LTF300 4x4

King of Quads

Moderator: hemingray

bspill1
Wears Teal Eddie Bauer clothes

LTF300 4x4

Postby bspill1 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:28 pm

Great site guys! I linked over here from a Rubicon Trail website looking for ATV info. From the looks of it you guys could be a big help.

My father(healthy and strong 50 yrs.) recently showed interest in taking his Suzuki, that he uses for utility around some land he has in challenge, Bullard's bar reservoir area, to the Rubicon. first, I'm wondering if the Suzuki, even with the right equipment, is capable? Second, is my father capable? Maybe he should warm up with something moderately challenging.

Doesn't even look like there's underside armor available for his model. Maybe a rental?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:14 pm

Hey Brian,

Welcome. Unless he's a complete whimp....Physically he sounds fine. I'm 45...but then again, I'm an idiot. :) But Dan has done the Rubicon, and he's in his 60's. The hardest thing is arms and head/neck (helmet weight all day).

I don't know much about the quad...so I can't help there. But the Rubicon is all about clearance, locking diff's and balance. I wouldn't recommend your first trip's ambition to do the whole trail.

But a realistic goal, would be to go the Tahoe Side to the springs....or go to Ellis Creek and back to start off.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

oldtrucks
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby oldtrucks » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:16 pm

Brian I'm not familiar with that model. I had an early 90's Suzuki 250 4x4 and with the low range and diff lock it would climb a wall. It was lacking on ground clearance and the air cooled made it uncomfortable when riding slow on warm days. I'm pretty sure he could get it through without any problems.

I can't speak to your fathers ability but 50 isn't all that old, and I've rode with guys older than that and they did fine
Larry (ATV Ansel)

Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces

[url=http://www.offroadobsession.com/store]Offroad Obsession[/url]

[url=http://www.rallyontherocks.com]Rally on the Rocks![/url]

bspill1

Postby bspill1 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:50 pm

I love it! "wears teal Eddie Bauer clothes" too funny.

He's definitely not a wimp so that shouldn't be a problem. What kind of clearance is ideal and it is a winch, necessary?

Any recommendations on a good book or map to help on getting a better understanding on the logistics: start, stop points/time?

Thanks for the quick answers

FishaHallic
Aka: Fishoil

Postby FishaHallic » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:14 pm

First off, he is only 50? Hell, that's not old is it, I'll be 47 in less than a month and I don't feel old. Second, I don't know how much experience he has at riding a quad but I went to the Rube on my first ride on my quad and it wore me out. I barely even rode and I was tired and yes my neck did hurt from turning around and backing up and what not.

Being a newbie to rock crawling (but not quads themselves) I would suggest something a little less extreme. But what do I know, I am just a near death 47 yr old, old timer.

If you'll excuse me I must go take my geritol and my prune juice :lol: .
07 King Quad with a little bling,
3.0 Warn Winch
Garmin 60CSX GPS (Update) broke this in rollover.

DAVE
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby DAVE » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:31 pm

oldtrucks wrote:Brian I'm not familiar with that model. I had an early 90's Suzuki 250 4x4 and with the low range and diff lock it would climb a wall. It was lacking on ground clearance and the air cooled made it uncomfortable when riding slow on warm days. I'm pretty sure he could get it through without any problems.

I can't speak to your fathers ability but 50 isn't all that old, and I've rode with guys older than that and they did fine
Im glad 50 isn't that old I am just a couple of years away....that suz will go through the rubicon no problen I rode a 250 like larrys through the rubicon, the 300 is the same animal with some small diferances more cc's and a fan to blow on the engine when it gets hot. the 250 and the 300 don't have much ground clearance but they are so small you can ride around some of the rocks instead of going over them.. I like the small suz's not to much on them to break.
DAVE

Brute 750 Camo... 26'' MUDLITE XTR'S... Ramsey 3000 w/remote...eXplorist 400... Mair handguards... FlightCare Member

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:35 pm

bspill1 wrote:I love it! "wears teal Eddie Bauer clothes" too funny.
Yup...we had a noob dressed to the nines....he got with the program later.

The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

oldtrucks
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby oldtrucks » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:38 pm

Good point Dave, the smaller size allows the quad to go between things the larger quad has to go over. Winch isn't necessary as long as he goes with friends that will help if he has problems.

I know one thing for sure, the rocks are a lot harder at my age than they used to be, and I'm not referencing the difficulty of getting over or around them :wink:
Larry (ATV Ansel)

Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces

[url=http://www.offroadobsession.com/store]Offroad Obsession[/url]

[url=http://www.rallyontherocks.com]Rally on the Rocks![/url]

cajungal64
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby cajungal64 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:20 am

oldtrucks wrote:Good point Dave, the smaller size allows the quad to go between things the larger quad has to go over. Winch isn't necessary as long as he goes with friends that will help if he has problems.

I know one thing for sure, the rocks are a lot harder at my age than they used to be, and I'm not referencing the difficulty of getting over or around them :wink:
It's the "ROLLING" off of them that kicks your butt.... :twisted:
Lori

Polaris 800 which I bum from the webmaster!!!

[i]If ya gonna run with the big dawgs, you gotta quit pissin' on the porch with the poodles![/i]

bspill1

Postby bspill1 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:09 pm

Thanks guys, you've been helpful

Couple more: sound like he's pretty likely to take some spills? How much body armor, are you guys wearing, should he wear? For someone who's going to not be too aggressive is first time.