El Dorado Forest/Mormon Imigrant Trail

Talk about Trails. Got a good one? We want to know!

Moderator: hemingray

kampingkris
Just opened an account at Cabelas

El Dorado Forest/Mormon Imigrant Trail

Postby kampingkris » Wed May 25, 2011 9:35 am

We were there last week. They are patroling and enforcing riding areas. So, of course, we got pulled over and reminded that we were in a non riding area.
They have new colored maps available at the station at Fresh Pond. Don't assume that a dirt road is on the list. Some of the dirt roads and ALL of the pavement (minus one) are street legal only.
It's just not ATV friendly there anymore. And while the ranger was nice to give us the warning... it's clear they will be out to enforce the rules.

Ken
Site Admin

Re: El Dorado Forest/Mormon Imigrant Trail

Postby Ken » Wed May 25, 2011 1:16 pm

kampingkris wrote:We were there last week. They are patroling and enforcing riding areas. So, of course, we got pulled over and reminded that we were in a non riding area.
They have new colored maps available at the station at Fresh Pond. Don't assume that a dirt road is on the list. Some of the dirt roads and ALL of the pavement (minus one) are street legal only.
It's just not ATV friendly there anymore. And while the ranger was nice to give us the warning... it's clear they will be out to enforce the rules.
El Dorado is NOT OHV friendly at ALL. Ramiro Villavazo is a pine cone counter...not well rounded FS guy.

This is why the El Dorado Board of Supervisors is fighting back...that county is losing $$$$$ from lack of OHV use. It's major source of $.

The only legal dirt road in all of EDC is the Rubicon Trail in the snow.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

kampingkris
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Postby kampingkris » Wed May 25, 2011 7:00 pm

We picked up two maps - one for north of 50 (includes Rubicon) and one for south of 50 which stretches into Amador county... The maps are huge. But they are easier to read and follow.
It's the closest riding area for us - although it's apparently much of the riding has been elminated... and then there's many routes which are "landlocked" with no easy ATV access... No logic.

ontherks
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby ontherks » Wed May 25, 2011 9:36 pm

So far this year since I got the Dual sport, its been great. Rangers are always stopping me and then they look and see the CA Plate and say, ok your fine.
'14 XP4 1k

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu May 26, 2011 6:57 am

kampingkris wrote:We picked up two maps - one for north of 50 (includes Rubicon) and one for south of 50 which stretches into Amador county... The maps are huge. But they are easier to read and follow.
It's the closest riding area for us - although it's apparently much of the riding has been elminated... and then there's many routes which are "landlocked" with no easy ATV access... No logic.
No logic for you the rider.

LOTS of logic, for the FS who doesn't want to manage OHV use....so they give a lot of routes that don't make loops, routes nobody would ever tow their ATV to ride...then say...HEY!..We have 1000 miles of trails!!

It's intentional.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

EigerMike
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby EigerMike » Thu May 26, 2011 9:22 pm

these landlocked trails are what really pisses me off!!! i think ken has it right they know your not going to do it so less people on the trails and then just close them cause no one is useing them! :evil:
South Side Keeper

Paynes Creek 2017

Sasquatch

Postby Sasquatch » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:16 am

Dirty B@ST@RDS!
All the more reason I need to buy a small piece of property in Dayton NV. that butts up against El Dorado Canyon... :idea: From there you could probably ride all the way into Utah if you could bring enough fuel 8)

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:18 am

I will post a story to brighten your day...no names...

But a certain officer giving tickets here...and the Rubicon from the USFS, has been assigned to riding in El Dorado County Sheriff cars on the trail...to observe....or the Sheriff won't sign off on USFS having enforcement powers.

Thanks DiAugstino

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Sasquatch

Postby Sasquatch » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:32 am

Has anyone here ridden the Elkins Flat OHV area?

Its off of North-South Rd (off Mormon Imigrant/Iron Mtn. Rd)... designated trail system for green sticker use... here is a pdf file on it -

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/eldorado/docume ... elkins.pdf

Im thinking about checking it out this weekend :idea: