1st Annual Mr. Miyagi Memorial Ride

Stuff to know...

Moderator: hemingray

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:42 pm

ken,
when I mapped out how to get there my map program took me off i-80 @ Emigrant gap, and then going on Bowman road for about 10 miles and then that turns into madow lake road, which you are on for only about 5 miles. According to the map will only be abot 45 miles from colfax, where if i go through truckee wil be about 82 miles from colfax. . . you ever heard of Bowman road? i might try itout prior to the weekend and if it is a lot shorter reccomend that. . .
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:54 pm

Yep...I've gone both ways....In fact...you've been on it too...when we watched those locals yanking that Cherokee in the snow.

There's NO WAY it's 45 minutes.

You drive to Hwy 20 and about 4 miles before 80, you turn LEFT. You go past Spaulding and about 10 miles in....on a road that can be narrow at times...it then turns into dirt. I think the speed limit before dirt is 45...but you probably avg about 30mph.

Then...once dirt..it's pretty windy...and bumpy. I've done it towing a trailer...it's slow going. After Bowman...you have another 10 or so miles on windy dirt road....and you climb around 3,000 feet. Before Jackson Meadow Lake....there's a tiny wood sign...Meadow Lake Road....it's a one lane Dirt road....another 8 miles maybe...

I would bet from Hwy 20 to Meadow....it's shorter...only 35 miles...but it will take a solid 2 hours....most dirt road.

Going around....is all hwy speed...cept the last 10 miles.

I've done both....both with trailer. It's draining going the short way....there's some narrow 1 lane parts near Bowman that are on a cliff...with no room to pass. So...if you're towing a trailer...and meet another trailer....uggg. Probably doubtful going in on Friday...but ya never know.

Now on Quads??

We can haul ass from Meadow to Bowman in no time....and tons of off shoots.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:34 pm

Ladies, please takes our cars around through trucke, I am going throug hthe back roads. . . see you there. . .
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

Chadd
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Chadd » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:11 pm

MrPolaris wrote:Ladies, please takes our cars around through trucke, I am going throug hthe back roads. . . see you there. . .
Thats a hell of a idea..

I've only been on the Bowman Lake rd in the winter.. and it's a crappy road with snow on it..
2007 Can-Am 800 XT, Full skid Plates, HMF Exhaust, Dobeck EFI Controller, AKA Zuki Eater Huh Larry.

Quadgoddess
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Quadgoddess » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:04 pm

Ken wrote:Yep...I've gone both ways....In fact...you've been on it too...when we watched those locals yanking...
OFF TOPIC:

Ummm...what exactly is being said here??? Image Image lol...sorry, Miyagi wasn't the only one with the double entendres... :oops: :lol:
[url=http://carolann63.smugmug.com/]~My Pix~[/url]

Chadd

Postby Chadd » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:34 pm

Quadgoddess wrote:
Ken wrote:Yep...I've gone both ways....In fact...you've been on it too...when we watched those locals yanking...
OFF TOPIC:

Ummm...what exactly is being said here??? Image Image lol...sorry, Miyagi wasn't the only one with the double entendres... :oops: :lol:
Double entendres??? Engrish pease
2007 Can-Am 800 XT, Full skid Plates, HMF Exhaust, Dobeck EFI Controller, AKA Zuki Eater Huh Larry.

dp
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby dp » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:49 am

Was up there a weekend before last. Took the bikes from Spualding to Bassetts for lunch. At least that was the plan. Bewteen Bowman and Jackson Meadows there is a decent washout that cars or stock pickups, or trailers will not make. Quads, yes with a 'little' effort. Shortly after that we hit a good dowhhill snowdrift that was about 3 feet deep. should be negotiable by now, most easily in the downhill direction but it sure turns soft by 9:30am.

The route from Jackson meadows over Yuba pass to Bassetts is covered in snow. Took us 6 hours to travel 10 miles and we didn't even make it out that night. Should be much less snow with these temps weve been having but theres plenty of exploring towards Bowman.
Last edited by dp on Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:41 am

Chadd wrote:Double entendres??? Engrish pease
http://www.engrish.com

These shirts are all over Japan....They make no sense to anyone who speaks real english. Paul Gilbert from Mr. Big and Racer X submitted this photo...this shirt...is a LITTLE KID'S SHIRT!!!

Funny....You claim I'm guilty of a double entendres....and the incident that I'm referring to with Dusty WAS a double entendres to the guys we were watching.

