eiger carb prob

King of Quads

Moderator: hemingray

EigerMike
Certified: OBSESSED

eiger carb prob

Postby EigerMike » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:00 pm

well couldnt ride this weekend due to my carb problem.started as just a ideling prob now just wont start.took apart carb cleaned all the jets ect, put back on started right up idle good then give it throtle dies,tryed piolt screw really got it ideling good then it just dies,so this morning itry one more time take carb off check float level looks off bring it back to speck as per manual put all together starts barley with my throtel all the way in fires up now it just sputers wont clear up then it dies im pissed wont even try to start,take sparkplug out it dripping wet,hit starter to clean it out and gasshots out into my face :lol: this thing has gas every where now im more pissed because i didnt get to ride and still didnt fix it! :evil: took it off will look and clean at work.if anybody has an idea as where to start let me know! or if you just want to make fun of me let me have it! :oops: i need to get it back running and running right i dont think it has for a while. any way just venting more than anything!thanks mike
South Side Keeper

Paynes Creek 2017

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:27 am

If there's that much gas in there Mike, it sounds like you may have more of a problem than just an adjustment. Maybe something is sticking open, like the needle valve?

I don't know what kind of carb Suzuki uses, but there are only a couple of ways that much gas can get into the cylinder. Most likely a piece of dirt or something got in there and it just needs to be cleaned.

Hard to diagnose over the net though. :)
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS

regor
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Postby regor » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:45 pm

2 simple thoughts as i own an o4 eiger. Is the choke on? also what position is the fuel valve on?
05 king quad
o4 eiger
08 can am 650 max xt

EigerMike

Postby EigerMike » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:55 pm

regor the fuel is in the on postion not the prime the choke was put on only after it wouldnt start.
South Side Keeper

Paynes Creek 2017

EigerMike

Postby EigerMike » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:16 pm

hey kendo the suzukis are keihin cvk32ss , think i need to adjust the float but when i took it apart today the pilot jet needle is bent at the tip must have caught on somthing :roll: allso where the choke comes in there is a plastic thread into the carb i need to replace that because the threads are wore out :oops: what a sucky way i hate plastic treads anyway so now my float try to adjust it but not sure if its right say .5 from cap to top of float but is that when it just touches the needle valve? what about my jet needle doesnt look bad but at this point who knows! ](*,) anyway thanks for the help guys really want to get it fixed! need to ride :wink:
South Side Keeper

Paynes Creek 2017

EigerMike

Postby EigerMike » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:45 pm

going to try one more time to put it on after work tomoro! my float was way out finally had the suzuki man show me how ! i was liftting the needle up instead of the inside of it! if that makes sence :roll: hope it will go good so i can go rideing!
South Side Keeper

Paynes Creek 2017

roon101
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby roon101 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:20 am

hey mike i am just woudering how much is a new carb that may be last resort but somtimes it is worth just going that route just to cure the furstration and if you need all new parts for the carb

i am not to good with carbs and stuff.
but i have learned the hard way. more then once

sorry hope you get it fixed soon
06 Polaris sportsman EFI 500 H.O.
25inch maxxis big horns.

ATV'er
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby ATV'er » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:25 am

it may be cheaper to have it rebuilt if necessary. You best luck would be to take it to the dealer and have there mechanic work on it.

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:08 am

Awww poop!!! The hell with the nay sayers Mike, you can fix it!! These guys give up too easily.

If your float level is that far off, there's a good chance that's your problem. I'm not sure how it would have gotten out of adjustment that far, but.........

On mine, if you turn the carb on it's side and allow the float to come to rest and gently seat the float needle you should be able to get a good read on where the level is right now. Then go from there, bend the little tab one way or the other to get it where you want it. Personally, if it gives you a range (in the service manual), I prefer to adjust on the lower end of the spectrum. The lower the float, the better it should run up high. Too much fuel in the bowl will raise the pressure at which it pushes thru the passages and therefore will be more prone to flooding.

BTW - a rebuild will only be gaskets and possibly the needle and seat anyway. So unless it's really running poorly or is leaking fuel, that probably won't make much difference.

I would replace that pilot needle though, if it's bent. That will make it virtually impossible to adjust your idle.

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:21 am

Dunno if you've seen this, but it's good and with pics!

http://myural.com/keihin_32cvk_disassembly.htm

Kodiak
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kodiak » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:39 am

wow kendo you have a plethora of knowledge on the subject cool link
Angelo

My Business mention ATV Obsession and i will hook you up.
http://www.mygemologist.com
K0HMR
My ATV!!
2006 Kodiak 450
warn 2500 winch, heated hand grips, and full custom skid plates with wrap around steel fender guards :) and 25" Bighorn tires

EigerMike

Postby EigerMike » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:45 pm

new carb,301.00 #-o
have it rebuilt dealer probably more! :evil:
i really think that i will overcome this carb problem :roll:
hey kendo i do have that what a great set of instrutions!
tryed tonight with the new float hight and some what straightend pilot needle started up but then it started running or i should say sputtering and wouldnt run but then i pulled the enricher farther than it was seemed to get better but not even close to running right! think the enricher might be the problem?well dont look like im rideing any time soon :cry: guess i could ride the 450 but really want to ride some more rocks!try and find out tomorow and see if anybody has parts! thanks guys for trying to help!
South Side Keeper

Paynes Creek 2017