Chevy 2500 HD Duramax Diesel

Go ahead...Let it out.

Moderator: hemingray

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:07 pm

When I was watching that myth busters episode, I could not help but wonder if it would also hurt your mileage to have a tono (sp?). based on what I saw on mythbusters i would say that the tono would act like the tail gate being open, coming off the cab and pushing down on the bed of hte truck as it passed over it. . . what are your guys thoughts on this
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:16 pm

I would think the only way to reduce drag, would be a shell equal to the hood in height.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:17 pm

So leads me to wonder if it is worthwhile to get a tono cover or nothing at all? not that I want one, but just wondering. I was reading an ad the other day and they claimed it would help mileage by as much as 20%
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

BearCat
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby BearCat » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:33 pm

Get the tonneau cover, better yet have the dealership throw it in on the deal. Whether you want one or not the day will come when your going to need/use it.(If you get one from GM usually they have some type of guarantee) As far as gas mileage, I dont know but you could just as well do some testing??

BC.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:49 pm

If I had one...I'd never use it....for me...just one more thing to store.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:38 pm

I would think the only way to reduce drag, would be a shell equal to the hood in height.
Dusty..... Want great gas mileage read the above then get a minivan. lol...
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:50 pm

LOL...

Actually...the last 2 trips to the airport, I've been messing with the speed of my truck, in relation to gas mileage.

totally UNscientific just using the car's Avg MPG (which is dead on, when I reset and calculate by hand), but still interesting.

On flat I5...near airport..using cruise control.

80 MPH - 13.7 MPG
75 MPG - 14.6 MPG
70 MPG - 15.8 MPG

So...it's a BIG difference, to push that big thing 10 MPH faster. I think speed, will affect gas mileage, way more than any cover....]

that's 46 MORE miles per 22 gallon tank...by going 70 vs. 80.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

dp
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby dp » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:19 pm

I'm still amazed at the power of the new diesels in relation to the mileage. I know thats why I bought one. Then we got a minivan and to my surprise...not that much better. Hopefully next week I will be adding a chip for a little better towing performance in the hills.
'05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:03 am

Diesel rules for big trucks. 20 MPG easy...engine lasts 300K miles or more.

My cousin Jim yanks his bikes on a trailer...and his Duramax with the software upgrade...doesn't even downshift coming up to Tahoe.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director