I AM AN IDIOT!!!!!

Go ahead...Let it out.

Moderator: hemingray

FishaHallic
Aka: Fishoil

I AM AN IDIOT!!!!!

Postby FishaHallic » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:12 pm

Well those of you who rode at Moon Rocks this weekend know that I was having an issue with my quad at the end of the ride. Well my original thought was right, it was running out of oil :cry: . When I got up this morning I went to unload the quad from the back of the truck and I checked the oil before I started it and no oil showed on the dipstick.

I ended up rolling the quad off the truck and into the garage where I proceeded to add oil. I then started it up and oil was shooting out around the filter. Now, I just did my first oil change before the ride mind you. The filter is located in the front of the motor in a kind of hard place to get to. I should have taken off the plastics and the inside wheel well to get a better few and I would have seen...........................the old oil filter gasket still stuck to the quad :crybaby: .. That's right I put the new filter w/gasket on top of the old gasket and that does not work.

Needless to say I rode the quad alot yesterday as the oil was draining out of the motor. By the time I got back to the truck the motor had a semi-loud rattle coming from the head :crybaby: . This time I took all the plastics off so I could get to the oil filter better and replaced the filter again, drained what little oil there was in the motor out and put a fresh 2 1/2 qts back in. Started the quad and it still has a rattle, after I let it idle for about 5 minutes I took it for a quick spin and it seems to run alright, it does not seem to have lost any top end or power off the line.

Which leeds to my question, what should I do just keep riding it. Take it to the shop and play dumb and tell them it developed a rattle (I have a 2yr extended warranty) or what? Since it seems to be running good (other than the rattle) to you think I it won't hurt the long term health of my motor or did I cause a premature death of my beloved King? Please be kind to me in my time of sorrow (Kendo :lol: )
07 King Quad with a little bling,
3.0 Warn Winch
Garmin 60CSX GPS (Update) broke this in rollover.

NORCAL-DS650
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Postby NORCAL-DS650 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:21 pm

Take it in to the shop and play dumb

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:53 pm

X2.

Clean it WELL...make sure there's no oil anywhere.

It sure sounded awful.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

GrizzlyGuy
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby GrizzlyGuy » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:04 pm

Trade it in on one of these electric jobs:

http://www.barefootmotors.com/products.html

No oil, so you can't fawk up the changes! :lol:
TV For Thrill Seekers: http://AdventureWorld.TV
More Videos: http://GrizzlyGuy.TV
Some More Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ATVGrizzlyGuy
Photos: http://www.GrizzlyGuy.com/ATVs
My quad: Grizzly 700, 25" Bighorns, Bash Plates,
Warn 2500 Winch

Keith Strong
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Keith Strong » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:46 pm

If you do that, make sure you mix the new oil with a little dirty oil, so it isnt obvious you just changed the oil.

I have employees do this occasionally in the Tire Lube Express. Then they cant believe when they are written up for costing the company a 4-6000 dollar motor in a late model car :roll:
07 Suzuki BlingQuad

DAVE
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby DAVE » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:24 pm

Take it to the shop and tell them you messed up.......if it's rattlin you got some problems.

it's diapointing looking at these posts tring to help someone be dishonest.
Last edited by DAVE on Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DAVE

Brute 750 Camo... 26'' MUDLITE XTR'S... Ramsey 3000 w/remote...eXplorist 400... Mair handguards... FlightCare Member

hellcat650
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby hellcat650 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:29 pm

Dang Dave, sorry to hear. I have never changed mine myself just for the fact that I fear making a mistake. I want to start doing it myself but who knows. I am not mechenically inclined and I probably keep alot of skilled people employeed. I think it will all come out ok in the end. :wink:

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:08 am

Dave Dave Dave, man that's a hard pill to swallow.

How much oil was in there when you drained it? The way it sounded when you left, my bet is the bearings took a lot of punishment and are probably scored and burnt. If that's all that happened, it's not too bad of a replacement. If they sacrificed and you still ran it, then you're talking new crankshaft or at the very least a resurfacing of the old one. Then it starts getting expensive.

If you put new oil in and the noise decreased, then maybe the damage wasn't as bad and a new set of bearings would fix you right back up. You can try putting some thicker oil in there, or even gear lube. If that quiets it down even more or eliminates the noise altogether, then it's likely just a new set of bearings.

