Rubicon Advice

Go ahead...Let it out.

Moderator: hemingray

User avatar
traildad
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:13 pm
Location: Northern California

Rubicon Advice

Postby traildad » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:56 pm

I have a friend that would like to check things out around or on the Rubicon. He rides one of those sport quads with the on demand 4x4 systems. Another rider has a dirt bike. He was also interested in checking out some of the trucks doing the trail. Is there any part of the trail where he can ride without dragging his quad over rocks non-stop? Which end would it be best to come in from. He is just planning a day trip to have some fun before winter is here. Thanks Ken
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Mine
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Wife's
We love to go Trail Riding and "ATV Backpacking"

User avatar
Ken
Site Admin
Posts: 7501
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:23 pm
Location: Auburn, CA
Contact:

Postby Ken » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:01 pm

Go on a Saturday.

Ride from Loon Lake....and go to the bowl....you can check them out anywhere around there....Gatekeeper...or att the top of the bowl.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

User avatar
traildad
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:13 pm
Location: Northern California

Postby traildad » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:01 pm

I will pass it on. Thanks
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Mine
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Wife's
We love to go Trail Riding and "ATV Backpacking"

User avatar
ToddW
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:05 pm
Location: Start of the Rubicon

Postby ToddW » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:36 pm

I've been behind 2wd quads on the `con... not fun when they are constantly spinning and throwing dirt and dust all over...

User avatar
traildad
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:13 pm
Location: Northern California

Postby traildad » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:53 pm

It is a sport quad but it is on-demand 4x4.
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Mine
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Wife's
We love to go Trail Riding and "ATV Backpacking"

User avatar
ToddW
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:05 pm
Location: Start of the Rubicon

Postby ToddW » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:20 pm

4x4 should be fine, esp if they can read trails.

User avatar
avejoe
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis
Posts: 284
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 8:21 pm
Location: Sacto

Postby avejoe » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:43 pm

IMO, anybody riding a 4x4 sport quad (typically, higher gearing and manual clutch) on the Rubicon should be very, very, careful.

95% of the trail is fine. It's the other 5%...
07 Suzuki 700 King Quad (Sold)
05 Suzuki DRZ 400s (Sold)
04 Suzuki DL 650 (Sold)
02 BMW 1150RT
2006 Kawi KLR650
75 Honda CT70
77 Honda CT70
12 Toyota Prius V8

User avatar
traildad
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:13 pm
Location: Northern California

Postby traildad » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:33 pm

I can imagine. This is one of those Polaris things with the visco lock or whatever.
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Mine
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Wife's
We love to go Trail Riding and "ATV Backpacking"

User avatar
Puddle Jumper
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:53 pm
Location: Plumas Lake, CA (Near Marysville)

Postby Puddle Jumper » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:46 pm

I agree with Ken. Starting at Loon is good. There is a good mix of trails real close.
Have fun.
2007 Polaris Sportsman 700 EFI

User avatar
ToddW
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:05 pm
Location: Start of the Rubicon

Postby ToddW » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:34 pm

Puddle Jumper wrote:I agree with Ken. Starting at Loon is good. There is a good mix of trails real close.
Have fun.
Yep.
Lots of nice trails off the Rubicon or starting by the Chalet.

I think the furthest we went from the Chalet was 15 miles then we hit road, and the side roads off that trail dead ended but we were close to another trail head according to the FS map. I haven't been up there in over a year so my memory is fuzzy.

Or you can go Rubicon --> Ellis --> Trail up or out to road too... tons of them.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests