Yet another "Tragic (edited for sensitivity)" acci

Go ahead...Let it out.

Moderator: hemingray

d2photo
Is Totally Obsessed

Yet another "Tragic (edited for sensitivity)" acci

Postby d2photo » Thu May 15, 2008 10:04 am

FORESTHILL, Calif. -- A man and woman were killed when the all-terrain vehicle they were riding on smashed into a tree east of Foresthill, the California Highway Patrol said.

Vitaliy Kolyadich, 25, and Svetlana Koval, 23, were found dead on Tuesday near the intersection of Mosquito Ridge Road at Interbay Road, CHP Officer Kelly Baraga said. The pair were not wearing helmets or protective gear.

The CHP said Kolyadich and Koval were riding on a Honda 400 EX Quad at the time of the crash, which took place close to French Meadows.

The quad failed to negotiate a turn and crashed, the CHP said.

Kolyadich was a nurse at Kaiser Foundation Hospital on Morse Avenue, officials said.

So here we have a quad that was not a 2-up riding double and a nurse not wearing a helmet.

Darwin winner??

BTW this is a 400 ex
Last edited by d2photo on Thu May 15, 2008 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D2
www.peta-atv.com

'06 650 V2 Cat (roll count - 3) (rides w/o roll - 40

"You may not be the solution, but you can ALWAYS be part of the problem. It's good to contribute where you can"

avejoe
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby avejoe » Thu May 15, 2008 11:52 am

Prolly a little harsh considering two people died.

Wise choices, no. Tragic, yes.
07 Suzuki 700 King Quad (Sold)
05 Suzuki DRZ 400s (Sold)
04 Suzuki DL 650 (Sold)
02 BMW 1150RT
2006 Kawi KLR650
75 Honda CT70
77 Honda CT70
12 Toyota Prius V8

GrizzlyGuy
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby GrizzlyGuy » Thu May 15, 2008 12:14 pm

It's a shame, two more lives lost needlessly.

Wacky idea: We donate all our old but usable helmets to the Forest Service, see if they would be willing to put up a "free loaner helmets" sign, and loan them out to anyone that wanted one for the day (for free). :?:

Then again, I suppose some government lawyer would think they might get sued, can't do it, and we're back to ground zero with people like this losing their lives. :(
TV For Thrill Seekers: http://AdventureWorld.TV
More Videos: http://GrizzlyGuy.TV
Some More Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ATVGrizzlyGuy
Photos: http://www.GrizzlyGuy.com/ATVs
My quad: Grizzly 700, 25" Bighorns, Bash Plates,
Warn 2500 Winch

d2photo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby d2photo » Thu May 15, 2008 12:41 pm

I didn't intend to belittle the loss of life that occurred in this accident.

But the media and groups that don't want us on the trails to begin with, find this kind of information great ammunition for their purposes.

What I find interesting is that one of the victims (driver) was a nurse. A person that sees head injuries on a fairly frequent basis..
D2
www.peta-atv.com

"You may not be the solution, but you can ALWAYS be part of the problem. It's good to contribute where you can"

DAVE
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby DAVE » Thu May 15, 2008 12:57 pm

the cause of the accident........pilot error........making bad decisions...

I am not going to be PC....

.I don't think D2's comments are harsh.

yes it is sad that someone lost a son, sister mother ect....

END
DAVE

Brute 750 Camo... 26'' MUDLITE XTR'S... Ramsey 3000 w/remote...eXplorist 400... Mair handguards... FlightCare Member

hellcat650

Postby hellcat650 » Thu May 15, 2008 1:24 pm

Was drinking a factor?
Last edited by hellcat650 on Mon May 19, 2008 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave x^3 (cubed)
07 Artic Cat TRV 650H1
2.5 warn winch
26" Bighorns
3.25 qts oil

d2photo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby d2photo » Thu May 15, 2008 3:16 pm

GrizzlyGuy wrote:It's a shame, two more lives lost needlessly.

Wacky idea: We donate all our old but usable helmets to the Forest Service, see if they would be willing to put up a "free loaner helmets" sign, and loan them out to anyone that wanted one for the day (for free). :?:

Then again, I suppose some government lawyer would think they might get sued, can't do it, and we're back to ground zero with people like this losing their lives. :(
2 problems I see with this idea (although the coast guard has a loaner program for life vests).

1. Sue happy society we live in.
2. HUGE liability issues. IE: when was the helmet tested, how old is it, sanitation issues (come on, I KNOW I've got some funk in my helmet), was it properly fitting. These are just a few off the top of my head..

This could go on forever, but this comes down to COMMON SENSE..and the lack there of.
D2
www.peta-atv.com

avejoe

Postby avejoe » Fri May 16, 2008 12:16 am

d2photo,

I'm sure that was not your intent. :)

Could not agree with you more on points 2 and 3.
07 Suzuki 700 King Quad (Sold)
05 Suzuki DRZ 400s (Sold)
04 Suzuki DL 650 (Sold)
02 BMW 1150RT
2006 Kawi KLR650
75 Honda CT70
77 Honda CT70
12 Toyota Prius V8

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Fri May 16, 2008 12:55 am

Wow...horrible and stupid.

