The Loss of a friend....

Go ahead...Let it out.

Moderator: hemingray

Ken
Site Admin

The Loss of a friend....

Postby Ken » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:15 am

The iconic juniper at the Little Sluice box, succumbed to Mother Nature in the storm over the weekend.

You can read more about it here.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1057218

Personally...it's sad. The tree was iconic....Estimated to be possibly 1000 years old....it had obviously been there a long time.

As you can see in this photo from ~1920, the tree was nearly the same size 92 years ago.

A few months ago, I attempted to stand in the same spot from memory at the 1920 photo. I came pretty close.

Mother Nature giveth.....

Mother Nature taketh away.....

RIP old friend....
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Mr. Green
Is Totally Obsessed

Re: The Loss of a friend....

Postby Mr. Green » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:11 pm

Just a few days ago talking to my brother i mentioned running the little sluice with you guys and he kept getting mixed up with big sluice or so i think. So i said its the one with that big ass tree growing in the granite on the side. He instantly remembered what area i was talking about it was very iconic. Im glad i got out to see it this past year sad its gone but cycle of life and all. Im sure some one will core it or cut now to see how old it truly was id be interested to know if any one hears.
09 can-am renegade

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:48 pm

I'm sure I'll find out.

We (RTF) are working with the County, who has ownership of the tree. I'm sure it will be established how old it is.

I sent my Grandfather news of the tree...he's 90 years old...Wheeled the Rubicon since the mid-50's....was photographed in the Big Sluice by 4 Wheeler Magazine in the late 60's in his "new" Ford Bronco. His reply was classic....

What did you send me a pic of an old tree? Did you think I'm old enough that I planted it?? It is kind of sad to see an old friend pass on ,gotta make room for the next tree!
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Kodiak
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kodiak » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:25 am

thats crazy ken i love the old pic and the one with the rzr. this wasn't even a tough winter.
RIP
Angelo

My Business mention ATV Obsession and i will hook you up.
http://www.mygemologist.com
K0HMR
My ATV!!
2006 Kodiak 450
warn 2500 winch, heated hand grips, and full custom skid plates with wrap around steel fender guards :) and 25" Bighorn tires

hemingray
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby hemingray » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:44 pm

Sad to see such an icon fall. I always wonder how old some of those fallen trees in the high country are. They reached an incredible number of years when alive, and they also decay at a very slow rate as well so some of those old weathered and gray fallen trunks would have quite the story to tell. As your grandfather says - gotta make room for the next tree. The cycle of life is long in the forest.
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:06 pm

Kodiak wrote:thats crazy ken i love the old pic and the one with the rzr. this wasn't even a tough winter.
RIP
You know...the snow on Saturday was REALLY WET and heavy....combined with REALLY high winds. If you watched my video..we had gusts over 50mph easily. Take that...and, we're pretty sure it was leaning more. Look at the 1920 photo and the 2012 photo....it's clearly leaning more in 2012, than 1920. Did it lean more in the last 5 years? or last 50? I don't know...but Scott said he mentioned it to John this summer...that it appeared to be leaning more.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

EigerMike

Postby EigerMike » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:15 pm

very sad that was a cool tree.just think what it has seen.i bet it knows who , or how all the big bolders got into the little sluice :wink:
how long till people start cutting it for fire wood? hope something good comes out of it ,it deserves somthing special!
South Side Keeper

Paynes Creek 2017

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun May 06, 2012 9:43 pm

This weekend, RTF took a lumberjack (Brian) to assess the tree and it's removal.

Upon seeing the tree for the first time in person, he estimated the tree was between 1,500 and 2,000 years old. Wrap your head around this.....if it does come in around 2,000....the tree seed started growing when Jesus was making furniture. The fall of rome, dark ages, columbus....birth of a nation....kind of crazy when you think about it.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

EigerMike

Postby EigerMike » Mon May 07, 2012 6:41 pm

thats is qrazy!
South Side Keeper

Paynes Creek 2017

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Mon May 07, 2012 7:26 pm

Hopefully they can determine the age when they remove it. I'd like to visit the Bristlecone pines down south (or in Great Basin Nat'l Park) - some are 4,000 years old. And the dead wood can stand for thousands of years too - it doesn't decay, it erodes. Amazing things, trees.
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon May 07, 2012 11:44 pm

hemingray wrote:Hopefully they can determine the age when they remove it. I'd like to visit the Bristlecone pines down south (or in Great Basin Nat'l Park) - some are 4,000 years old. And the dead wood can stand for thousands of years too - it doesn't decay, it erodes. Amazing things, trees.
That's the plan...we're going to make several plates from the main trunk. Brian (the tree guy) is going to clear coat the plates...he said Juniper's are fragile when dry and will crack.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director