Switchback trail - 1902

Go ahead...Let it out.

Moderator: hemingray

Ken
Site Admin

Re: Switchback trail - 1902

Postby Ken » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:00 am

Dave,

I put in the GPS coordinates for where to park, Churchs, CA and the 2 dams....I'm definitely going to scope them out on the Miyagi.

There is definitely a path still there from Churchs to the closest dam. Plus I'd like to see if there is anything left of that Corral. My GPS map had a X for Churchs, CA.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 pm

I was looking more closely at the lake....and it looks like the river was re-routed in a hoop....and there are definitely man-made channels or perhaps irrigation lanes after the lake was drained. They are straight lines...not nature made.

The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

hemingray
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby hemingray » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:05 pm

Yeah, those lines are intriguing. On the river curve - I bet the massive drainoff may have straightened that loop out, I can easily imagine the dynamics of the water making a straight channel.

The corral by the road is most definitely still there, we usually blister past it. ;-) The problem with going via Churchs Camp is that there is a closed gate and there were fresh tire tracks leading past it. That's why my alternate hike skirts that meadow completely. Also, I try to avoid steep slopes, my knees have issues with them, so I try to follow the contours to make it more gentle on me. I'm gettin' old... :-(

It looks like getting down by the river from the damsite is just a matter of staying on the same contour as you parallel the river going upstream until you meet the stream level.

What day are you thinking? I can come out on one of the days, but I can't stay over...
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:17 pm

hemingray wrote:The corral by the road is most definitely still there, we usually blister past it. ;-)
That's the Churchs Camp Corral? Hahaha....never knew what the heck that was for.

I'm not sure.....maybe Friday...hard to say.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

hemingray
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby hemingray » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:42 pm

I know lots of folks want to do the Fordyce - history can wait for another weekend...
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:02 am

KMZ file sent via email.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:56 am

Since there are going to be so many people, maybe we arrange a Fordyce ride and a history ride. I'm not sure everyone wants to ride Fordyce.
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS