ATV shopping opinions

Go ahead...Let it out.

Moderator: hemingray

zkeys
Is tracking a shipment right now

ATV shopping opinions

Postby zkeys » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:52 pm

Hello All,
I hope to be in the market for a large bore utility ATV here shortly. Here are the models I have been considering, and some thoughts that I have on each.

King Quad-I love the EFI since I do lots of higher elevation riding, and hate trying to jet the carbs. I like the looks as well. Just unsure if it would have the power compared to the v-twin Brute Forces.

Brute Force 650 and 750 - I am really digging the straight axle 650's to retain some sportiness when I ride. On the other hand, I absolutely HATE the drive system on my Prairie 360, and after testing the Brutes, it seems to be the same crap. I do not want to constantly be tightening the belt like I am now. But, I love the V-twin power.

Grizzly 660 or 700- obviously I would love the EFI, but I think the 700 is really out of my price range. I like the looks of the Grizzly's, but once again, just concerned if I would like the power after riding the Brute Forces.

Any opinions on any of the above quads? Good/Bad/Ugly? I will be of course be doing many test drives, but just want to see what the real experts think. :)
Thanks in advance for your time!
Zack
06 Brute Force 650 SRA Green
Dynatek CDI
26" Mud Lite XL's on ITP Series 4

Keith Strong
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Keith Strong » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:46 pm

I love my KQ. Plenty of power. I just put on an LRD pipe and dobeck controller and almost looped it in the street. My neighbors laughed at me :lol:
07 Suzuki BlingQuad

zkeys

Postby zkeys » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:06 pm

Keith Strong wrote:I love my KQ. Plenty of power. I just put on an LRD pipe and dobeck controller and almost looped it in the street. My neighbors laughed at me :lol:
Hehe, good stuff man. Thanks for the reply Keith. I take it the pipe/controller combo really sets the KQ free? Does it seem big? I guess, I am asking is it still fun to goof off with, not just all work and no play?
Thanks,
Zack
Dynatek CDI

Keith Strong
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Keith Strong » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:16 pm

I am having a blast on it, both 4x4 and racin. I must clarify it is not a sport quad. I ride mine relatively hard, but it taught me very quickly to respect its size and weight. The suspension is super soft, which is awesome wheelin but sketchy on high speed turns. It's all about knowing your limits, and then pushing them :twisted:
07 Suzuki BlingQuad

zkeys

Postby zkeys » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:11 am

Keith Strong wrote:I am having a blast on it, both 4x4 and racin. I must clarify it is not a sport quad. I ride mine relatively hard, but it taught me very quickly to respect its size and weight. The suspension is super soft, which is awesome wheelin but sketchy on high speed turns. It's all about knowing your limits, and then pushing them :twisted:
Hell yeah man! As long as it can be ridden hard that is cool. I will definately have to give them a good hard test drive. The soft suspension kinda worried me since I am a bigger dude, but about $1000 could fix that easily :lol:
Thanks man!
Zack
Dynatek CDI

cajungal64
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby cajungal64 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:35 am

Keith Strong wrote:I am having a blast on it, both 4x4 and racin. I must clarify it is not a sport quad. I ride mine relatively hard, but it taught me very quickly to respect its size and weight. The suspension is super soft, which is awesome wheelin but sketchy on high speed turns. It's all about knowing your limits, and then pushing them :twisted:
Dude... you're almost somebody's "daddy" and I don't mean Debe! Could you maybe try to keep your limits "reasonable", I do believe you've pushed the envelope WAY too far a few times even though you came out smelling like a rose!! :roll:
Lori

Polaris 800 which I bum from the webmaster!!!

[i]If ya gonna run with the big dawgs, you gotta quit pissin' on the porch with the poodles![/i]

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:38 am

Of those choices...I'd go for the KQ.

It's got power...due to the Japanese weight limit, it's a good 200 lbs lighter than the Sportsman....it has good power.

You will notice on rocks, the narrower width and the shorter wheelbase. So you have to be a little more keen to rolling.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

hemingray
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby hemingray » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:07 am

I have an 07 Yamaha Grizzly 660 and I am extremely happy with it - though this is a short term opinion since I have only 22 hours on it so far. I considered the 700 EFI Grizz, but in all honesty I decided that it's technology seems a bit new. Anecdotal evidence from ATV boards all over seems to say that they do have some issues whioh are not necessarily dealer fixes yet.

So, I chose the tried and true 660 and it's just awesome for me. I admit I tilted towards Yamaha since I had a road bike years ago and it was not hard to like the Grizzlies (the significant other has a 450 too).

So, there's my $.02 from the Yamaha quarter. I think the top contenders all have their good points and you probably can't go wrong with any of them - your gut feel about styling and features will probably tell the tale.

Best of luck,

Dave
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

zkeys

Postby zkeys » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:03 pm

Thanks Dave! The unfortunate thing is that my gut is telling me that I need to eat chicken wings and beer tonight. I have test driven the BF's, and an 05 Grizz. Yet to throw my sac over the KQ. So I basically have a good bit of test driving to do, we will see how it goes.
Thanks for the reply man!
Zack
Dynatek CDI