Battery Issue?

King of Quads

Moderator: hemingray

FishaHallic
Aka: Fishoil

Battery Issue?

Postby FishaHallic » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:45 pm

Ever since I installed my winch (well the second ride after installing winch) I have had to pull start my quad (King Quad 700-2007). After it warms up and been riden for alittle bit I can shut it off and it will start back up but after a day of sitting it won't start again.

Today I went out and disconnected the winch from the battery and charged the battery for about 1hr even though the charger indicated that the battery was fully charged and tried to start it, and again it won't start and sounds like a dead battery with motor barely turning over and a clicking sound coming from under the seat.

I put my meter to the battery after it showed a charge and my meter read about 11.86 volts? Does it sound to you guys that maybe I have a bad cell in the battery? And if it does where is the best place to by a good ATV battery?

As always, thanks for any help
07 King Quad with a little bling,
3.0 Warn Winch
Garmin 60CSX GPS (Update) broke this in rollover.

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:05 pm

Dave,

I bought one for Wendy's quad at WalMart, IIRC it was about $25. Works fine, if you're looking for inexpensive.

Personally, I like the Interstate sealed batteries for a quad application. Around here, the dealer sells them and they run about $75. I think you can order online too, but by the time it gets shipped, it might not be worth it.

11.86 Volts doesn't sound that bad, but if it can't handle the drain with the motor starting, it could be bad. Your local auto parts store should be able to test it with a load, then you'll know for sure.

Ken
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS

Keith Strong
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Keith Strong » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:05 pm

07 should still be under warranty. I would contact the dealer. That doesnt sound right to me.
07 Suzuki BlingQuad

GrizzlyGuy
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby GrizzlyGuy » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:00 pm

Yes, it sounds like you have at least 1 bad cell and possibly 2. The open circuit voltage should be around 13.6V when the battery is fully charged. Your voltage sounds typical for a fully discharged battery.

You could try disconnecting one of the battery leads (to truly open the circuit) and repeat the measurement. If you still get under 12V, and you don't think you have a bad battery charger, you probably need a new battery.
TV For Thrill Seekers: http://AdventureWorld.TV
More Videos: http://GrizzlyGuy.TV
Some More Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ATVGrizzlyGuy
Photos: http://www.GrizzlyGuy.com/ATVs
My quad: Grizzly 700, 25" Bighorns, Bash Plates,
Warn 2500 Winch

FishaHallic

Postby FishaHallic » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:33 pm

Thanks for the info, I will take it to an auto parts store on Tuesday and have them check it and if need be get a new one. Most likely just get one from Walmart since I did not see any intersate battery places in Reno. I would try the dealer about warranty but I can just see them saying that I hooked up the winch and did something wrong, just to get out of replacing it. Any way thanks for the tips. (Thank goodness it has a pull start back up, but I would rather have it start like it should)
3.0 Warn Winch

FishaHallic

Postby FishaHallic » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:39 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops: , well after further review there is no battery issue. Evidently in the process of installing the winch months ago, when I hooked up the winch power cables to the battery I must have not had the cables seated good on the battery post. I just got done shortening the winch power cables and cleaning up the wire mess I had under my seat and I took the battery out and took it back to the dealer for a load test, which came out fine. Came home and cleaned the terminals and the connections and this time make sure they were securely seated and now everything is fine :D .

Also, if you guys remember (Kendo, Nick, Jeff, Carrie and Loren) when we tested my winch at the campsite at Boca, how the winch contactor was clicking when in use, well I think this was due to the battery not having a good connection also because now it is not making that noise :oops: . Now I just need to ride my quad :( .
3.0 Warn Winch

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:44 pm

OK Dave, now I have to put you on my list of people that I ask "does it have gas in it?" "Are the bolts tight?" "Is it turned on?" and now "Do your battery cables have a good connection?" :lol:

Glad to hear it was something simple, even though it is embarrassing.
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS

Keith Strong
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Keith Strong » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:22 pm

Thats good though, at least you didnt drop the quad off for warranty and have them laugh at you :lol:
07 Suzuki BlingQuad

FishaHallic

Postby FishaHallic » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:56 pm

Keith Strong wrote:Thats good though, at least you didnt drop the quad off for warranty and have them laugh at you :lol:
Yes, that would be embarassing but probably not as bad as the list I am on now "does it have gas in it?" "Are the bolts tight?" "Is it turned on?" and now "Do your battery cables have a good connection?" :twisted:
3.0 Warn Winch

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:16 pm

Kendo wrote:OK Dave, now I have to put you on my list of people that I ask "does it have gas in it?" "Are the bolts tight?" "Is it turned on?" and now "Do your battery cables have a good connection?" :lol:

Glad to hear it was something simple, even though it is embarrassing.

ROFL...Feels like IT support, huh.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/