Recovery strap/rope/cable/??

Go ahead...Let it out.

Moderator: hemingray

DAVE
Is Totally Obsessed

Recovery strap/rope/cable/??

Postby DAVE » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:27 pm

Hey I would like to have some sort of strap or cable or something lets say 25 to 50 ft long so if I need a bit more than my winch has.....what do youi think?? got some ideas??
:wink:
DAVE

Brute 750 Camo... 26'' MUDLITE XTR'S... Ramsey 3000 w/remote...eXplorist 400... Mair handguards... FlightCare Member

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:58 am

In the snow? I'd say it's a must. You never know when you're going to get stuck without a tree nearby....

Jack, Terry and I bought 50 Feet...after this famous, er infamous trip....that's when Terry left me behind.

We literally, had like 3-4 feet to spare to this small tree. That was 50ft, + 15 ft strap + 15 ft strap + 15 ft strap.

For snow? I wouldn't worry about synth rope...it's smaller and compact. But for rocks....steel baby. Steve from Montana Jacks, has 200 feet of cable wrapped around his front box...you know what? At Moab...we freaking used it.

That tree at the top...was a LONG way away...
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

DAVE
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby DAVE » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:33 am

Nothing like a visual.......I am going to the hardware store and pick up some cable and ends, unless someone's got a better idea. :roll:
DAVE

Brute 750 Camo... 26'' MUDLITE XTR'S... Ramsey 3000 w/remote...eXplorist 400... Mair handguards... FlightCare Member

ACLakey
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby ACLakey » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:56 am

I have two 25' nylon two straps in my box at all times. They roll up and don't take up much space. They are similar the this, but longer.

They defiantly come in handy.

Pepe
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Postby Pepe » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:22 am

What I use is this white strap that electricians or tel-com guys use for pulling wire through conduit. It is about 3/4" wide and has numbered foot marks along its entire length. It is rated at 2500lbs I think. Never the less you can usually get it for free off a jobsite from the electricians. I keep 100 to 200 ft with me on the quad and it takes up the space of about 4 coke cans.

oldtrucks
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby oldtrucks » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:10 pm

I have about 100 feet of the lightweight tape Pepe was talking about too. I wouldn't hang off of it or use it where I was 100% dependent on it, but for long pulls in the snow it's good stuff. I think Montana Jacks sells the winch cable in pre-made lengths of 50' and 100', with the crimped ends.
Larry (ATV Ansel)

Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces

[url=http://www.offroadobsession.com/store]Offroad Obsession[/url]

[url=http://www.rallyontherocks.com]Rally on the Rocks![/url]