Trails with old mining stuff

Talk about Trails. Got a good one? We want to know!

Moderator: hemingray

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Trails with old mining stuff

Postby Kendo » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:30 pm

My Pops in law is coming up next month and would love to go riding where we can check out some old mining equipment, maybe even a mine or two. Don't want to drive all the way to Tonopah, maybe something within 2 hours of Auburn/Sacramento.

I have seen bits and pieces here and there on my Jeep trips, but I would like it if we could spend a day or two exploring and seeing a lot more.

Anyone have a suggestion on where to go?

Also, it's going to be July/August, so weather is a slight consideration.

I thought about Meadow Lake area, but is there enough to see/do/explore for a couple of days??
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS

Keith Strong
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Keith Strong » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:16 pm

there is a way, I dont know it yet, but you can ride from Bowman Lake road (Grouse Ridge area) all the way to Meadow.
07 Suzuki BlingQuad

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:17 am

We just did it last weekend....that gets you to Excelsior...and a couple others with 'em on a GPS.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:11 am

Ken wrote:We just did it last weekend....that gets you to Excelsior...and a couple others with 'em on a GPS.
Oh I see, I post this up and you totally ignore me, then Keith responds and suddenly you "remember" riding up there last weekend. :roll:

So, do you have any coordinates? I guess I can Google Earth them, but having the exact ones would be much easier.
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:18 am

Ha. Actually...I didn't really consider it as a mine or two. The mines in Nevada, are SO much different than here. A mine there...is a building, with bottles, cans, cars...etc.....a mine here....is a hole.

HWY 80
EXIT HWY 20 (toward Nevada City)
Go about 4 miles, turn right on BOWMAN ROAD
Follow that road, for about 12 miles. When it turns to dirt...park the bitch and ride.

You go straight. At Bowman, the first left will take you to Graniteville, Washington, and eventually Grass Valley. The second left is 4WD (not super hard) to Weaver Lake. Keep going, about 6 miles past Bowman, there's a right to Meadow Lake...with more off shoots and fire roads.

At Meadow Lake, there are so many place to ride around there....to many to describe, since many I just know...there's no names...I just turn, and there's many side roads to distract.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/