Cadillac Hill

Talk about Trails. Got a good one? We want to know!

Moderator: hemingray

greenkm
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

Cadillac Hill

Postby greenkm » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:32 am

Hi all,

First time post. This September there should be 5-6 in our group that intend to ride ATV's in the Lake Tahoe area. We've been coming up every year for the past 4 years--usually in August just after the JEEP activities have died down, and riding to areas such as Independence Lake; Boca-Stampede (Verdi Peak); Blackwood Canyon; and from Homewood stage area onto the Rubicon Trail.

Unfortunately, each year, on the Rubicon we head over towards Cadillac Hill and stop and turnaround where the slope downwards begins in earnest--a short ways past the Xing towards Barker Pass. This year we want to navigate on down Cadillac Hill at least to the Rubicon Bridge. The question is just how difficult is the ascent-decent of Cadillac? Some group members are skilled riders and the rest have been riding only four years.

The machines are 2010 Sportsman 550XP w/winch; new 2013 Grizzley w/EPS; Honda Rancher w/EPS; Honda Rubicon (older Carb); 2006 Arctic Cat 650 (Carb-No Power Steering); and 2006 Arctic Cat 400 (Carb-No Power Steering). Any skid plates would be plastic factory.

Any guidance or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Kodiak
Is Totally Obsessed

Re: Cadillac Hill

Postby Kodiak » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:29 pm

Cadillac hill is way more scary looking than actually difficult in my opinion.
if you feel you need to stack rocks at the bottom of the steep part, then do it. otherwise going down i like to go slow in 4 low,
coming back up, the only time i've seen people get into trouble is when they don't commit, and go part way up the steep part, then start rolling backwards then get back in the throttle. that is a big no no here.
just start the climb and keep your weight forward and use a smooth throttle and don't slow down until you are up the steep part and past the big boulder at the top.

also if you post in the going for a ride section when you know the dates i'm sure someone will be willing to tag along and show you the line.

As for plastic skidplates. in my opinion they work great... for 1 trip on the rubicon. after that they are pretty toast. and try not to bash them too hard, cause you are actually bashing on your frame. but i ran the con and fordyce, with plastic skidplates. after that they were toast.
Angelo

My Business mention ATV Obsession and i will hook you up.
http://www.mygemologist.com
K0HMR
My ATV!!
2006 Kodiak 450
warn 2500 winch, heated hand grips, and full custom skid plates with wrap around steel fender guards :) and 25" Bighorn tires

Kodiak
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kodiak » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:32 pm

one more thought if its really freaking you out then just leave one rig at the top with a winch and winch down the other atvs. but you really don't need to.
Angelo

My Business mention ATV Obsession and i will hook you up.
http://www.mygemologist.com
K0HMR
My ATV!!
2006 Kodiak 450
warn 2500 winch, heated hand grips, and full custom skid plates with wrap around steel fender guards :) and 25" Bighorn tires

greenkm

Postby greenkm » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:16 am

Hey Kodiak,

Thanks for the response.
Nobody actually freaking out. :^o It's just that no one in the group is familiar with that section of the Rubicon and we aren't heroes...we did do a foot inspection down the hill about 1/4 mile and didn't really see anything that gave us too much caution...but never got as far as Observation Point...so we knew that the more difficult part still lay ahead.

One of our main concerns was a machine breakdown; in the past no one in the group had a winch. I put on a Pro Vantage S-2500 onto my Polaris 550XP, so that issue has been muted.

Most of the group bought Collett Communicators recently, so we can talk with each other to give advice as may be needed.

Except for one group member, we're good to go with traversing some reasonably steep grades, but anticipate that Cadillac is steep and for some extended lengths of distance. Good advice on LOW and SLOW, and maintain good CG and Throttle control. If he joins us, which we'd like him to go, then we'd watch him carefully and since we have the communicators at the very least we can reassure him, if needed.

I'll keep the recommendation about posting on the Ride Section in mind...again, Thanks.

