new here

Go ahead...Let it out.

Moderator: hemingray

ash2042
Is tracking a shipment right now

new here

Postby ash2042 » Tue May 25, 2004 3:52 am

I just surfed by and I love your site. I have been riding atvs since I was about 9 or 10, I am now 28. I have owned hondas yamahas and polaris. I just recently purchased a yellow sportsman 500 HO. Keep riding and keep posting pictures.
04.5 Sportsman 500 HO
Warn 2.5 winch

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Tue May 25, 2004 3:56 pm

Dusty..... You just got hammered. Chalk one up for POLARIS. BLAM.... Time to sell your Big Wheel.....
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Ken
Site Admin

Re: new here

Postby Ken » Tue May 25, 2004 7:07 pm

ash2042 wrote:I just surfed by and I love your site. I have been riding atvs since I was about 9 or 10, I am now 28. I have owned hondas yamahas and polaris. I just recently purchased a yellow sportsman 500 HO. Keep riding and keep posting pictures.
Thanks for stopping by and providing Terry ammo. :roll:

Glad you like the photos. The 500 HO is nice. The 600's and 700's would be insane, if they had the carb the HO has. It's like 8mm bigger.

If I remember my Polaris stuff correctly...the only difference is the stock tires are smaller and 500HO doesn't have the Engine Brake. It's nice...but sometimes it can get you into trouble too.

As for the stock tires....Terry is the only one of us that has Stock tires anyway. I don't like the new Badlands...the old Goodyear Rawhide Grip were pretty awesome tires.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

ash2042

Postby ash2042 » Wed May 26, 2004 5:09 am

The 500 ho has an engine brake, the 04.5 model has the electronic fuel gauge, it has a park setting on the shifter, the front hubs were upgraded on the 04.5 as well as the cooling system
04.5 Sportsman 500 HO
Warn 2.5 winch

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed May 26, 2004 4:26 pm

Cool....Did they change the tires?? When I saw the first 04's, they had 24" tires.

Sounds like they've now made the 500,600,700 the same, except the engine.

how accurate does the gas gauge seem??
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

ash2042

Postby ash2042 » Wed May 26, 2004 6:32 pm

I only have about 5 hours on the bike so I am not sure about the accuracy of the fuel gauge. The tires I am not sure of the size, I know on the 04.5 the changed to the carlisle badlands.They say these are supposed to be a better tire since they are a radial tire. I don't know I guess only time will tell. I liked the tread on the goodyears better.
04.5 Sportsman 500 HO
Warn 2.5 winch

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Thu May 27, 2004 1:42 pm

FYI -I don't need to upgrade my tires cuz... I'm one Bad Ass MO FO... ROFL.

It's just unfortunate at times I have a tendancy to Quad upside down. lol... I need a quad with a self righting Gyroscope.... Any ideas? Has Polaris come out with one yet?
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu May 27, 2004 9:02 pm

ash2042 wrote:I only have about 5 hours on the bike so I am not sure about the accuracy of the fuel gauge. The tires I am not sure of the size, I know on the 04.5 the changed to the carlisle badlands.They say these are supposed to be a better tire since they are a radial tire. I don't know I guess only time will tell. I liked the tread on the goodyears better.

The Goodyear Rawhide is far superior, IMO to the Badlands. The thread on the Goodyear is way better, they are a very agressive tire and it's well made.

Radial better? I'd say...yeah...if you were driving it on the freeway! Bias ply tires are the best for off-roading....they air down lower and provide more flex around rocks.

I used to run Armstrong Tru-Tracks on my 47 Willys Jeep...Awesome tire. I could air those down to 5-6lbs...no problem. Then I had Radials....They sucked. I could only air down to 9-10 lbs...they had no flex, even that low and they didn't grip the rocks. I dumped those, and now have Bias Ply Super Swamper Rock Crawlers...and they work great.

Like I said earlier...doesn't really matter what the stock tire is anyway. Just look at Jeeps or trucks....if you really want a good tire, you have to go aftermarket. ATV is the same thing. The Goodyear is a good tire....but something like ITP 589 or Mudlites will kill them. We all got the nasty 589's or Mudlites...and kept our Goodyears for flat trail riding. No sense in wearing down the 2" lugs on my 589 when I don't have to.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu May 27, 2004 9:04 pm

Mr. Miyagi wrote:FYI -I don't need to upgrade my tires cuz... I'm one Bad Ass MO FO... ROFL.

It's just unfortunate at times I have a tendancy to Quad upside down. lol... I need a quad with a self righting Gyroscope.... Any ideas? Has Polaris come out with one yet?

You are ABSOLUTELY correct. You have NO reason to upgrade your tires Terry. When your quad is on it's side, or upside down...the brand of tire is pretty insignificant.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Thrasher
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Thrasher » Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:07 pm

ouch...brutal!
2003 Polaris Sportsman 600 Twin, w/Warn 2500# winch, k&n filter, handguards, Kimpex Deluxe seat/storage, Kimpex front box, WayBackRacks fuel rack. Mud Lites, Mud chunks, a lil tin can :D

[img]http://www.tampagasprices.com/gb/Tampagasbuddy.gif[/img]

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Tire Brands

Postby MrPolaris » Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:13 am

I just wonder what the ply rating and if it really matters. i know I had run with 4 Ply for a while and no issues, but a guy i ride with, not naming names, Ken, had tow flats with his 6 ply, do you think it makes a real difference to the thickenss at this type of riding?
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:31 pm

Yeah it matters....1 flat was a nail. The tire would have to be made of steel to avoid that one.

The other was a pinch....less ply...more pinching.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Kind of like a condom

Postby MrPolaris » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:36 am

So you are saying the tires are sort of like a condom, thicker you get more protection, but less feeling. . .
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

Thrasher
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Thrasher » Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:57 am

ok...where the hell did u hit a nail? I can't imagine in the middle of nowhere....

hrrm...that would be really harsh..ride out to the middle of nowhere on some trails and drop a box of nails....ouch..
2003 Polaris Sportsman 600 Twin, w/Warn 2500# winch, k&n filter, handguards, Kimpex Deluxe seat/storage, Kimpex front box, WayBackRacks fuel rack. Mud Lites, Mud chunks, a lil tin can :D

[img]http://www.tampagasprices.com/gb/Tampagasbuddy.gif[/img]

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:28 am

It's WORSE than that.

I ran over the nail, in camp...in the middle of no where...while driving to some water about 10 feet away, to see how much air was leaking from the cut on my front sidewall.

You can see the photo on the May 15th trip.

The rear tire had the nail in it...it was clearly new, since it still had 2" sticking out. But enough was in, to make a hole. That, I was able to plug without leaks.

The sidewall, despite 2 plugs still leaked...I replaced it already.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director