Fouts Springs in the Mendocino Forest

Talk about Trails. Got a good one? We want to know!

Moderator: hemingray

traildad
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Fouts Springs in the Mendocino Forest

Postby traildad » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:07 pm

Here is a nice ride my wife and I made in April 2007. On this ride we took a more difficult road up the hill. When you start out climbing out of the valley it is listed as a "blue" "more difficult" trail. While this is not as hard as a "black diamond" trail it is not for beginners. It is kind of a stair stepping section. Flat then straight up, flat then straight up etc. My wife got her wheel in a rut that turned her sideways as she crested one of the steps. I had to go back down a couple steps to help her get headed in the right direction again. If you prefer, there is a much easier switch back road that will take you up to the top. The ride goes close to Letts Lake. The lake is a nice place to camp but you can't ride your quad within a mile or so of the lake. Fouts Springs is an OHV area and usually pretty busy with quads and bikes. The camping in the valley isn't very scenic but other places in the forest are nice. There is running water and restrooms here and many other campgrounds in the forest. When driving in from Highway 5 the road is good until you go past the ranger station. After that it gets narrow and some spots are kind of rough.

Here is the Magellan Track file.
http://us.f13.yahoofs.com/bc/43e02bbdm9 ... GBeaWMhSUV

05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Mine
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Wife's
We love to go Trail Riding and "ATV Backpacking"