The other question is a moral dilemma and could result in bad karma. Tough call. :-k
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS

hemingray
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby hemingray » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:52 am

Hi Dave,

Well, it happens to all of us in some way. Anyway, if I was in your position I think I would want to work on the engine, even with different oils etc you run the risk of having the thing go belly up somewhere out on the trail if it worsens. That's my biggest fear. I agree with the others that you probably put some serious wear on the bearings and maybe the wristpin on the piston. Best to get it looked at, as painful as it seems.

I'm currently down also, my truck's transmission is making funny sounds and at 175,000 miles I smell a big repair bill. Sigh.

Dave W.
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

zkeys
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby zkeys » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:48 pm

I have double o-ringed my old Raptor that I had, and it blew all its oil out all over my leg as soon as I started it up. I also did the same to my Dodge the day before I was leaving to go out west. Driving to the grocery, got about 30 feet out of the driveway, and boom, all the oil started spraying out. Completely covered my engine compartment etc. So don't feel bad man, it happens.

As for playing dumb, that is your call man. I recently bought a bundle of insulation for my garage. The bundle looked as it contained 3 rolls of insulation, and the casier even asked me. "Three rolls right?" as she inspected it. I said yes, paid and left. Got home, cut open the bundle and 5 rolls of insulation fell out. At $55 dollars a roll, I cheated Lowes out of $110. Not that I make a living out of stealing, but the cashier inspected it closely and thought it was only 3 rolls as well. Who knows, I may get a dose of conscious and take the 2 back, but I am not losing any sleep over it right now.

Thanks,

Zack
06 Brute Force 650 SRA Green
Dynatek CDI
26" Mud Lite XL's on ITP Series 4

NORCAL-DS650

Postby NORCAL-DS650 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:30 pm

You could use the oil change to your advantage, tell them you changed the oil went for a ride the next day, everything seemed fine and then the next day unloading it you heard a noise, Iam sure a condition of your warranty is oil changes, so they really cant use it against you.

FishaHallic

Postby FishaHallic » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:35 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, I still have a sickening feeling in my stomach that may take a little time to get over :crybaby: . Anyway let's say it was just the bearings, what are we looking at less than $500?

It sucks, I was not feeling well when I changed my oil, I could not find my oil tub, funnel, oil filter wrench and rags, nothing went right on that oil change. What really sucks is that I am constantly on the wife about her spending and yet I just bought the quad in August/07, the winch, gps, bags, helmet, and all the other things you need and now this. I wish she would just call me a dumb ass and be done with it, but noooooo, she is too nice to me and just tells me to take it in to get fixed. I'm pissed and now I feel quilty....................greaaaaaaaat :evil: .
3.0 Warn Winch

Keith Strong
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Keith Strong » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:17 pm

FishaHallic wrote: Anyway let's say it was just the bearings, what are we looking at less than $500?
Maybe if you do it yourself. I dunno what parts would cost, but I can guess that would easily be the labor charge at a shop...
07 Suzuki BlingQuad

FishaHallic

Postby FishaHallic » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:48 pm

Keith Strong wrote:
FishaHallic wrote: Anyway let's say it was just the bearings, what are we looking at less than $500?
Maybe if you do it yourself. I dunno what parts would cost, but I can guess that would easily be the labor charge at a shop...
My days of working on the quad are over for a while :evil:
3.0 Warn Winch

Vulcan

Postby Vulcan » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:30 am

FishaHallic

Sorry to here this man I know what you feel like. I am a mechanic pulled wrenches for over 10 years at Kelly Springfield and their is nothing one can say or do to make you feel better but my hats off to you for trying to change your own oil & filter.
I wish I was living in Utah full time I would have you bring the quad over and we could rebuilder her stronger and fast then ever. The parts are not cheap but the labor puts the cost over the edge for most of us as we are not rich.
I just finished with my Raptor cost was will over 5 grand I have in that parts only just to make it faster :(

If the motor is still making noise you need to rebuild the motor now don't put it off as more damage will happen. I would think that after putting new oil and a new filter making sure it is sealed idle for 5 min's and a short run to make sure everything is sealed it would of quit making noise if everything was still ok. The new motors are build way better today then 10 years ago and they also last a lot longer. Heck cars 20 years ago would run about 100 thousand then quit now they get around 300 to 500 thousand on motors in cars.