My Moab, Day 2

Go ahead...Let it out.

Moderator: hemingray

zkeys
Is tracking a shipment right now

My Moab, Day 2

Postby zkeys » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:44 am

All, there are links to all of my pictures on the last page of this thread. All of them got moved around in Photobucket over the past several years.

Bull Canyon which offers a great view underneath Gemini

From Bull Canyon we rode across a supposed "shortcut" to Gold Bar Rim. This shortcut took lots of time and was not an easy ride. Once we got to Gold Bar we found little gems like this..

We really did not go much farther past the Rusty Nail turnoff, due to the fact that I felt like I had been vigorously squat humped by horny space apes. We did, however, find Larry's (oldtrucks) significant obstacle. I would love to try this with a large group, but with just me and my parents, I did not give it a whirl. It looked very do-able.

Last edited by zkeys on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
06 Brute Force 650 SRA Green
Dynatek CDI
26" Mud Lite XL's on ITP Series 4

cajungal64
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby cajungal64 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:45 pm

Great pics! I think it is awesome that you are able to share this with your folks! They must be quite an adventurous pair! Ya'll enjoy the rest of your trip and get out Ken & I's way for a trip on the Rubicon!! Anytime!!
Lori

Polaris 800 which I bum from the webmaster!!!

[i]If ya gonna run with the big dawgs, you gotta quit pissin' on the porch with the poodles![/i]

oldtrucks
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby oldtrucks » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:44 pm

I didn't even think to warn you about the route into Gold Bar from Gemini. Gold Bar sneaks up on you, all the way up you have little shelves to take, you round that turn an wham! That right side where all the rock is piled at the base is very ridable, but with a mixed group you made the right call by turning back. Give the 7 Mile Rim a look, just turn right on the trail just outside the Archview gate, follow that up to the next driveway and then cross the highway. There is a major road that will take you you across a set of tracks then follow that until you see the trail sign. If you need any coordinates or waypoints for turns let me know
Larry (ATV Ansel)

Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces

[url=http://www.offroadobsession.com/store]Offroad Obsession[/url]

[url=http://www.rallyontherocks.com]Rally on the Rocks![/url]

zkeys

Postby zkeys » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:47 pm

oldtrucks wrote:I didn't even think to warn you about the route into Gold Bar from Gemini. Gold Bar sneaks up on you, all the way up you have little shelves to take, you round that turn an wham! That right side where all the rock is piled at the base is very ridable, but with a mixed group you made the right call by turning back. Give the 7 Mile Rim a look, just turn right on the trail just outside the Archview gate, follow that up to the next driveway and then cross the highway. There is a major road that will take you you across a set of tracks then follow that until you see the trail sign. If you need any coordinates or waypoints for turns let me know
Hey thanks man! I have all the waypoints and routes plugged into my trusty Garmin Vista. In addition I have Trails Illustrated Moab North, South, Lattitude 40 Moab, Funtreks 4X4 trail guide, and Funtreks ATV guide.....Yep, I'm nerdy like that. We are going to head to 7 Mile Rim/Tusher Tunner/Determination Towers tomorrow. Looks to be a good ride.
Zack
Dynatek CDI

zkeys

Postby zkeys » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:03 pm

We did take a short hike up the Moab Rim Trail. Found some cool obstacles. The only thing that would be a little scary is a very off camber turn on about a 40-45 degree incline with the river canyon about 10 feet off to the left. Add in a little ledge to climb. The first major obstacle called Devil's Crack looked pretty intimidating, but I do not think you would have to winch it. Here are some pics.

You have to make that turn around that rock in the top of the pic. The route is very steep.

The Devil's Crack

And some pretty scenery...
Dynatek CDI

Quadgoddess
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Quadgoddess » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:31 am

Nice pics...Looks steep is an understatement!... I'd be hearing the strings of this... :-({|=... if I were there...lol
[url=http://carolann63.smugmug.com/]~My Pix~[/url]

zkeys

Postby zkeys » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:58 pm

Quadgoddess wrote:Nice pics...Looks steep is an understatement!... I'd be hearing the strings of this... :-({|=... if I were there...lol
Hehe, actually alot of the stuff looks real intimidating, but in reality it not to awful hard. Anything with slickrock allows your tires to grip pretty good. The things that worry me are the steep ups and downs, with sand and rocks. I did some difficult stuff on Metal Masher the other day and was fine. Today I tried a small rocky/sandy hill on the far side of 7 mile rim and got really stuck. Tires coming off the ground and spinning...and the hill did not look difficult at all. Secret is, don't let the hard stuff intimidate you, and dont let the easy stuff get the best of you..
Dynatek CDI

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:40 pm

Looks like you're having a blast...Thanks for the pictures...the last one looks like Larry took it. :wink:
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

zkeys

Postby zkeys » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:45 pm

Ken wrote:Looks like you're having a blast...Thanks for the pictures...the last one looks like Larry took it. :wink:
I did that in his honor....
Dynatek CDI

DAVE
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby DAVE » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:07 pm

We did take a short hike up the Moab Rim Trail. Found some cool obstacles. The only thing that would be a little scary is a very off camber turn on about a 40-45 degree incline with the river canyon about 10 feet off to the left. Add in a little ledge to climb. The first major obstacle called Devil's Crack looked pretty intimidating, but I do not think you would have to winch it.
I did moab rim trail a few years ago with my land cruiser fj40,,,,,,,,,,cool stuff. keep the pics comin 8)
DAVE

Brute 750 Camo... 26'' MUDLITE XTR'S... Ramsey 3000 w/remote...eXplorist 400... Mair handguards... FlightCare Member

zkeys

Postby zkeys » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:46 am

I've got pics coming from 7 mile rim, determination towers, and behind the rocks (well, sorta) We are busy running around so I have not had time to get anything sized down, gosh I need a vacation.... :shock:
Zack
Dynatek CDI

zkeys

Postby zkeys » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:48 am

DAVE wrote:
We did take a short hike up the Moab Rim Trail. Found some cool obstacles. The only thing that would be a little scary is a very off camber turn on about a 40-45 degree incline with the river canyon about 10 feet off to the left. Add in a little ledge to climb. The first major obstacle called Devil's Crack looked pretty intimidating, but I do not think you would have to winch it.
I did moab rim trail a few years ago with my land cruiser fj40,,,,,,,,,,cool stuff. keep the pics comin 8)
One of the best 4X4 vehicles ever made I might add (fj40). You must post some pics!
Dynatek CDI

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:25 pm

zkeys wrote:One of the best 4X4 vehicles ever made I might add (fj40).
one of...but not "the" :)

The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

DAVE
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby DAVE » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:12 pm

Ken wrote:
zkeys wrote:One of the best 4X4 vehicles ever made I might add (fj40).
one of...but not "the" :)

Ken still got that thing................... :)
DAVE

Brute 750 Camo... 26'' MUDLITE XTR'S... Ramsey 3000 w/remote...eXplorist 400... Mair handguards... FlightCare Member

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:25 pm

Still got it.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director