It never rusts....
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

DAVE
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby DAVE » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:48 pm

Ya with the new mud lites and new wheels I think I am real close to 50'', I know that it won't fit in my trailer anymore. I am thinking of buying a car trailer so I can haul the quads and a car if I need to. Looks like I can get one for $1650 or so.

DAVE

Chadd

Postby Chadd » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:09 pm

Ken wrote:
What would I need that for? I have a 3 ATV trailer....The Pacific Trailer was before I bought mine.
Read the above post again DUMMY... He already has a trailer... :?
2007 Can-Am 800 XT, Full skid Plates, HMF Exhaust, Dobeck EFI Controller, AKA Zuki Eater Huh Larry.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:23 pm

Chadd wrote:
Ken wrote:
Read the above post again DUMMY... He already has a trailer... :?

Feel my pain Chadd.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Chadd

Postby Chadd » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:19 pm

YOUR pain? Unfortunatly it's EVERYBODYS pain....LMAO
2007 Can-Am 800 XT, Full skid Plates, HMF Exhaust, Dobeck EFI Controller, AKA Zuki Eater Huh Larry.

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:42 am

What would I need that for?
Hummm, no idea how I read that wrong......lol

Anyway, the sled trailers are the way to go.... You can trailer three quads without having to push one over the wheel wells.... and there's no gates to lift up and down..... :) Smooth.....

BTW - I was curious, can you get three 800's on your trailer?

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:01 am

If they don't have spacers, yes.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:15 am

sled trailors are cool most of the time. issUes I have with them though is they sit a lot higher up as they have to have the platform above the wheel weels, which makes a higher center of grvity. Alos 90% of the time they do not come with full size tires. they are usually 9 inch tires, which is good on short trips, but you get a 9 inch tire spinning @ 55 car speed and they are spinng really fast, need to make sure they stay lubed. . .
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:45 am

I completely agree. I'd rather have roughly 2500 lbs in Quads lower in height and sitting on a REAL tire.

ATV's are higher than sleds and have a higher center of gravity. Add a trailer with that weight a good foot higher, and you definitely have to be more cautious....especially considering, many of the roads to riding places (Rubicon, Downieville, Dusy) are REALLY curvy.

As for the tires, I have a spare...but if something happened to that, on a long trip, it would be nice to be able actually get a regular tire, instead of trying to track down a specialty tire.

Short hauls....the small tires are fine...but long hauls? Give me a real tire.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

BradM
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby BradM » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:22 pm

Ken wrote:I completely agree. I'd rather have roughly 2500 lbs in Quads lower in height and sitting on a REAL tire.

Yep. Some real nice pearls you're casting out there, Ken. I'm the same, I use real tires on my trailer, and as high of load range as I can.

I've seen those girly tires pop under load on long Nevada backroads.
http://www.intrepidexplorers.org/