CanAm & Polaris

Go ahead...Let it out.

Moderator: hemingray

BruteForce
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

CanAm & Polaris

Postby BruteForce » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:09 am

Last week, I went with a group of about 30 ATV fanatics and we did just over 500 miles (Big Ride 5).

We departed Marysvale Utah with an end goal of Escalante, Utah (with overnight stays in Torrey, Escalante and Panguitch).

It was interesting to note that several CanAm machines (new model year) suffered frame failure and many of the Polaris machines had a myriad of issues (holes in rims, blown water pump, etc).

This opened my eyes to possible issues if I decided to replace my Kawasaki (I had the only Kawi in the bunch) and suffered no issues, not even a flat tire.
2013 Sportsman XP 850 (Browning Edition) FI/EPS/LE
2005 & 2008 Kawasaki Brute Force 750i

Rider has ferocious attitude!

My blog site: http://utahbruteforce.com

EigerMike
Certified: OBSESSED

Re: CanAm & Polaris

Postby EigerMike » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:07 am

funny how they allso cost the most!
Last edited by EigerMike on Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
South Side Keeper

Paynes Creek 2017

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:46 am

I'm not sure how a rim can be faulted to the manufacturer (of any brand), since even the OEM rims are made by someone else through contract.

Water Pump's were an issue with Polaris from 2001-2004. There was a service bulletin, and they changed mounting from plastic to metal. I own 2 2005 and up Polaris, never had a water pump issue.

With rock crawling, Polaris definitely has frame issues. I can tell you every weak point on the frame. Rock crawling points out GLARINGLY, any frame deficiencies. The new XP, has a much better frame for rock crawling, but nobody that I know does hardcore crawling owns one. So I'm sure even the new frame has some weak point, but until you start crawling...you won't find it.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

BruteForce

Postby BruteForce » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:34 am

Ken wrote:I'm not sure how a rim can be faulted to the manufacturer (of any brand), since even the OEM rims are made by someone else through contract.

Water Pump's were an issue with Polaris from 2001-2004. There was a service bulletin, and they changed mounting from plastic to metal. I own 2 2005 and up Polaris, never had a water pump issue.

With rock crawling, Polaris definitely has frame issues. I can tell you every weak point on the frame. Rock crawling points out GLARINGLY, any frame deficiencies. The new XP, has a much better frame for rock crawling, but nobody that I know does hardcore crawling owns one. So I'm sure even the new frame has some weak point, but until you start crawling...you won't find it.
The issues experienced were all with brand new CanAm and Polaris machines, including a new XP 850 that experienced both the rim blow-out (from the inside of the rim) and the water pump (one after another).

roon101
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby roon101 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:47 am

i never buy a new model when it first comes out due to they never work out bugs like that just like cars look at pt cruiser ford mustangs new 97 jeep wranglers.

(pt crusier) blowen head gaskets after 10k miles
(97 jeep wrangler) tranny gone after 15k miles
(ford mustang) 2005 worn out bushing after 2k miles
(chevy colorado) blowend heads after 30k miles

all these where from there first years change over.
06 Polaris sportsman EFI 500 H.O.
25inch maxxis big horns.

Mr. Green
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Mr. Green » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:02 pm

i have a can am, and they do have issue with there frames for sure its a often talked about issue on any can am forum. I added full skids and also welded up 3 1 inch square tubes and sledge it down the hollow frame from the back end (again a much talked about DIY for can ams and it is a near perfect fit). The frame can not dent in words as easy afterwords. I did this DAY ONE before i even road it 1 mile and it has held up great. Now you my be asking "Do i have any dents in my frame" yes but when you hit a knife edge volcanic rock with your frame coming off a a little jump at 30-40 miles in hour something bads going to happen.

Ive done a little bit of rock crawling in mine but no where near enough to say if what ive done was enough to negate there "weak" frame but on the there other hand so far the richocet skids have held up good and taking a beating thats for sure.
09 can-am renegade

GrizzlyGuy
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby GrizzlyGuy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:27 am

Cool! That sounds kind of like the 6-day expedition that Flyin Boy and I did in 2006. We camped at Ruby's Inn instead of Panguitch since we started down at Circleville instead of Marysvale.

When you were in Torrey, did you have dinner at Rim Rock Inn? It's, uh, not exactly legal to ride the highway out to the restaurant but was well worth it. Great food including wild game and it was the only place we found where you could get a decent margarita. Riding the highway, at night, at about 50 mph on bighorns, with trucks... was a lot less stressful on the way back thanks to that margarita. [-X :D

Did you take different route back to Marysvale? We swung around to the east on Great Western on the way back so as to make a big loop out of it and cut back over to Paiute land somewhere up by Richfield. Nifty/neat scenery out that way and the trail was a bit more fun/challenging than Fremont Trail.
TV For Thrill Seekers: http://AdventureWorld.TV
More Videos: http://GrizzlyGuy.TV
Some More Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ATVGrizzlyGuy
Photos: http://www.GrizzlyGuy.com/ATVs
My quad: Grizzly 700, 25" Bighorns, Bash Plates,
Warn 2500 Winch

BruteForce

Postby BruteForce » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:16 pm

GG: I'll upload tracks (if the site will allow me, or post on my blog). We did a loop. Virtually no backtracking the entire route. We hit Casto Canyon and got caught in a flash flood on the return leg. It was actually a blast (minus the very close lightning and golf-ball sized hail).

As for Torrey, no.. Sadly, the nearest place we could find was some ICY FREEZY (or some such named place) burger & sandwich place at the edge of town. We stayed at the Days Inn overnight, which was already about 3 miles off the trail and down pavement.

ATV'er
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby ATV'er » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:15 am

Two weeks ago I spent the day guiding a crew from Dirt Trax Television and a pro rider from Yamaha on the Rubicon. I was impressed with their 700 with power steering. The Ride was a Yamaha sponcered event and they sent out 3 atv's and a rino for the television show. If I wasnt into rock crawling so much I would have looked into one of those.
KI6MLH

trainman
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Postby trainman » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:24 pm

Do you know when that piece will air on Dirt Traxx TV? Just curious, I watch it most times. They seem like a bunch of funny Canadians.