Where is a good place for my first snow ride?

Go ahead...Let it out.

Moderator: hemingray

Bill Anderson
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Postby Bill Anderson » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:43 pm

It was Lesa and Glen my wife Teri and Crash Glen has 4 snowmobles.
Let Teri Crash ride them. It save me lots of money my wife and crash didn't like riding the snowmobile as much as riding Quads.
ps Lesa and Glen are NVATR members
Crash Anderson's Dad
800,700,500 sportmans 05,05,06 all have 2.5 winch

oldtrucks
Certified: OBSESSED

Re: Where is a good place for my first snow ride?

Postby oldtrucks » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:27 pm

traildad wrote:My wife and I would like to go on a ride that would have some snow. Maybe some place that starts out dry and goes up into the snow. I have a 2-wheel drive pickup so we would like to stage somewhere suitable.
Try up the Mormon Imigrant Trail/Iron Mountain area. You can drive in as far as you are comfortable then drop the quads and ride. We were just up there today and you can easily drive as far as North South Rd, about 10 above Sly Park. From there you can head out a number of roads and find all the snow you want. Toaday we got almost all the way over to Hwy 88 but the snow was getting soft and deep near the top.

If you're not familiar with the area take Hwy 50 East to Pollock Pines, go South on Sly Park Rd. Just past the reservoir turn left on Mormon Imigrant and drive as far as you can. There are lots of places to park along the road. If you stop at the Forest Service office in Camino they will give you a nice map of the El Dorado NF
Larry (ATV Ansel)

Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces

[url=http://www.offroadobsession.com/store]Offroad Obsession[/url]

[url=http://www.rallyontherocks.com]Rally on the Rocks![/url]

MrBill

Postby MrBill » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:52 am

oldtrucks wrote:
traildad wrote:My wife and I would like to go on a ride that would have some snow. Maybe some place that starts out dry and goes up into the snow. I have a 2-wheel drive pickup so we would like to stage somewhere suitable.
Try up the Mormon Immigrant Trail/Iron Mountain area. You can drive in as far as you are comfortable then drop the quads and ride. We were just up there today and you can easily drive as far as North South Rd, about 10 above Sly Park. From there you can head out a number of roads and find all the snow you want. Today we got almost all the way over to Hwy 88 but the snow was getting soft and deep near the top.

If you're not familiar with the area take Hwy 50 East to Pollock Pines, go South on Sly Park Rd. Just past the reservoir turn left on Mormon Immigrant and drive as far as you can. There are lots of places to park along the road. If you stop at the Forest Service office in Camino they will give you a nice map of the El Dorado NF

This is a very good spot. Me and My family went up just last Sunday. The wife and My son of eight years old had a blast.
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

traildad
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby traildad » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:18 pm

Try up the Mormon Imigrant Trail/Iron Mountain area.

This sounds like a good place. We are also thinking about Downieville. We might drive up to lake Francis and stay in a cabin for the weekend and drive to the staging area in the morning. We just might have to go on two snow trips. :D Ken
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Mine
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Wife's
We love to go Trail Riding and "ATV Backpacking"

oldtrucks

Postby oldtrucks » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:22 pm

Ken if I had an idea where you lived I might be able to steer you into something close. Sorry to hear about the "Teal" clothes :D
Larry (ATV Ansel)

traildad

Postby traildad » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:23 pm

oldtrucks wrote:
Try up the Mormon Imigrant Trail/Iron Mountain area. You can drive in as far as you are comfortable then drop the quads and ride. We were just up there today and you can easily drive as far as North South Rd, about 10 above Sly Park. From there you can head out a number of roads and find all the snow you want. Toaday we got almost all the way over to Hwy 88 but the snow was getting soft and deep near the top.
I live near Vacaville. It is closer to go to Pollock Pines and we may try going up there for a day ride. There seems to be more lower elevation riding area there. That way if the snow gets heavy we will still have lots of room to ride. When you drive in on Mormon Imigrant Trai/Iron Mountain rd. when is it legal to ride quads?
Ken

traildad

Postby traildad » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:39 pm

oldtrucks wrote:
Try up the Mormon Imigrant Trail/Iron Mountain area. You can drive in as far as you are comfortable then drop the quads and ride. We were just up there today and you can easily drive as far as North South Rd, about 10 above Sly Park.
I was just looking at the El Dorado Forest Web site and it says that the Mormon Imigrant Trail is closed for the winter. This is on the recreation update page. Can I get around the closed part or do we just have to take our chances? Ken

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:05 pm

Is that something you want to do with your wife and kids.....

