Clutch Kit Question

Be A Brute!

Moderator: hemingray

ACLakey
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Clutch Kit Question

Postby ACLakey » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:45 am

I am getting a BF 650i in the near future and have a few clutching questions for you all. My riding consists of mountain trails, snow, rocks, logs, sand mud in the trails(don't go out of the way to find it) and did I mention ROCKS. I live at 4500' and most of my riding will be in the 2500-6500' elevation range. My buddy gave me an EPI clutch kit that consists of a pink primary, a black secondary and some weights. From my understanding the stock clutching in the 650i is very simmilar to the pink/black setup.

My questions are will I gain anything by putting the EPI springs in over stock?

What about the weights, what will they do for me?

How about the weights with the stock springs what will that do?

Any information would be greatly appriceated.

Also I will be running an all-terrain tire in the 26" range

ACLakey

Postby ACLakey » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:31 am

I was looking and it also came with a red primary. What would this do compaired to the black?

monty
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

Postby monty » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:43 pm

i briefly tried the pink/black springs (with stock weights only) and found the added stall from the pink primary spring was annoying on the trails. on a tricky section if you want to creep up or across a steep section, the machine wants to jump instead of inch along. the black secondary was alright, and is still on my 650i. the pink is in my spare parts box, and the stock spring (which has a pink stripe on it) is back in my clutch.

but with weights, the whole thing needs to be looked at differently. with the weights, you may not have high stall with the pink primary. it is a balance between rpm, weights, spring pressures, load, ect.. and with different weights the balance may be right where you want it.

you should ride it with stock stuff for a while until you will be able to tell if changes made are good or bad. you gotta make sure changes are doing what you want.

monty
650i with stuff

ACLakey

Postby ACLakey » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:04 pm

That was kind of along the lines of what I was thinking, thanks Monty. With the altitude I ride at it may be wise to install the kit after it is good and broke in. I just need to get a few more bills payed off and look out :D