Double riding, I'm sure was a MAJOR contributor....it's much harder to turn, less maneuverable....
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Loppy
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby Loppy » Fri May 16, 2008 8:21 am

avejoe wrote:d2photo,

I'm sure that was not your intent. .
Well, I'm happy to make it mine then. FULL BORE Darwin award winners. I have no tollerance for dumbasses like these. The fact is they were blasting around on one up sport quad at dangerous speeds and without helmets. The negligent stupidity cup runneth over.

Now we'll witness the families SUE Suzuki for making such an "evil" machine that kills people at will. They will sue the industry in general for not making some automatic helmet installer before the engine will start and speed limiters to 5MPH etc... Which will then translate eventually in higher costs, good products being taken away and our rights destroyed.

Reminds me of that stupid fawking boating safety commercial on the radio right now. "my son was riding in the water behind the boat. He disappeared and even though three adults dove after him, he was gone. IF I WOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT CARBON DIOXIDE FROM BOATS WAS 10 TIMES MORE POTENT THAT IT IS FROM CARS, HE'D BE WITH US TODAY..." What they DONT talk about in this "spot" is what I PERSONALLY KNOW about it. The kid was "teak surfing" (holding on to the swim step while the boat is forward in idle). DISPITE the CO2 warning sticker on the back of the boat, and COMMON boating knowledge, the dumbass parent allowed the kid to do this....

WITHOUT A LIFE JACKET ON!!!!!!!!!!

Uhm, no sir, you'd have your kid today IF HE WAS WEARING HIS LIVE VEST! YOUR ignorance killed him.

None the less, they sued Centurian and a host of others.

This chit drives me nuts.
Scars are tatoos with better stories

hemingray
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby hemingray » Fri May 16, 2008 8:54 am

Mosquito Ridge and Interbay? Not much off-road in that vicinity. Wonder if they were on the pavement.

hellcat650

Postby hellcat650 » Fri May 16, 2008 9:00 am

Loppy wrote:
avejoe wrote:d2photo,

I'm sure that was not your intent. .
Well, I'm happy to make it mine then. FULL BORE Darwin award winners. I have no tollerance for dumbasses like these. The fact is they were blasting around on one up sport quad at dangerous speeds and without helmets. The negligent stupidity cup runneth over.

Now we'll witness the families SUE Suzuki for making such an "evil" machine that kills people at will. They will sue the industry in general for not making some automatic helmet installer before the engine will start and speed limiters to 5MPH etc... Which will then translate eventually in higher costs, good products being taken away and our rights destroyed.

Reminds me of that stupid fawking boating safety commercial on the radio right now. "my son was riding in the water behind the boat. He disappeared and even though three adults dove after him, he was gone. IF I WOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT CARBON DIOXIDE FROM BOATS WAS 10 TIMES MORE POTENT THAT IT IS FROM CARS, HE'D BE WITH US TODAY..." What they DONT talk about in this "spot" is what I PERSONALLY KNOW about it. The kid was "teak surfing" (holding on to the swim step while the boat is forward in idle). DISPITE the CO2 warning sticker on the back of the boat, and COMMON boating knowledge, the dumbass parent allowed the kid to do this....

WITHOUT A LIFE JACKET ON!!!!!!!!!!

Uhm, no sir, you'd have your kid today IF HE WAS WEARING HIS LIVE VEST! YOUR ignorance killed him.

None the less, they sued Centurian and a host of others.

This chit drives me nuts.
x2
Some people will always try to blame others for their mistakes.
Dave x^3 (cubed)
07 Artic Cat TRV 650H1
2.5 warn winch
26" Bighorns
3.25 qts oil

Loppy
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby Loppy » Fri May 16, 2008 10:27 am

hemingray wrote:Mosquito Ridge and Interbay? Not much off-road in that vicinity. Wonder if they were on the pavement.
Kendo knows the area very well and said that it IS paved there. :roll:
Scars are tatoos with better stories

GrizzlyGuy
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby GrizzlyGuy » Fri May 16, 2008 10:46 am

Ken wrote: Double riding, I'm sure was a MAJOR contributor....it's much harder to turn, less maneuverable....
How about Grampa with his 3 young grand kids all piled onto a quad, with hunting gear, no helmets, on a 2-track trail that was wet, narrow, off-camber and with a roll-a-long-way slope along the side? That's what we saw in Utah as we were coming up a remote section of Great Western Trail in 2006.

This quad was midway in a string of about 8 quads in a row we passed that day where there were at least 2 people on it, none of them were 2-up quads, and nobody had a helmet on. About half of the "passengers" were kids.

I hope Grampa and family made it up the steepish section we had just come down when we met them. With our camping gear on the racks, plus the slick and off-camber parts, it sure wasn't a no-brainer to keep all 4 wheels on the ground.

In case anyone heads out there to ride, especially during hunting season, be prepared to see a lot of this. :(
TV For Thrill Seekers: http://AdventureWorld.TV
More Videos: http://GrizzlyGuy.TV
Some More Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ATVGrizzlyGuy
Photos: http://www.GrizzlyGuy.com/ATVs
My quad: Grizzly 700, 25" Bighorns, Bash Plates,
Warn 2500 Winch

hellcat650

Postby hellcat650 » Fri May 16, 2008 8:16 pm

My 2up was was alot more money. But I new i would be riding with my kid most of the time until she outgrew spening time with dad. I will never regret the extra i spent for the piece of mind.
Dave x^3 (cubed)
07 Artic Cat TRV 650H1
2.5 warn winch
26" Bighorns
3.25 qts oil