This was at the Washington cut in to Bowman Road. We were about 4 miles from Bowman Lake.

http://www.atvobsession.com/video/snatchblock.wmv
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Quadgoddess
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Quadgoddess » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:54 pm

Ken wrote:
Chadd wrote:Double entendres??? Engrish pease
http://www.engrish.com

These shirts are all over Japan....They make no sense to anyone who speaks real english. Paul Gilbert from Mr. Big and Racer X submitted this photo...this shirt...is a LITTLE KID'S SHIRT!!!

Wow...I think they are in need of some Dr.Phil.... Image :shock:

Ken wrote:Funny....You claim I'm guilty of a double entendres....and the incident that I'm referring to with Dusty WAS a double entendres to the guys we were watching.

This was at the Washington cut in to Bowman Road. We were about 4 miles from Bowman Lake.

http://www.atvobsession.com/video/snatchblock.wmv

:lol: HaHa.....that's funny....and that dude cracks me up!

"Ohh, you're gonna use this on another website"....

"...No, not one"...... :lol:
[url=http://carolann63.smugmug.com/]~My Pix~[/url]

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:08 pm

Those guys were funny.....we watched 'em for about an hour. That guy talking, was driving the jeep...and after about 10 snaps....All the beer cans were up front.

And in japan....when I was there, those types of shirts were EVERYWHERE. My friend Chris lives in Tokyo, and knows the guy who runs Engrish.com. What they do, is have a room full of Japanese who know english enough to write these phrases....but they literally...barely know the meaning. Which explains the randomness....Just look at the Shirts on that site where people have snapped pictures...and you can't believe some of them...but they're true. Women wear them mostly, for some reason.

Chris works in advertising...and Japanese love english phrases and remember them...so when you're walking through shopping areas....you won't see ONE WORD OF ENGLISH for anything of ANY VALUE..like streets or trains or subways....

but on GAP store you'll see : GAP - For the sun of your life. Or Coach - Be yourself.

it's very puzzling....you just want to know where to get your train...and the stores all have English phrases on the window.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:11 pm

Oh...and I said "No, that one" (atvobsession)"....but I was laughing while talking...so I slurred. I told them they could get their videos from me....I even had to write it down, cause they couldn't spell Obsession. LOL

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:35 am

they were sloshed for sure. . . it seemed like they did not care at all about their trucks either. the one guy in the suburbun got stuck and they were using the Jeep to jerk him out. . . and if I remember right the middle jeep was already missing half of the front or rear end, cannot remember.
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:49 pm

MrPolaris wrote:ken,
when I mapped out how to get there my map program took me off i-80 @ Emigrant gap, and then going on Bowman road for about 10 miles and then that turns into madow lake road, which you are on for only about 5 miles. According to the map will only be abot 45 miles from colfax, where if i go through truckee wil be about 82 miles from colfax. . . you ever heard of Bowman road? i might try itout prior to the weekend and if it is a lot shorter reccomend that. . .

Ok....I went to meadow lake on Tuesday night. I had been on this road 2 years ago with Terry on Quads. The road is in much worse shape. Lots of ruts, washouts and rocks.

It's 91 miles from Granite Bay to meadow lake going Hwy 20, Bowman Road and turning right on Henness Road (just before Jackson meadows). From HWY 20 on 80 to meadow lake it was exactly 27 miles (17 miles of it dirt) it took me 2 hours and 5 minutes...and I was going as fast as I could.

If you go 80 to 89 and that way, it's 124 miles. 60 miles from Hwy 20, so it's 33 miles farther. It took me 1:30 minutes to go the 60 miles. So it's 35 minutes faster to go 60 miles, versus 27.

It's also worth noting, that the 11.1 miles of dirt road from the 89 side, is Smooooooth. They are actively logging right now, and the road is really smooth. It took me 31 minutes to go 11 miles...so I was averaging about 21 mph on dirt! (it was dark, so I could see headlights far in advance).

So, I definitely recommend going 89. (I have posted directions)

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:10 pm

Just a reminder...we're coming up in a few weeks for the 1st Annual Mr. Miyagi ride.

It's for anyone that wants to come....if you knew Terry..or wanted to know Terry (anyone?) lol...or if you just want to hang with us.

There IS regular flat/semi-flat trail riding AND hardcore stuff. No one has to feel obligated to either. There's some old buildings, a cemetary and several mines in the area...some to drive to, some require walking.

Thomas from Tahoe Films is making arrangement to come...so we'll definitely have to show him some rocks...winch hill 4 and 5 for sure.

I posted the directions....it's plain dirt roads (11 miles) and it's nice camping..it's high altitude...so plan on cold nights...who knows...may catch a bald eagle cruising for fish. There is fishing...if you like that.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Chadd

Postby Chadd » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:40 am

Thomas is Coming... SWEET One question whos going to wreck for the camera????