TNF - Heads up

Go ahead...Let it out.

Moderator: hemingray

dp
Is tracking a shipment right now

TNF - Heads up

Postby dp » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:13 pm

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/tahoe/news/07_n ... rest.shtml

Appears to be a temporary restirction for OHV.
'05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:16 pm

Not really sure what isn't included there...as it says "Designated Roads". So as long as it's a road in the USFS system or a county road...not a problem.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

FishaHallic
Aka: Fishoil

Postby FishaHallic » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:28 pm

Off-Highway Vehicle Use – Only permitted on designated roads; the Prosser Pit area near Truckee; and the Sugar Pine OHV area north of Foresthill. (Not permitted on trails other than the areas mentioned)

I'm not sure but it sounds like your ONLY allowed in the Prosser Pit area and Sugar Pine OHV area north of Foresthill. But what do I know I don't even have a quad yet :wink: , or for that matter I don't even know where these places are :D .

traildad
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby traildad » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:38 pm

Ken wrote:Not really sure what isn't included there...as it says "Designated Roads". So as long as it's a road in the USFS system or a county road...not a problem.
That's the way I read it also. Sounds like it's ok on any of the forest roads and also the trails in the two OHV areas. All other "trails" are closed. I will be calling them tomorrow. I am planning on riding up to Meadow lake this weekend.
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Mine
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Wife's
We love to go Trail Riding and "ATV Backpacking"

FishaHallic
Aka: Fishoil

Postby FishaHallic » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:29 pm

Now I see, designated roads (coma) and then the two OHV areas mentioned, I read it as designated roads in the two OHV areas. :oops: :oops:

hemingray
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby hemingray » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:44 pm

Thanks for the heads up on this. I was enjoying some, err, trails today up near Bowman lake.

THe Plumas doesn't have anything extra on OHV use:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/plumas/forest_o ... /03-07.pdf

The Eldorado says: Among other restrictions - not allowed is "Operating an internal combustion engine off National Forest System roads and National Forest System trails, except for boats or dredges on a water surface."

Seems the Tahoe is doing a "not on my watch" exercise.

Remember, they are YOUR National Forests! :-)
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:55 am

IMO...it doesn't really mean all that much...since you can't ride in areas that are NOT designated roads...especially in El Dorado, after the lawsuit.

In EDC, that would be No more than 1 Vehicle length off the trail...and on the Rubicon it would be no more than 25 Feet either side of the centerline.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

hemingray
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby hemingray » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:47 pm

Explanation given to a friend at the Truckee Ranger Station:

OHVs can only ride on the big numbered roads. Clarification given regarding the difference in the "numbered roads" like "07" vs. the side roads they number like 07-385-13. Those side roads (actually trails) are all closed. They said the open ones are the major 1 or 2-digit roads where a fire truck could drive.

Even with other existing restrictions, those would have been legal except for the Tahoe's explicit call-out of OHV use - right? Or am I misunderstanding the "designated roads" thing? Tahoe now has two sets of maps - the most current being April, and which lacks any location naming and road numbering ("show me, Your Honor, where I am supposed to know what roads are legal and what aren't.")

-Dave
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

dp
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby dp » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:23 pm

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/tahoe/docume...strictions.pdf

I don't think the rangers know what's restricted based on the various phone calls I've heard about.
'05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI

traildad
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby traildad » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:58 pm

hemingray wrote:Explanation given to a friend at the Truckee Ranger Station:

OHVs can only ride on the big numbered roads. Clarification given regarding the difference in the "numbered roads" like "07" vs. the side roads they number like 07-385-13. Those side roads (actually trails) are all closed. They said the open ones are the major 1 or 2-digit roads where a fire truck could drive.

Even with other existing restrictions, those would have been legal except for the Tahoe's explicit call-out of OHV use - right? Or am I misunderstanding the "designated roads" thing? Tahoe now has two sets of maps - the most current being April, and which lacks any location naming and road numbering ("show me, Your Honor, where I am supposed to know what roads are legal and what aren't.")

-Dave
Well if you look at the Forest hill map it shows trails numbered 1 thru 7. These are shown on the map as being different than dirt roads. The person that answered my phone call didn't sound very authoritative but she said that roads are open. Trails are closed except in the two OHV areas. If they closed the roads you couldn't even drive into those areas of the forest and I don't think they are doing that.
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Mine
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Wife's
We love to go Trail Riding and "ATV Backpacking"