whats the problem?

King of Quads

Moderator: hemingray

EigerMike
Certified: OBSESSED

whats the problem?

Postby EigerMike » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:10 pm

quad runs all day long great but if you put a load on it for an extended time it will just die then it will only start with the choke on. but if you try to run it it dies out .so if you keep the choke on and just let it rev for a while ,like a few minutes you can finally ride away and its fine. if i stay in the 35mph range it will run great maybe a little rich but it runs strong. dont know what to check? any help would be thankfull!
South Side Keeper

Paynes Creek 2017

MrBill

Postby MrBill » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:28 am

Pull the plug and check the color and see if it is running rich of lean.
You have been riding often so gas gone bad should not be the problem.
You might check the backing in your HMF pipe. might be pluged up. Time to get new packing?
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

roon101
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby roon101 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:09 pm

you probley have but sounds like a fuel filter issue could be it as well or a dirty line.

maybe i know when i put mine under water and filled the motor with water that the fuel lines where full of gunk so i changed them walla problem solved.

i always check simple things first but if you did work on the carb i would assume you changed the fuel filter. but some times you half to run. it and put a new filter in. sevral times.

EigerMike

Postby EigerMike » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:44 pm

anybody repack there pipes? ive allways have them do it but maybe i can screw that up to!!!!!!!! yes it is rich i just dont understand why it just dies only in the high gear or when a big load is put on it for a few minutes then dead.it will start right up only if the choke is on if you take it off it dies immediately. even with the choke on any throtel will kill it to! ](*,) but it runs great untill this happends and after you get it going it will run fine, hope to figure it out!
South Side Keeper

Paynes Creek 2017

MrBill

Postby MrBill » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:57 pm

EigerMike wrote:anybody repack there pipes? ive allways have them do it but maybe i can screw that up to!!!!!!!! yes it is rich i just dont understand why it just dies only in the high gear or when a big load is put on it for a few minutes then dead.it will start right up only if the choke is on if you take it off it dies immediately. even with the choke on any throtel will kill it to! ](*,) but it runs great untill this happends and after you get it going it will run fine, hope to figure it out!
I have never re-packed any of them, but you could take the screws out gut it and give it a good hard run and see..
Help me here ...Is this carb or EFI? (yea I know I'm a Popo man)
You might have the mid range jet on the carb clogged. (some of the small vaccum ports on the inside of the carb.) Or even a main jet just half way plugged?
Main half plugged would sound like it because of the gas demand at high range or big load vs. no load runs.

EigerMike

Postby EigerMike » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:09 pm

this is a carb not EFI.would the float hight do this to high to low just asking?
South Side Keeper

Paynes Creek 2017

MrBill

Postby MrBill » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:38 am

EigerMike wrote:this is a carb not EFI.would the float hight do this to high to low just asking?
The only thing I could think is if the float is to low, you would run out of fuel supply and them it would fall on its face till the bowl got more fuel.
To high you would see fuel coming out of the carb. vent tube.( if it has one)

ATV'er
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby ATV'er » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:58 pm

I think its time for a new polaris. :mrgreen:

roon101
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby roon101 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:01 pm

that is funny. so mike all need is like about 9k. lol
and your in good shape.

EigerMike

Postby EigerMike » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:34 pm

could it be the throtle cable not enough play ? when i turn to the right it ideals faster and to the left it slows down.could it be that the throtle is runing all the way opened and then runing out of gas?
South Side Keeper

Paynes Creek 2017

EigerMike

Postby EigerMike » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:35 pm

scott i could probably screw it up to! :oops:
South Side Keeper

Paynes Creek 2017

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:59 pm

MrBill wrote:The only thing I could think is if the float is to low, you would run out of fuel supply and them it would fall on its face till the bowl got more fuel.
Actually, the vacuum CVT type carbs need the float level to be pretty much dead on. It depends on the atmospheric pressure on the top of the fuel to act as a 'push' of sorts ot push it thru the main jet. Too much pressure (I'm using that term loosely) and you get a rich condition, too little and it's lean.

As far as your particular problem Mike, I'm not sure. Is the main jet properly sized? Have you messed with that at all? As much as you've been thru with this carb issue, I'm surprised the bike is still in one piece. :lol:
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS

MrBill

Postby MrBill » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:07 pm

Kendo wrote:
MrBill wrote:The only thing I could think is if the float is to low, you would run out of fuel supply and them it would fall on its face till the bowl got more fuel.
type carbs need the float level to be pretty much dead on. It depends on the atmospheric pressure on the top of the fuel to act as a 'push' of sorts ot push it thru the main jet. Too much pressure (I'm using that term loosely) and you get a rich condition, too little and it's lean.

As far as your particular problem Mike, I'm not sure. Is the main jet properly sized? Have you messed with that at all? As much as you've been thru with this carb issue, I'm surprised the bike is still in one piece. :lol:
What the F is is a CVT?
What the F is PSIA?
KENDO will fix it for your...

EigerMike

Postby EigerMike » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:14 pm

the jets were changed when i put the pipe on 4 years ago.it seems when i took the carb off the first time the float level was not were it is now but it did run and never died like it will now. thanks for the help guys mike
South Side Keeper

Paynes Creek 2017

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:33 am

MrBill wrote:
Kendo wrote:
type carbs need the float level to be pretty much dead on. It depends on the atmospheric pressure on the top of the fuel to act as a 'push' of sorts ot push it thru the main jet. Too much pressure (I'm using that term loosely) and you get a rich condition, too little and it's lean.

What the F is is a CVT?
What the F is PSIA?
KENDO will fix it for your...
OK, let me correct my mistake - a CV carburetor (constant velocity).

PSIA is per square inch ACTUAL, versus PSIG per square inch gauge. PSIG accounts for atmospeheric pressure of 14.7 psi and uses that as zero. PSIA is a true zero so atmospheric pressure measures 14.7 on a PSIA gauge.

Now that we're past that, I am done, let Mr. Bill the REAL expert fix it for you. I was merely trying to make some more suggestions.

Kendo OUT!!!
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS