Helmets

Go ahead...Let it out.

Moderator: hemingray

ToddW
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Helmets

Postby ToddW » Wed May 09, 2007 12:05 am

So, when it comes to quads and helmets what's the law?

When you are on the rubicon? Greenhorn? etc?

I know Prairie City requires them but I'm not sure that means you are REQUIRED to wear them in other areas too?

I'm not about to not wear a helment all the time but am curious what the law is.

ToddW

Postby ToddW » Wed May 09, 2007 12:09 am

So, I found this.

Safety Helmet Required by law for ATV's only - Not enforced for Off-Road motorcycles unless riding on State or Federal Land - (each agency has the flexibility to enforce or not enforce the helmet law on their land.

With that said... how strict are they on the Rubicon? Around Loon Lake? We often camp at Loon Lake near the gatekeeper and making trips there and back to camp w/a helmet when it's 90+ isn't as nice as no helmet and fresh air through your hair...

It's probably along the lines of piling 10 guys on your rig to haul them from camp to trailhead... just a risk you take of a jerk patrol guy right???

[/u]

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Wed May 09, 2007 7:50 am

This is from Ca. DMV
"Safety Helmets: Required
27803. (a) A driver and any passenger shall wear a safety helmet meeting requirements established pursuant to Section 27802 when riding on a motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, or motorized bicycle.
(b) It is unlawful to operate a motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, or motorized bicycle if the driver or any passenger is not wearing a safety helmet as required by subdivision (a).

(c) It is unlawful to ride as a passenger on a motorcycle, motor-driven cycles, or motorized bicycle if the driver or any passenger is not wearing a safety helmet as required by subdivision (a).

(d) This section applies to persons who are riding on motorcycles, motor-driven cycles, or motorized bicycles operated on the highways.

(e) For the purposes of this section, "wear a safety helmet" or "wearing a safety helmet" means having a safety helmet meeting the requirements of Section 27802 on the person's head that is fastened with the helmet straps and that is of a size that fits the wearing person's head securely without excessive lateral or vertical movement.

(f) This section does not apply to a person operating, or riding as a passenger in, a fully enclosed three-wheeled motor vehicle that is not less than seven feet in length and not less than four feet in width, and has an unladen weight of 900 pounds or more, if the vehicle meets or exceeds all of the requirements of this code, the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, and the rules and regulations adopted by the United States Department of Transportation and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

(g) In enacting this section, it is the intent of the Legislature to ensure that all persons are provided with an additional safety benefit while operating or riding a motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, or motorized bicycle.

Amended Ch. 32, Stats. 1991. Effective January 1, 1992.
Amended Sec. 4, Ch. 710, Stats. 1997. Effective January 1, 1998. "
I would think it applys to all of Ca.
I know section D states "on highway" but I think it is on and off road.
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

MrBill

Postby MrBill » Wed May 09, 2007 8:37 am

Found it State law:
Safety Helmet Required
38505. No person, on and after January 1, 1989, shall operate, ride, or be otherwise propelled on an all-terrain vehicle on public lands unless the person wears a safety helmet meeting requirements established for motorcycles and motorized bicycles, pursuant to Section 27802.

Amended Ch. 165, Stats. 1988. Effective January 1, 1989.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d16_5/vc38505.htm

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed May 09, 2007 10:19 am

It's very simple...

In California, you are required to wear a helmet, unless you are on private property.

The Rubicon is a GUARANTEED ticket. The Rubicon is a County Road from start, to finish. ALL laws that apply I80, apply to the Rubicon. It's that simple.

Without reading those regulations....I'm almost positive it's a $98 ticket. Double rider, is the same fine.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Chadd
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Chadd » Wed May 09, 2007 11:03 am

And both Helmet tickets and Riding double tickets go on your driving record...
2007 Can-Am 800 XT, Full skid Plates, HMF Exhaust, Dobeck EFI Controller, AKA Zuki Eater Huh Larry.

d2photo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby d2photo » Wed May 09, 2007 11:11 am

Kinda think it just comes under "common sense" when riding where we do as well..

D2
www.peta-atv.com

'06 650 V2 Cat (roll count - 3) (rides w/o roll - 40

"You may not be the solution, but you can ALWAYS be part of the problem. It's good to contribute where you can"

ToddW

Postby ToddW » Wed May 09, 2007 1:36 pm

Ken wrote:It's very simple...

In California, you are required to wear a helmet, unless you are on private property.

The Rubicon is a GUARANTEED ticket. The Rubicon is a County Road from start, to finish. ALL laws that apply I80, apply to the Rubicon. It's that simple.

Without reading those regulations....I'm almost positive it's a $98 ticket. Double rider, is the same fine.
I don't see how it's so SIMPLE.

