Toy Haulers

Go ahead...Let it out.

Moderator: hemingray

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:37 am

My 5th wheel and Duramax combo get decent gas mileage. . . going to Moab pulling the 5th wheel with two quads (800lbs and 650lbs) , no water, no fuel in the trailer, got about 12-14 (depend on how fast we were going. we ostly cruised between 60 and 65 going.

I personally have an Edelbrock exhaust, a AirRaid cold air intake and a super chip programmer.

As for driving on the freeway, long distance with cruise control set at about 75, I get about 20, but when I have to start the stop and go traffic, or have to pull something I drop to about 17 real quick, but it holds there fine. (17mpg when I pull my boat which is about 4k lbs with trailor and full of fuel (40 gallons) plus or minus of course)
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:49 am

MrPolaris wrote: I personally have an Edelbrock exhaust, a AirRaid cold air intake and a super chip programmer.
Translation:I have a friend at Edelbrock that gives me samples. :wink:
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:19 pm

no no no. . . gives me and installs for me. . .
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

springtuckyn
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Postby springtuckyn » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:37 pm

Cool. I just bought the 2805 Superchips for my LB7, and just got it to work... long story (basicaly their 1.12 ROM has a bug and locked up my ECU twice, had to ship it to them to have them reflash... v1.13 has a fix in it...) Do you use the TOW setting? or TOW/PERF? I have about 8000 lbs to pull and wondered what other's have done sucessfully. Also, I'm curious if the tire calibration feature (spedo calibration) corrects the mileage calculations for the ODO and trip and that is how the mileage, along with the fuel atomization that happens with their programming, gives the improved economy numbers. ?
2005 700 EFI Sportsman CAMO

springtuckyn

Postby springtuckyn » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:46 pm

I forgot to mention I am running 285's, and so setting the tire calibration setting to 31"....

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:16 pm

I don't have a chip in mine, but I use the Tow Mode most of the time. It's a HUGE brake saver....
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

max2
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

Postby max2 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:33 pm

Here is a toy hauler for ya, $4000.00 and its yours
'07 Kawi 650i, Camo, Moose module, Moose handguards, Venom 3k winch

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:45 pm

when I am towing my boat I use teh tow performance mode, when just running around town I use the performance mode. . .

when I am pulling the 5th wheel I change it over to use the Tow mode with the tow mode on the truck also engaged. . .
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

WillRide
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby WillRide » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:52 pm

With my Dmax I never get more than 19-20 mpg on the open road going around 70. Pulling my 23' Superlite to Pismo I average around 12. My truck is totaly stock. I would love to get a 6" lift and a set of 35" Super Swampers, but I hear the big wheels really hurt the fuel milage.
--Will
'15 RZR S 900 eps (oh yes I did!)
'02 Yamaha Raptor

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:01 am

They do hurt it....Also 6" lift is probably too much for a 5th wheel....so you wouldn't have that option.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:16 am

Forgot I was supposed to report back here with mileage numbers. :oops:

At the est. 18k GVW, we got just under 10 going up to Plumas/Graegle area. Lots of long grades and elevation changes.

Last Friday I tore into the truck to do some upgrades. I put Bilsteins all the way around (huge improvement, little stiffer ride, but nice), a new BD drivers side exhaust manifold (the old one has a nasty restriction cast into it), boost/pyrometer gauges and my Kennedy boost controller.

To put the manifold in, it's easier to remove the intercooler piping on that side. When I took mine off, I found a hole the size of the end of my pinky in it!!! Well hell, maybe that's where my frickin boost is going!!! I welded that up (sure is nice to be able to weld aluminum) and put it back in once everything else was done.

All I can say is what a difference!!! I don't know if it was the hole, the boost controller, the exhaust or a combination of all three, but the truck is ALIVE!! Off the line performance is where I noticed the biggest improvement. It is snappy, like a gas motor now. And being a diesel, it continues to pull like a freight train until I decide to let off.

Haven't towed anything of any weight yet, but I expect it to perform much better. Might actually bump my mileage too. :wink:

BTW - I run 285 tires as well, and the setting should be around a 33" tire. If you do the math, they come out just a hair under 33". Makes a big difference when calculating mileage, considering the speedo is electronic.
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS

springtuckyn

Postby springtuckyn » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:39 pm

Superchips says to put a tape across your tire to get the tire size for that feature in their tuner. My 285's came out to 31".

I'd be curious to see if you get better mileage with your new mods. I am getting ready to pull my 28' Tahoe a bit this weekend, and it will be the first try with the SC "TOW" setting.