Where is a good place for my first snow ride?

Go ahead...Let it out.

Moderator: hemingray

traildad
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Where is a good place for my first snow ride?

Postby traildad » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:22 pm

My wife and I would like to go on a ride that would have some snow. Maybe some place that starts out dry and goes up into the snow. I was reading about the trip to Leek springs and it sounded like what we have in mind. I have a 2-wheel drive pickup so we would like to stage somewhere suitable. When I try to find the places on my forest map and my MapSend Topo it is hard to tell which road is which. It seems as though some maps use a road number and another will use a name or a different number. If you have any ideas please include good directions or even better GPS or MapSend Topo tracks. Thanks Ken
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Mine
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Wife's
We love to go Trail Riding and "ATV Backpacking"

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:37 pm

First of all....

Where ever you go. You have to be prepared, because you WILL work your ass off.

Water, food, warm clothes, waterproof boots, etc.

Each ATV must have a Winch,

Bring 1 tree saver and a MINIMUM 100 Ft of cable to add to your 50 ft. So that gives you 150 ft plus the strap.

Don't think you'll need it??

That tree was 95 ft away.

I'm not sure about Chadd's area up in Chico. I'm sure he knows some spots. Downieville works great, cause it starts at 2800 ft and can go up to near 7000.

Right now, you can ride around Eagle Lakes Road area (Pierce OHV), cause there's only about 1 foot or so of snow.

Here's my wife at Eagle Lakes 2 years ago in December. Her Quad died...and got towed out...thankfully, we had 2 ATV's to pull.

But the reward of the snow, is awesome.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:05 pm

lol..... Memories.....

First off..... Don't ever leave your wing man. You'll never hear the end of it.....

http://www.atvobsession.com/pictures/Di ... mage21.htm

Even if you were stuck....lol
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:10 pm

Here's my wife at Eagle Lakes 2 years ago in December. Her Quad died...and got towed out...thankfully, we had 2 ATV's to pull.
I tried blackmail for... boom boom (lol)....... Here's the end result. http://www.atvobsession.com/pictures/Fo ... image2.htm

How rude...... and after all my help. roflmao........
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:14 pm

Not sure where you live.... But have you thought about PiPi Valley or Bear River resevoir? You might have the best of both worlds.... However, I'd check the latest snow conditions. Good luck.....

traildad
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby traildad » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:09 am

When you say pipi valley I believe you are talking about near the area of Gold Note and Elkins Flat. If you are then yes I was reading the post about the ride someone took back in December. I am not familar enough with the area to know where to start. It is hard to tell by looking at the maps to see which roads are ATV legal.

Downieville sounds good. Being able to ride from 2800 to 7000 feet would allow us to get just enough snow to be fun. I have never been there. Is there a preferred road to ride?

Thanks Ken
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Mine
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Wife's
We love to go Trail Riding and "ATV Backpacking"

regor54
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

snow ride

Postby regor54 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:34 am

I took the leek springs trip, i doubt that you'll be able to get up that high anymore. I'm sure the snow is way too deep know. However, you can hit some of the pipi trails now. The best way to access them now is via sopiago creek road. That is a few miles past omo ranch, turn onto road, there are plenty of places to park. If theres alot of snow on the ground, theres a place to park on the left, just a few hundred yards after turning onto the road. From there You can access trail 33, which is a 20 mile loop. If you stay on the main road, it will take you to north-south road, or eventually all the way to hwy 88. It's called 9n55 on the forest service maps. Hope this helps, it's about the closest place to ride for me. There should be plenty of snow.

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:26 pm

Yep... PiPi is right next to Elkins Flat.... It's actually a nice ride going between the two. If you go to PiPi... they have big maps (I think one is at 5 points) showing all the trails..... They also have the pocket size ones you can take with you on your ride. Enjoy your ride....

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:35 pm

If you do ride downiville just park at the cannon on the south side of town and there is a dirt road right across the road there. That is the trail we took and it goes for miles and miles, just make sure you have enough time to get back to hte car and not have to ride on Hwy 49. . .
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:42 pm

Full_Polaris_man wrote:If you do ride downiville just park at the cannon on the south side of town and there is a dirt road right across the road there. That is the trail we took and it goes for miles and miles, just make sure you have enough time to get back to hte car and not have to ride on Hwy 49. . .

Bingo. Don't even consider...heading to Gold Lake...:)
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Bill Anderson
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Postby Bill Anderson » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:40 pm

You need my Redkneck snowmobile for the deep snow LOL.
Crash Anderson's Dad
800,700,500 sportmans 05,05,06 all have 2.5 winch

Crash Anderson
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby Crash Anderson » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:42 pm

We have a sled head in the making folks, look out, your snow could be next.
But Seriously

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:02 pm

Who is that?

Is that BA?

Bill Anderson
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Postby Bill Anderson » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:11 pm

Yep that me I install my new Redkneck snowmoble kit. LOL
It works great I was driving in 3 to 5 feet of snow. I could go any where.
Crash Anderson's Dad
800,700,500 sportmans 05,05,06 all have 2.5 winch

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:33 pm

Who was on the snowmobile?