While I understand what the Rubicon is have you seen anyone get a ticket for not having a seatbelt, mudflaps, etc, etc. I know I've loaded up people on my rig (jeep) and taken them around the slabs and passed by rangers/patrol and been fine. Maybe just a hey don't do that be safe but not a ticket.

It's not simple because the law is going to be enforced based on who is there meaning one person/cop may allow it and another may not.

D2Photo- I agree, a helmet is a good idea most of the time. But, how many times have you fallen/thrown yourself off and needed that helmet? Going fast, whoops I understand a full-on helmet.. but climbing the rubicon and other trails when you go 1-2mph you can step-off jump off or just lay down w/the rollover.

I'm not argueing that a helmet is a bad idea I'm just saying there's a LOT OF time I'd like to be able to "breath" w/out a thing wrapped around my head. I'm looking into a tiny lil helmet for this now ;)

Anyway, thanks for all the info guys :D

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed May 09, 2007 4:02 pm

I'm saying the Law is simple....I didn't say the enforcement would be. It's no different than I80.....We all know the speed limit is 65....but we drive 75....one guy will pull you over...one guy won't...and one guy will give you warning....

Doesn't change the simplicity of the law.

I just had a meeting last Friday with the Head EDSO for the Rubicon and they confirmed that helmets, and fires (without permit and after no fire period) would be strictly enforced.

People forget the Rubicon is unique, in that it is a County road.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

ToddW

Postby ToddW » Wed May 09, 2007 6:53 pm

Ken wrote:I'm saying the Law is simple....I didn't say the enforcement would be. It's no different than I80.....We all know the speed limit is 65....but we drive 75....one guy will pull you over...one guy won't...and one guy will give you warning....

Doesn't change the simplicity of the law.

I just had a meeting last Friday with the Head EDSO for the Rubicon and they confirmed that helmets, and fires (without permit and after no fire period) would be strictly enforced.

People forget the Rubicon is unique, in that it is a County road.
Well said :)

traildad

Postby traildad » Wed May 09, 2007 7:19 pm

ToddW wrote:
D2Photo- But, how many times have you fallen/thrown yourself off and needed that helmet?
:shock: :wink:
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Mine
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Wife's
We love to go Trail Riding and "ATV Backpacking"

d2photo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby d2photo » Wed May 09, 2007 9:41 pm

ToddW wrote:
D2Photo- I agree, a helmet is a good idea most of the time. But, how many times have you fallen/thrown yourself off and needed that helmet? Going fast, whoops I understand a full-on helmet.. but climbing the rubicon and other trails when you go 1-2mph you can step-off jump off or just lay down w/the rollover.
Boy talk about opening my can of worms.. Please note the big grey things. I think they call them ROCKS. and if my kindergarten years were right they are harder than your head...

Well this is from ONE trip SAME day - Larry first..

And then my more dramatic trip:

These were both incidents of less than 2-3 miles an hour.

My first flop/roll I "can't remember" due to a concussion. All I can remember is opening my eyes and seeing my arm holding my front rack to keep the rest of my 750lb quad from continuing the roll on me as my leg was trapped under the floor board.

and what about the time I was backing over the rock in Yuba Gap - granted I hopped off the quad before I got hurt but the thing is you never know when something will happen..

Once again a friendly reminder from our friends @ despair.com

D2
www.peta-atv.com

'06 650 V2 Cat (roll count - 3) (rides w/o roll - 40

"You may not be the solution, but you can ALWAYS be part of the problem. It's good to contribute where you can"

traildad

Postby traildad » Wed May 09, 2007 10:19 pm

d2photo wrote:but the thing is you never know when something will happen..
That is for sure. You can just be riding easy and around a corner comes some wild guy at 45 and there is nothing you can do but pray. Ride around a corner and the sun is blinding you or you look sideways or back and "oh no" I didn't see that two foot deep hole. :shock: There is just never enough time to put that helmet on when you are flying through the air. :cry:
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Mine
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Wife's
We love to go Trail Riding and "ATV Backpacking"

ToddW

Postby ToddW » Wed May 09, 2007 10:59 pm

It would appear you should have your helmet on when you are walking around the house too... you seem accident prone :shock: Afterall falling off the curb on the way to the mail box could cause another concusion :roll:

(Note: only giving you a hard time)

I want to RE NOTE I never siad wearing a helmet was a bad thing... but I think there are times and places where it isn't needed. I also think it SHOULD be personal choice like other states do for motorcycles, and yes I think it's stupid to ride on the road w/out a helmet. But on the trail, going slow or where it's not needed you should have the CHOICE.

MrBill

Postby MrBill » Thu May 10, 2007 7:35 am

You can blame this manImage