Deer Valley Trail Hyw 4

Talk about Trails. Got a good one? We want to know!

Moderator: hemingray

Pepe
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Deer Valley Trail Hyw 4

Postby Pepe » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:44 pm

The Deer Valley trail is a great trail for a family run or a good day trip. It connects Hyw 4 and Hyw 88. It can be accessed form either end although I prefer the Hyw 4 side as the trail starts about 100 yards from the pavement.

From the Hyw 4 side you will be looking for the Hermit Valley campground, about 10 1/2 miles past Lake Alpine on Hyw 4. The trail is behind the campgronnd at the base of the hill and heads north. It is marked as a OHV trail.

From the Hyw 88 side its a bit harder to find. From Hyw 88 follow the signs to Hope Valley then to Blue Lakes. The pavement will end and you will go about 5 miles on a gravel road. As you arive at Lower Blue Lake there will be a three way intersection that is paved. Blue Lakes are to the right and the trail is to the left heading south.

There are two river/creek crossings that are about 12" to 18" deep and about 30 or 40 feet across. My favorite place to camp is at the southern most creek crossing, there are several informal camp sites there.
The trail is on a 500' coridor through a wilderness area so stay on marked trails. By the way Wilderness Area = NO VEHICLES of any kind.
It is'nt the hardest trail and it isnt just a dirt road but it is beautiful and lots of fun. I have taken stock 4x4 trucks through here but with lots of scraping. A jeep or whatever with 33" tires and a locker or two is perfect for this trail, so quads should also be perfect. Expect rutted dirt trails winding through the trees with a fair amount of rock crawling in between.

Good luck and have fun, as always Tred Lightly! :D

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:36 am

Thanks Pepe. I definitely want to check it out.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Lizard
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby Lizard » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:00 pm

My favorite camping area of all time is Hope Valley. I've ridden trails (short trails) off of Blue Lakes road but never up that far. Now I'm intrigued. I'll have to give it a try this summer. I have an area I camp in several times a year just off the road along the creek.

Cool, Thanks Pepe.
Rincon that's dialed in.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:54 pm

What we should do is plan one together somewhere...
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:05 pm

Yeah, this weekend.... Great weather for a ride... lol
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Lizard
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby Lizard » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:29 am

I would like to. I'm sure there's too much snow there right now. That area gets alot of snow (Blue Lakes road is a popular snowmobiling area). On the map it only looks about 5-7 miles long.
Rincon that's dialed in.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:02 am

WAY too much snow right now....I don't think HWY 4 is open past Alpine Lake until late spring.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:40 pm

Excuses, excuses.... I'm buying a snowmobile.... :)
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:43 am

Get 2...I'll "excuse" with you.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director