Eiger - COMPLETE REBUILD

King of Quads

Moderator: hemingray

EigerMike
Certified: OBSESSED

Re: Eiger - COMPLETE REBUILD

Postby EigerMike » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:04 pm

im ready for the snow!!!!!!!! didnt do any motor mods i was more woried about getting the trany fixed first ! :wink:
South Side Keeper

Paynes Creek 2017

auendave
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby auendave » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:57 pm

so do we have an update on the trip I hear it was a blow out :cry: hope you get things going again soon
Paynes creek 2013

EigerMike

Postby EigerMike » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:22 pm

well this is what happens when oil does not make it into the head!

a new head which it needs is only 700.
new stock cam 225. web cam 250
2 new rockers 65. each
new piston 85.
and this isnt counting gaskets and other parts let alone why the oil didnt work!i could just clean up the head and cam the best i could and run it but that doesnt seem right.
when this all started i didnt have 5th gear and a good motor,but could ride and have for 2 years like that.now i got shit #-o
as of right now im not sure what im going to do.thinking about hanging it up for a while :shock:
South Side Keeper

Paynes Creek 2017

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:34 am

You gotta ride buddy!!

Take the money to rebuild....and buy a RZR. :)

Part out the Eiger.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Kodiak
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kodiak » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:46 am

Mike Ken's got a point whats next to go? is the question that worries me.
on the other hand is you clean it up and it works then you could only be out the gaskets etc. a 400cc engine even with a hot cam is never gonna be a rocketship and that rzr out of the box is insane!
Angelo

My Business mention ATV Obsession and i will hook you up.
http://www.mygemologist.com
K0HMR
My ATV!!
2006 Kodiak 450
warn 2500 winch, heated hand grips, and full custom skid plates with wrap around steel fender guards :) and 25" Bighorn tires

auendave
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby auendave » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:36 pm

That sure sucks Mike. I think maybe time to upgrade that is about $1500 for a down payment. What ever you decide on , I hope it all works out for you.
Paynes creek 2013

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:59 pm

Ouchie... that sucks...
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

EigerMike

Postby EigerMike » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:24 pm

belive me if i had the money i would get a new atv. with diff lock :nod: and the more i think about it a sxs seems alot better where i could bring my wife ,kids or girl friend with me :D so like i said dont know what im going to do .
South Side Keeper

Paynes Creek 2017

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:26 pm

EigerMike wrote:more i think about it a sxs seems alot better where i could bring my wife ,kids or girl friend with me
:lol:

That's funny man...that's the spirit.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Mr. Green
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Mr. Green » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:48 pm

ya its hard to give up on something you have already invested so much time and money on but that is a big chunk $ to spend on it to hopefully get it right again. I know what id do... :crybaby: :-({|=
09 can-am renegade

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:15 am

So what all do you need Mike? Is the crank and cam toast? Everything else OK? Can you clean up the head journals and reuse it, or is that toast too? Need any help putting it all together?

I just sold my old yellar 700 Poo, or I would have offered it to you. Would have been a good machine for you, plenty big enough and the vaunted Poo AWD system. 8)

Let me know if I can help out.

Ken

EDIT: Sorry, I just saw the list under your pics. I'll look around and see if I can find something online....
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:02 am

Oh and BTW Mike, don't get too discouraged. My most recent triumph was over my Duramax. I took it down the week before Thanksgiving to do headgaskets and injectors. No small task. I managed to get it all back together in about a month, working weekends and evenings. I had issues though. And in the next 4 months took it apart 5 more times.

Teardown #2 - old piece of RTV sealant from the valve cover stuck to the injector cup and caused it to leak combustion pressure into the cooling system. That was neat.

Teardown #3 - return fuel line leaking, stripped out bolt on injector #6. Reused banjo gaskets (don't ever do this)

Teardown #4 - replaced aforementioned gaskets with new ones (make sure you find and account for all old gaskets!!)

Teardown #5 - replaced gaskets on BOTH sides this time. See note on #4.

Teardown #6 - performed a return line vacuum check, found leak. Gasket on return line, injector #6 leaking. Replaced. Tested. Still leaking. Crawled inside engine compartment with flashlight and investigated. Tab of old banjo gasket just barely sticking out. Expletive, expletive, expletive. Removed old one and replaced gasket.

So far so good. I have about 200 miles on it since with no evidence of leakage. Oh and I knew it was leaking because I would have about 3-4 gallons (yes, I said gallons) of diesel in my crankcase after running a tank of fuel thru the truck. I changed the oil 4 times in the last 4 months too. My motor is sparkly clean now, talk about a superior engine flush!!

It was the most frustrating problem I think I have encountered in a very long time. With everything else that's going on, I surely did not need this. So just keep your chin up and you'll get it knocked out and be riding again - I have faith.

Ken

P.S. I won't even mention how much all this cost me..........
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS

Mr. Green
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Mr. Green » Fri May 04, 2012 1:30 am

kendo thats o horror story that most people would have ended selling the truck off for way below value, im glad you got it figured out though. Also dam gallons of gas... i know after the down south boys swamp there atvs they run diesel through there engines a few times to clean them out so seems you at least accidentally did that :P
P.s. after helping my brother rebuild a old ford engine (twice), i never ever reuse gaskets or fail to clean off all the old ones no matter what. hard lessons are often the most memorable though.
09 can-am renegade

EigerMike

Postby EigerMike » Mon May 07, 2012 7:07 pm

man sorry to hear about your truck! i know its alot more spendy than my little quad! i hope you got it fixed what a pain! thinking about just cleaning up the cam, rockers and seeing if it will buy me some time. the clyinder has been bored 30 over and have the new piston .now i need to find the oil problem before i go any farther. :roll:
South Side Keeper

Paynes Creek 2017

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon May 07, 2012 11:48 pm

Did a pathway get blocked with debris when it was open?

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director