ugh..busted an axle!

Go ahead...Let it out.

Moderator: hemingray

Thrasher
Is Totally Obsessed

ugh..busted an axle!

Postby Thrasher » Mon May 31, 2004 4:59 pm

I really wish I had pictures..

was out at the local spot this weekend (CRoom) and we stopped at a mud hole that we usually stop at when we are out there to break.
it's usually swampy at that spot and i would never run my quad thru it because i never knew how deep it was..well..it looked kinda dryand most of itt was...but I went into one part and sank in like it was peanut butter. pulled out the winch strapped to a tree and made the situation worse..as i'm pulling forward, it's acting like a plow and making the sittuation worse...

try pulling from side to side...rocking back and forth..

stuck..

dude with a scrambler comes by, we hook up some tow straps to the rear and he trys to pull me out...no dice.

still stuck.

another dude pulls up on a 4x4 quad w/a winch and we try various ways to get me out..he's winching to a tree and trying to pull me out with a tow strap, i'm winched to another tree.

still stuck..

another guy shows up with a grizzly and a winch, my buddy takes mmy winch cable up into a tree so i can be pulled up while they pull me out. this works..can u guys believe it? it took 3 winches to get me out!
but somewhere in the midst of all the things, i broke my right front axle. i noticed as it was coming out that only 3 wheels were spinning but i saw the axle turning but the wheel wasnt.

this mud was well over the rear racks up to the seat, front headlights are buried. (I kept digging out the exhaust even tho it was making little mud farts) it was a mess...almost 4 hours to clean the thing up and now I gotta take it apart to fix it....bleh...while digging around the front part at one point, i pulled out some old tree stumps/limbs and stuff that was buried in there, thats probably what broke it, or something held the wheel to prevent it from spinning...i do recall the smell of burning wood whenever i was giving it throttle to pull out..

total time invested in getting pulled out..almost 2.5 hours...bleh..

now the question is, should i get some OEM CV/axles? or go with something else like Gorilla?
2003 Polaris Sportsman 600 Twin, w/Warn 2500# winch, k&n filter, handguards, Kimpex Deluxe seat/storage, Kimpex front box, WayBackRacks fuel rack. Mud Lites, Mud chunks, a lil tin can :D

[img]http://www.tampagasprices.com/gb/Tampagasbuddy.gif[/img]

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon May 31, 2004 9:28 pm

Wow....

You have no idea how close your story is to what happened to us this weekend. No pictures....I'm still pissed.

Anyway...We're coming down from 7300 Ft...we were in 10 feet of snow....Riding on top, until the road just too steep...so we had to winch to get turned around.

Anyway...on the way back...the snow was about 5 ft high, then it dipped into a mud hole (only up mid-high on the wheel). Not deep...but now we had to climb up a 5 foot high snowbank...without winching...no dice. So, we make a little path around this snow bank....I go one way....and Terry goes another. Terry gets stuck. Well...We winch forward...Nothing...We winch backward...nothing...in fact, my back wheels went 3 feet in the air....So I was basically, "endoing" my ATV pullling him. So, I decide to figure out why this wasn't working...that's when I see a 2 foot high stump, wedged between his A-ARM and his foot rest. So, pulling forward shoves the log into his wheel well, and winching back...the log jams up against his A-ARM. We gotta get this quad up and over this log. So, Terry has a Snatch block, so we put it at a 90 deg angle and literally yank his quad sideways....his foot rest plastic explodes(literally)...but he was free. This was in the rain, at 6:00pm....so it was getting dark. We had a beer...and went back to our camp.

So we both had eventful weekends.

As for the axles....Non of us have them....but I've heard they are good (and required for tires 27" and bigger..due to the extreme angles.)

Hope your quad comes clean!
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:08 pm

Wow.... Besides the broken parts, that sounded worthy of being a Terry aka:Miyagi story. However, thank god it was you.... Sorry to hear about your out of pocket expense.
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:15 pm

Jack would have had tears in his eyes knowing we used a snatch-block. Jacks quote to Ken "I love you son"..... BTW bitch, your owe me for the broken parts. I can't be responsible.... I'm Miyagi.
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:01 am

I told Jack we had our first official use of a snatch block...his response:

YEAH!!!!!
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Thrasher
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Thrasher » Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:05 pm

I'm not even sure what a 'snatch-bock' even is...
2003 Polaris Sportsman 600 Twin, w/Warn 2500# winch, k&n filter, handguards, Kimpex Deluxe seat/storage, Kimpex front box, WayBackRacks fuel rack. Mud Lites, Mud chunks, a lil tin can :D

ash2042
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby ash2042 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:16 pm

thrasher,
A Snatch block is device that would remind you of a pully system. You fasten it to a stationary device(a tree) using using a strap so you do not damage the tree. Your cable from your winch goes through the snatch block. then you can hook the cable ack to your atv. to make a long story short a snatch block should double the pulling power of your winch.
04.5 Sportsman 500 HO
Warn 2.5 winch

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:38 am

Or in this case....pull sideways.

It also multiplies your pulling power. If you took your cable straight ahead to a tree, connect to a snatch block, then back to your ATV. Your winch can now pull double the weight.

Add 2 snatch blocks to the tree and one to the winch....and you have 4 times the power.

They're used more commonly, to pull pianos and sails on ships.

Example:

If you stood in a window, tied a rope to a 1000 lb weight, and pulled. You'd be pulling 1000 lbs.

If you stood on the ground and held a rope that went UP to the window, to a Snatch block and back down to a 1000lb weight next to you....and you pulled...you'd only be pulling 500 lbs.

If you stood on the ground holding a rope that went UP to the window(snatch block) down to a Snatch block (tied to the ground) back UP to the window (another snatch block) and back DOWN to the 1000lb weight, you'd be holding 250lbs in your hand.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Thrasher
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Thrasher » Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:40 am

i think i need one!

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:22 am

Dude.... Do you know how many times I've heard your snatch-block explanation.... Jeez.... Dedicate a page, will ya. lol.....

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:24 am

BTW - A snatch-block is what Jack gave his wife for Christmas.... lol. I love you honey....

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:26 pm

Mr. Miyagi wrote:Dude.... Do you know how many times I've heard your snatch-block explanation.... Jeez.... Dedicate a page, will ya. lol.....
Why, when someone else already has.

http://www.dodgepowerwagon.com/glovebox/snatch.html

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:41 pm

ROFL..... I don't fricken believe it. Check out the dudes first name (the guy who asked the question)... LOL.

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:46 pm

I stand corrected... The genius explaining the FACTOR has the same name.... Runs in the family.

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Snatch Block

Postby MrPolaris » Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:05 am

Why not just say it is a pully system . . . such technical names. . . you all must be computer nerds in your real jobs. . .
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"