What would it take to do the Rubicon

Talk about Trails. Got a good one? We want to know!

Moderator: hemingray

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

What would it take to do the Rubicon

Postby MrPolaris » Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:44 pm

I am trying to see if I can plan a trip on the rubicon with a few people and my dad. My question is would he be able to do the trail with his Lancrusiser. he has a 1977 jeep style Land crusiser with pretty much stock everything. He has 31 inch tires is about all that is giving im any height other than the stck suspension and springs.

He has a winch and all that, but the ground clearance is what I am concerned about. as you all know I have done the trail a couple times with the quads, but never in a jeep so not sure what it wold take and if i should plan this. . . ? any suggestions. . .
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

Lizard
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby Lizard » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:06 pm

I think that's asking a lot from that poor Landcruiser. Not advisable in my opinion. In the best case scenerio---severe damage likely. Fifteen years ago, maybe a little rocker panel scraping, but today... god only knows.

Good luck,
Lizard
Rincon that's dialed in.

Rock Hugger
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Postby Rock Hugger » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:06 pm

If he values his sheet metal I would not take it through. I have run the Rubion trail many times in my 72 Land Cruiser, but it has over 8" of lift and 37" tires air lockers font and rear super low gears and a buch of other goodies.
Does he have power steering or any lockers's or anything? Stock gearing?

Also the Toyota Land Cruiser Association (TLCA) had their annual Rubicon run this last weekend, called the Rubithon. Some of the guys that went this year are calling it the snowbithon :lol: here is a thread from Pirate4x4
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367023

And please don't refer to a "Cruiser" as J**P like. That is like refering a Polaris Quad as Honda like quad

If I knew how to post pictures I could post a couple of my Cruiser on the Rubicon :mrgreen:

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:12 am

You'd be better off camping at Loon...and puttin' around...or if want to "go in"...just go around the Wentworth/Loon split....where we made the U turn. Although even getting past Gatekeeper could prove to be a major challenge.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:46 am

Why the Rubicon? There's thousands of miles of off road adventure..... I'd take your dad somewhere not so technical maybe like out the Yuba River way. Downeyville I think would be a great place to go with your pops...
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:53 am

what about sierra trek? possibly get in part way? do a camp at the campground there and day trip it?
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:41 am

Honda_Polaris_man wrote:what about sierra trek? possibly get in part way? do a camp at the campground there and day trip it?

Terry's right...Meadow Lake is beautiful. Great place to go.

Or just do Loon Lake....beautiful lake...and just putt around. Doing the Con in that...is asking too much. You'd be better off hiking around there.

The only problem with Downieville....is camp grounds. Other than along the hwy before the turn....I've only seen one real camp site....and that was quad only.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:18 pm

well D-Ville might be the place to go then. as i have never been all the way in i am not sure what it is like in there and what a good time to go in might be. Any suggestions? Any one want to come with? Ken and hte family as well?
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:10 pm

Go with you?? ROFL....

Not sure if I could go (whole family)...Miren's booked up for weeks with open houses.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:15 pm

was thinking in either July or August. . .
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .