Heater in the handelbars

Go ahead...Let it out.

Moderator: hemingray

iceland-atv
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

Heater in the handelbars

Postby iceland-atv » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:13 am

Hi guys
When you put a heater in the handelbar can you take the old handels of and use them again, or is it better to buy new one(do i buy them at the same size as the old one)
thanks.

Kodiak
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kodiak » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:30 pm

i bought whole new grips with the heaters in them at cabelas. and just cut and pried off the old ones they were pretty messed up by the time they came off. some manufactures glue on their grips. which is why they were such a pain to remove.
Angelo

My Business mention ATV Obsession and i will hook you up.
http://www.mygemologist.com
K0HMR
My ATV!!
2006 Kodiak 450
warn 2500 winch, heated hand grips, and full custom skid plates with wrap around steel fender guards :) and 25" Bighorn tires

wellzy
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Postby wellzy » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:41 am

best way i found to get grips off if they are stuck is to pry the edge up and spray some oil into it and it will loosen the grips up and pop off. just make sure you wipe the oil off before you put the new ones on.
SPORTSMAN 850

Quad King
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

Postby Quad King » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:18 pm

I just added some to my 850 today. I took my stock grip and rolled them inside out and they came right off. I than added the heaters, used plenty of glue and slid the same grips back on. Just make sure you clean everything very good and this should work for you.
09 Polaris XP 850 EPS
08 KTM 613 xc
08 Harley Davidson screamin eagle dyna

ToddW
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby ToddW » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:58 pm

Use c02 or compressed air to get grips on and off that's what shops due.

If you want to keep them in place use glue, super glue works but only for a short while.

My polaris OEM heated grips are great, if you have thick gloves you won't notice them though. I have lined neopreme ones that work great wet or dry, and the handlebars keep them warm, even my mechanix gloves int he snow keep me warm when soaked in water (warm water!).

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:21 pm

Todd is right...

Air is the best way to get them off.

And the Neoprene gloves are awesome in the snow, if you have grip heaters....since them getting wet doesn't matter.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/