NO CAL Riding Spots

Talk about Trails. Got a good one? We want to know!

Moderator: hemingray

Rode That
Wears Teal Eddie Bauer clothes

NO CAL Riding Spots

Postby Rode That » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:28 pm

Help...I'm a rider from Southern California wanting to explore Northern California riding spots on my quad. Which spots are a must, which are a maybe, and which should I avoid? Thank you so much!!

ATV'er
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby ATV'er » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:46 pm

what type of riding to you like to do?

You can check out this web site too:

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/

Rode That

Postby Rode That » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:21 pm

Thanks for the website tip. I checked it out and it is very helpful. I'm used to mostly open desert riding (Ocotillo Wells, Johson Valley, Stoddard Wells, etc.) and a little bit of dune riding (Glamis, Pismo, Dumont). I have not been past Pismo, and a lot of the NO. CAL. riding pictures look very different than what I am used to. That is the reason I was hoping to get some feedback from actual riders on which spots are worth putting on my "to-do list." Are you from Northern California?
Not a big fan of Eddie Bauer. :)

roon101
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby roon101 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:45 pm

and what type of quad are you riding sport or utitlty

first off stay away from prerie shitty
06 Polaris sportsman EFI 500 H.O.
25inch maxxis big horns.

ATV'er
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby ATV'er » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:25 pm

Rode That wrote:Are you from Northern California?
Yes, I'm just east from sacramento. Most of us are from this area. Tahoe has a lot to offer far as many fire roads, rock crawling, and other OHV trails. I would say ride with someone that knows the area. My favorite spots are the rubicon and fordyce which have a lot of rock crawling. Let us know when you are planning on being up in this area and hopefully some of us can show you around.

Rode That

Postby Rode That » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:13 am

Thanks for the tips. I ride a quad (Honda 400) and my buddy rides bikes and has a supped up samari. We are trying to make a list of all CA riding spots that are worth seeing. We've got So Cal covered, but No Cal is totally unknown territory. I've heard some incredible things about Rubicon. Is there anything there for quads or is it mostly for jeeps?

Your suggestion about riding with someone who knows the area is a good one. I don't know when we'll be able to make it up there, but it would be great to meet some people familiar with the trails. :)
Not a big fan of Eddie Bauer. :)

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:18 pm

You can do the Rubicon on a quad....look at our photos...we do it all the time. But be prepared...it's a workout and hard on equipment...and don't go alone.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/