KG

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:12 pm

Cadillac has been improved the last 2 summers to be safer with concrete and such. On an ATV the two hardest spots are just after the hairpin turn....work together. The 2nd is the top at Morris Rock...it's the last hard part. Use a rope with a buddy or two holding on....that's the safest way to do it. The key to making it up Morris rock is lining up and if you've got the right line...commit. Don't stop. You stop, you crash....and lean forward.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

greenkm

Postby greenkm » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:14 am

Thanks Ken,

We'd be heading West-SW from Homewood. Looking at a GPS route with Basecamp, is the hairpin turn prior to Morris Rock? What is the grade for Morris Rock and how far is the climb?

Is the rope intended to aid the decent, ascent, or both?

KG

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:50 am

Going down, the hair pin is after Morris Rock, it's the last "major" obstacle before you descend into the Springs. Since the improvement with the concrete at the base, it has become much easier IMHO. The approach angle on Morris was also greatly improved, getting rid of the nasty hole at the base.

Morris Rock is fairly short, like an ATV and a half or so in length and the grade is just about straight up. If someone is there on the side to keep the front of the ATV stable, like everyone has said, steady throttle will get you up in about 2.3 seconds. It is intimidating, but can be done even by a novice.

As mentioned, nail the date down and I'm sure someone will be your guide. Helps to have someone there that has done it and can give pointers.

Of all your rides, I don't see much of a problem. The Honda guys will suffer somewhat because of the lack of true 4WD, but they will make it.
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS

greenkm

Postby greenkm » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:14 pm

Thanks Kendo,

Good info...pretty much what I needed.

Appreciate the many hints to nail down a date; will be riding the Tahoe area for 4-5 days. Thinking the run down Cadillac Hill should be either 13 (Friday)/14 (Saturday) of September. Perhaps Friday the 13th might not be a good idea.

Anyhow, I'll post something as it gets closer to the trip. It would be nice to have someone guide us through if it accommodates their schedule.

KG

Mr. Green
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Mr. Green » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:07 pm

hmm... thats around the time these guys do a group ride on fordyce. Its been open to anyone the last few years, something to consider. Some say fordyce is harder then the rubicon, but it was the first rock trail i did on a atv and they where nice enough to help out on any section i asked for it. Of course as with most 4x4 groups theres some good natured ribing involved though. Its also in the same area.

IS there any idea yet when the miyagi run is going to happen? Im low on funds and need 1k for a new clutch, so a need to start planing so i can make it.
09 can-am renegade

hemingray
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby hemingray » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:14 am

Yep, the Annual Miyagi ride is that weekend. The announcement is HERE

No better time to ride on the Fordyce Trail than with those who know it!
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:10 pm

Yup..that weekend is our one and only group ride...it's a ton of fun.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

greenkm

Postby greenkm » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:53 am

I'd like to thank everyone for their comments and recommendations.

Didn't ride the Rubicon this year...no Cadillac Hill adventure. The plan was to ride Cadillac on Sunday, but unfortunately on the Verdi Peak ride Saturday I hit a rock and broke my L Rear "A" arm...had to limp back to the stage area.
At least the damage was minimal and I didn't get hurt...although my Polaris did roll over.

The good news is that we did get to ride to Fordyce Lake and up to Signal Hill...the view was amazing. We took Cisco off ramp off HWY 80 and staged at some private campground. It was OK for staging, but did get a nail in a new tire. After the ride, we canvassed the area near where we parked and did see a few nails on the ground near our trucks. Be careful at this location.

On another day we rode all over the Prosser OHV area, and had a good time showing the beauty of Independence Lake to a new rider in the group.

All in all it was another terrific time visiting the Tahoe Basin again. Can't wait until next year. We stay at a family cabin in Homewood, so it's real close to the Tahoe entry to the Rubicon...I'll definitely install under carriage armor prior to the 2014 Tahoe trip...I'm certain that it would have protected my quad from the damage I encountered.

Now that it's starting to cool down some, it will be mostly Arizona desert riding until the heat picks back up next year.

KG