Safety Dave just got hammered for riding his quad on the street...... Heafty fine. Fine a place that's legal and enjoy your ride without having to look over your shoulders......

Probably not something you wanted to hear....... Otherwise, good luck.
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

oldtrucks

Postby oldtrucks » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:12 pm

traildad wrote:I was just looking at the El Dorado Forest Web site and it says that the Mormon Imigrant Trail is closed for the winter. This is on the recreation update page. Can I get around the closed part or do we just have to take our chances? Ken
It just means to vehicle traffic. They don't maintain or plow between Oct 15 and June 15. It's open to OHV traffic, so just drive up as far as you can, drop the quads and ride. There's all kinds of activity, 4x4's, sleds, quads, and dumb people trying to drive cars through. We saw 2 cars stuck and another guy that was following "MapQuest" directions trying to get to Kirkwood.
Larry (ATV Ansel)

Lizard
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby Lizard » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:29 am

I live five minutes from Mormon Immigrant trail and I was up there about a week ago taking the kids sledding, and will say that it seemed that most of the roads had thier gates closed and locked. A few trails were open just not many. I've been told by other riders in the area that the Forest Service closes most of them to prevent the erosion caused by OHV's during the wet season. I've personnally asked a local Ranger and was told that they don't just close them for that but for other specific reasons (unspecified). I didn't like (or believe) the answer he gave though.
Rincon that's dialed in.

oldtrucks

Postby oldtrucks » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:09 am

Eric we, (Dan, Whipple, Sten, and I) were up there Tuesday and didn't see a closed gate anywhere. We parked just below North South Rd, went up Iron Mountain about 1/2 mile and turned right, I think it was 10N46E. We followed that until the snow got too deep, went back down to 10N87 and then back to Iron Mountain. We rode up Iron Mountain all way to the Leek Springs turnoff where Dan buried his quad, deep enough to need help from 2 quads to get out. If it rains high again this storm it may be possible to get all the way to 88 next week.
Larry (ATV Ansel)

traildad

Postby traildad » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:43 pm

Mr. Miyagi wrote:Is that something you want to do with your wife and kids.....

Safety Dave just got hammered for riding his quad on the street...... Heafty fine. Fine a place that's legal and enjoy your ride without having to look over your shoulders......

Probably not something you wanted to hear....... Otherwise, good luck.
No that is not what I want to do. I was trying to figure out if that was what he was suggesting. I am glad to say that I talked to a ranger on the phone today and he confirmed that the road is open to OHV use. :) It is about an hour and a half drive for me to Pollock Pines. This is one of the closer OHV areas for me so I plan to get to know it well. Ken

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:52 pm

Good deal Ken..... I'm glad you received the information you needed.

BTW - I hope you don't think I was bustin your balls..... I'd just hate to see you fall into the same costly adventure Safety Dave is currently experiencing..... Not good. :(
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

oldtrucks

Postby oldtrucks » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:53 pm

Ken here's my GPS for our parking spot, 38.42.309N, 120.24.243W It's a good size wide spot on the left side of the road as you go up. The other day the snow on the road started just beyond that. We had 3 pickups and 1 4Runner with a trailer and still had plenty of room. Easy access for 2wd.
Larry (ATV Ansel)

oldtrucks

Postby oldtrucks » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:02 pm

Mr. Miyagi wrote:I'd just hate to see you fall into the same costly adventure Safety Dave is currently experiencing..... Not good. :(
Come on Terry....you didn't really think I'd send Ken into a bad situation...you maybe....him no :lol:
Larry (ATV Ansel)