Photos Gone

Go ahead...Let it out.

Moderator: hemingray

Ken
Site Admin

Photos Gone

Postby Ken » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:23 pm

Unfortunately, after getting 100+ photos of the Dusy ride completed, I showed them to Jack at my house on Saturday night. I tried to finish them, but I had about 60 to go. They were awesome.

When I woke up...my PC had rebooted...and had sustained a complete HD failure.

I tried to get the stuff....but I lost it all. In 15 years of computing...I've lost sectors, partitions....but never a whole drive. This drive was only 18 months old.

Anyway...sorry....but I'm sick over this....literally. I've lost tons of pictures and personal stuff....

I know...back up. I had a file server to back up my stuff....but that drive had sector failures (it was an old drive) and I hadn't had time to replace and fix it.

Time I wish I had back.....
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Chadd
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Chadd » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:55 pm

I just got a error on my desktop tonight UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT DRIVE??? WTF Does that mean.. I hope i didn't loose all my stuff :x
2007 Can-Am 800 XT, Full skid Plates, HMF Exhaust, Dobeck EFI Controller, AKA Zuki Eater Huh Larry.

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:04 am

Do We have to make that late, long, and dusty trail again. :shock: I'm taking more gas.
I have a chicken hill in my backyard for photo opps. A little photos shop to make the dirt look like rock. :lol: :lol:
Last edited by MrBill on Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:08 am

Chadd wrote:I just got a error on my desktop tonight UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT DRIVE??? WTF Does that mean.. I hope i didn't loose all my stuff :x
You can't get on this one. You will have to mount something else. Try the "Monitor" :lol: :lol:
Just a little non-IT help.
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

Quadgoddess
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Quadgoddess » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:11 am

That sucks....sorry to hear about this Ken.
[url=http://carolann63.smugmug.com/]~My Pix~[/url]

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:04 am

DUDE, that sucks. . .

I have seen and had this problem before. How I solved it. . .

I actually found that the motor went bad in the hard disc, so it would not spin. THis was a professors hard drive so we HAD to get the data off. . . We ended up opening the hard drive (A huge no no I know) and hooked a drill to the spinner and spun it that way, we got it up enough to pull about half of the guys data off before we totally fried the hard drive, but hey, half is better than none. . .
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:31 pm

Wow... That's Fu@ked up..... Sorry to hear that. I know you lost tons of stuff. You might be able to call a vendor and have them recover your data. It's not cheap however depending on what it is you've lost..... It might be worth it.

It might be worth going back.... and, I'm sure I'll be able to join you next time. :wink:
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:30 pm

Mr. Miyagi wrote:Wow... That's Fu@ked up..... Sorry to hear that. I know you lost tons of stuff. You might be able to call a vendor and have them recover your data. It's not cheap however depending on what it is you've lost..... It might be worth it.

Funny you say that. That's exactly what I'm going to do....Most you have to call for a Quote... I lost 30 gigs worth of Mp3's too....but honestly, I'd pay several hundred dollars...just to get my photos back.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's $500....

Fortunately, my Japan photos are still on my work laptop...otherwise my vacation would have been gone.

So....take this from me....BACK UP. I never considered a full hard drive failure...I was more worried about losing sectors on the HD or a partition failure.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:37 pm

Funny you say that. That's exactly what I'm going to do....Most you have to call for a Quote... I lost 30 gigs worth of Mp3's too....but honestly, I'd pay several hundred dollars...just to get my photos back.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's $500....
The last HD we had rescued (which was 6 or 7 years ago) was $800. and I think it was less than a gig. I'm sure the prices have dropped...... I also remember they had the HD for up to 4 weeks. That's brutal if it's data you need right now.....

Good luck.....
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:59 pm

guess that is why a raid array with built in redundcy is so good. ..
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

Quadgoddess
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Quadgoddess » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:17 pm

Recently I was listening to one of the talk radio shows about people that had lost PC's and everything to hurricane Katrina and some people used services such as this to recover data. It was expensive but I'm sure the stuff you lost is worth more than monetary value.

http://www.essdatarecovery.com/

And....this was just on CBS news this evening....
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/08/ ... 2479.shtml
[url=http://carolann63.smugmug.com/]~My Pix~[/url]

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:56 pm

guess that is why a raid array with built in redundcy is so good. ..
Next time I'm dating twins...... :wink:

Chadd

Postby Chadd » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:00 pm

MrBill wrote:
Chadd wrote:I just got a error on my desktop tonight UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT DRIVE??? WTF Does that mean.. I hope i didn't loose all my stuff :x
You can't get on this one. You will have to mount something else. Try the "Monitor" :lol: :lol:
Just a little non-IT help.
Thanks Dick..lol

I was really looking for some help here...
2007 Can-Am 800 XT, Full skid Plates, HMF Exhaust, Dobeck EFI Controller, AKA Zuki Eater Huh Larry.

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:11 pm

Chadd, You HoMo.

Try this..... It sounds like your HD is no longer bootable. You might need to make it a slave to another HD.

http://search.isp.netscape.com/nsisp/bo ... ntable.htm

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:01 pm

That's exactly it. Get a new drive...Make it the Master...Load XP. Make your old drive your Slave. You can't boot from it, but you copy your stuff off.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director