Rubicon.. Am I nuts

Talk about Trails. Got a good one? We want to know!

Moderator: hemingray

doulos
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Re: Rubicon.. Am I nuts

Postby doulos » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:30 pm

Thanks Ken, that clears up the rumors. I don't drink and I always wear a helmet as well as being too darn old to get too crazy with the quad! :lol: Should be fine then.
Silver 2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE
Diablo Beadlocks w/ Pit Bull Growlers
Warn XT-30 w/ Remote
Garmin GPSMAP 62St
Moose F/R Bumpers
Ricochet Skid Plates
Plano 1510 ATV Box
Maier Hand Guards
2" Receiver
ODI Grips
Rigid D2's
RotoPax

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:01 pm

doulos wrote:Thanks Ken, that clears up the rumors. I don't drink and I always wear a helmet as well as being too darn old to get too crazy with the quad! :lol: Should be fine then.
You'll be fine.....

You should tag along with us....either day trip or a camp weekend.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

doulos

Postby doulos » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:43 pm

I'd like that! :D I don't have any friend who ride so I usually go by myself. That gets kinda old after a while. :mrgreen:
Warn XT-30 w/ Remote
Garmin GPSMAP 62St
Moose F/R Bumpers
Ricochet Skid Plates
Plano 1510 ATV Box
Maier Hand Guards
2" Receiver
ODI Grips
Rigid D2's
RotoPax

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:02 pm

doulos wrote:I'd like that! :D I don't have any friend who ride so I usually go by myself. That gets kinda old after a while. :mrgreen:

Oh yeah....Plus out there...kinda sketchy alone...something happens...even minor..and you're begging for a pull or whatever. That's what this site is about....finding someone to go riding with.

Most of time...our rides are pretty spontaneous....like this weekend...text message on Tuesday...wanna put tracks on and go camping Friday? Done. So it's a matter of either planning a ride yourself...posting and see who can go....Or when the snow goes....we'll try to post when we're going.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

hemingray
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby hemingray » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:17 pm

Ken wrote:Oh yeah....Plus out there...kinda sketchy alone...something happens...even minor..and you're begging for a pull or whatever.
Hey, I resemble that remark...!
Last edited by hemingray on Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

doulos

Postby doulos » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:38 pm

Cool beans! :D

I've been meaning to get my out of state permit, better get to it to be ready for spring!
Warn XT-30 w/ Remote
Garmin GPSMAP 62St
Moose F/R Bumpers
Ricochet Skid Plates
Plano 1510 ATV Box
Maier Hand Guards
2" Receiver
ODI Grips
Rigid D2's
RotoPax

Mr. Green
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Mr. Green » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:18 pm

if you have a choice these guys are the ones to run it with, they have a ton of exp on the trail, and will help out a new guy on the trail with only a little gruff as im a testament to it.
On the other hand they will make hard spots look easy so you think you can do it as well but the best part is even if you struggle there willing to lend a hand and get you out of any situations you may find your self in. They took me through some of the rubicon and fordyce (some say fordyce is harder no by pass etc) actually my first time rock crawling on the atv was on fordyce with this group, and it was a thrill to say the least.
09 can-am renegade

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:50 pm

Why thanks Brian. We want the newcomers to enjoy it, not be scared shitless and never come back. The level of "danger" you want to endure is up to you.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

GusinCA

Postby GusinCA » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:55 pm

Hi everybody!
My first post. I am hoping to head up that way around April 5-6 or so with my Rhino 700.

I have a lot of off road experience, and a winch (and an EPIRB, and a spot, electric heated vests, etc), but I love getting advice from people who've been there.

Maybe there's too much snow for a stock Rhino right now? Is it closed? Parts of it closed? I prefer going uphill on the way in, and downhill on the way back. Should I start in Tahoe or on the other side?

I've got my 7 year old daughter with me, but of course if anyone would like to join me, that would be great.

Any other advice as to other places near Sacramento or south along the Sierra Nevadas?

Thanks in advance for brain pickings.

Gus

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:35 pm

The storms this week should put a lot of fresh snow on it - they're saying 3-5 feet above 7,000 feet.

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:06 pm

Nice...needs it.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:55 pm

At 2200 feet we got 4.5 inches of rain from yesterday morning thru this afternoon! Yow!

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:00 pm

Gus,

Got your PM...but I'll reply here so everyone can contribute.

April...Boy..that is going to be sketchy....Reason...we just don't know the snow that's coming or not coming. If it weren't snowing right now, and didn't a whole lot more...I would say...you'd have a shot! But, it is snowing....so you're just going to have to wait and see....it could warm up...it melts a little early..and you're good to go.

There's not a lot of riding around Sacramento...Prairie City is a Cal Park. We had Greenhorn in Colfax...but that's closed..thanks BLM. One area that might work for you, is Boca/Stampede. It's off I80 past Truckee. The reason it may work and the Rubicon won't...is it doesn't get as much snow (ask GrizzlyGuy) because it's East of the main mountains....they're tapering off by then. So it's available for riding earlier.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

GusinCA

Postby GusinCA » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:03 pm

Excellent, I'll have to check it out.

Someday hopefully we can all get up there together. I know there's a big storm this weekend, but with the mild weather maybe the snow will melt a bit by mid April...

GusinCA

Postby GusinCA » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:40 pm

Well, as I'm about to pack up the Rhino and head north towards you guys, I see there's another big storm supposed to hit NorCal on Wednesday...

So I guess I'll try this whole thing again in June when my daughter is out of school. I plan on taking her on a road trip all the way to Canada, and bring the Rhino for some off roading along the way. See you then, hopefully!

Gus