Rides off I-80 and Foresthill

Talk about Trails. Got a good one? We want to know!

Moderator: hemingray

hemingray
Certified: OBSESSED

Rides off I-80 and Foresthill

Postby hemingray » Mon May 30, 2016 3:53 pm

When I came here back in 2007, I didn't know where the heck to go ride the quad. Here are a few ideas with easy access and miles of riding.

Forest Road 19

TNF FR-19 can be accessed from either Yuba Gap, or at Emigrant Gap. At Yuba, turn right at the Kelly Lake intersection onto Lake Valley Rd and go a couple of miles to where the 19 starts (dirt) on the left. On that side you can ride the 19 all the way around to Texas Hill and a lot more. FR-38 goes out to Huysink Lake and Sugar Pine Point. Or, exit at Emigrant, turn right and follow the road for a few miles around to the North Fork Campground. Continue, and on the left is the 45 road, which doesn't go anywhere but has some nice views here and there. Or, continue on up the hill (paved and narrow) to where the paving stops. The 19 goes left, or on the right you can ride out to Helester Point, Sawtooth Ridge and wrap back to the 19 and go to Big Valley Bluff, Quartz Mountain and some super scenic riding. The views out there are spectacular.

Forest Road 85

I don't know what the current status is, but I used to pay the $5 at the Cisco Grove campground and ride from there. Some nice riding out to Upper Lola Montez Lake, and you can ride to Signal Peak, the Committee Crossing (Fordyce) and to Fordyce Lake itself.

Foresthill Road

After the OHV and China Wall, Deadwood Road actually has a bit of riding, more than you'd think. There's a "jeep road" down to the river (North Fork of the Middle Fork) and an old mine site. Hopefully it's still rideable, I rode before the fire out there.

Further on, there's a right turn onto the 13 road to the right - 6 miles of paving to Function Junction, or you can ride it from the Karmac Mine area further up. It's pretty well burned over from the American Fire in 2013, but still has lots of green and some nice vistas.

There are short rides to the left to the Tadpole Canyon area and the road to Sailor Flat.

At Robinson Flat - a great launching point - you can ride Soda Springs Road (with numerous branches and fantastic views)

Or you can go down the 43 road to the 44 road (Cavanah Ridge) for tons of stuff, which has the great Last Chance Road and some riding across Mosquito Ridge Road in a couple of spots where you can shoot across. You can also access the 44 road off Mosquito Ridge Road. The 33 road is not so very exciting, pretty much flat and out and around endless turns, but there is the Cuckoo Motorway (or so it says on the old topo maps) and a few local views.

Bowman Lake

Tons of riding here. I made this map one day, just for fun. Its not done though.

Truckee

Lots here of course, my faves are out by Boca Reservoir and up to Verdi Peak, and Little Truckee Summit. At LTS you can drive to Webber Lake and there are jump-off points left and right to Meadow Lake, Haypress, Bonta Saddle and so on. Or, launch right at LTS on Treasure Mountain Road, or cross the highway to Cottonwood Road and lots of riding to Bear Valley OHV, Sardine Peak, Heness Pass Road.
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

EigerMike

Re: Rides off I-80 and Foresthill

Postby EigerMike » Tue May 31, 2016 5:36 pm

dang dave lotts of work ! t :D hanks for shareing!!!!!!!!!!!!
South Side Keeper

Paynes Creek 2017

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:44 am

Nicely done.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Ben10
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Postby Ben10 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:53 am

So I went out to bowman yesterday. Parked my truck where it turns to dirt and an loaded the quad. Where do people normally park their trucks and trailers when bringing stuff in? I saw a lot of side by sides and didn't see any trucks or trailers parked anywhere...

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:55 pm

That's the place I park. There have been days when the place is crawling with trucks and trailers and other days when I am the only one. When you get to the turnoff for Lindsey Lakes, on the left is a big round area (it gets used as a corral sometimes) and that's where I usually park. The day folks usually park there, there are many others who trailer in to the camps and operate from there.

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ben10

Postby Ben10 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:45 pm

I wish there was a safe place to put a trailer. I'm sure I could pay the camp at the beginning of bowman lakes road to watch a trailer but that means driving in 10 miles, unloading, then back 10 miles to the camp then 10 miles back to dirt...

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:23 pm

I've never had an issue, it's a busy road there with people coming and going to Bowman and Lindsey Lake. You could also go up to Lindsey Lake or Carr Lake, there are campgrounds there and it connects from Carr To Lindsey and then to Bowman Road, all on dirt. Is this because you don't have the trailer locked to the truck? I'm assuming a truck ;-)

You could also go to Washington, but Gaston Road is technically street legal only.

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ben10

Postby Ben10 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:06 am

Yeah I was more referring to leaving a trailer for a few days somewhere when we camp up there. It sucks pulling a trailer all the way to sawmill.

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:21 pm

Ohhhhhhhhh! #-o Yeah, everyone here knows I only think in day trips... :-)

Maybe Washington would be the ticket. There's a campground there that some folks here use. I think it's something like River Rest?

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ben10

Postby Ben10 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:29 am

I'll look into the Washington option. Also need to go look at the 89 entrance. I have a friend with a safe spot to park not far from Truckee if I go in that way.

Ben10

Postby Ben10 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:50 pm

Anyone ever try to make it to the faucherie waterfalls on the back side of the lake? I have heard there may still be a way. Probably not legal... I know if you go across the levee to the parking lot there is a trail that looks to be blocked off but could easily be run around. The hill going down to the spillway is awfully steep tho.