Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:46 pm

Here's a starting point for you Ken:

"Moonrocks" lat=39.8488777164, lon=-119.742211053
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS

cajungal64
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby cajungal64 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:02 pm

hemingray wrote:I think this will get you there on Google Earth: http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/download.php?Number=99441
The resolution in that area on Google is lousy tho.... Got this from another bike site, but it seems to match the directions... :-)

Sounds like an interesting place - just might head there myself!

Dave
Bring the wife too! Get that "garbage hauling" quad out for a real "play" day! It's always great fun and GREAT...wait I wouldn't go THAT FAR.. so, I'll stick with "nice" people. Just watch out for Keith... :lol:
Lori

Polaris 800 which I bum from the webmaster!!!

[i]If ya gonna run with the big dawgs, you gotta quit pissin' on the porch with the poodles![/i]

hemingray
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby hemingray » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:11 am

cajungal64 wrote:Bring the wife too! Get that "garbage hauling" quad out for a real "play" day! It's always great fun and GREAT...wait I wouldn't go THAT FAR.. so, I'll stick with "nice" people. Just watch out for Keith... :lol:
Oh yes - I don't think I'll be allowed to take one quad out without the other... :shock: I finally got out to Greenhorn and had a blast (note my avatar has lost the garbage toter!) so it's on to more real riding. The description of Moonrocks/Hungry Valley sounds like there's something for everyone so we might give it a try!

Dave
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

cajungal64

Postby cajungal64 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:26 pm

hemingray wrote:
cajungal64 wrote:Bring the wife too! Get that "garbage hauling" quad out for a real "play" day! It's always great fun and GREAT...wait I wouldn't go THAT FAR.. so, I'll stick with "nice" people. Just watch out for Keith... :lol:
Oh yes - I don't think I'll be allowed to take one quad out without the other... :shock: I finally got out to Greenhorn and had a blast (note my avatar has lost the garbage toter!) so it's on to more real riding. The description of Moonrocks/Hungry Valley sounds like there's something for everyone so we might give it a try!

Dave
That would be great! I hope ya'll can make it. Always fun to meet new folks and try new places. PM Ken if you need any more info.
Lori

[i]If ya gonna run with the big dawgs, you gotta quit pissin' on the porch with the poodles![/i]

Loppy
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby Loppy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:41 am

Dave,

Moonrocks (Hungry Valley is the official name...yes) has something for everyone. You are right. For novice riders, and kids, it could NOT be better. Having no trees, and tons of open area, soft compacted sand/dirt and mostly mild to moderate trails for miles and miles makes it the perfect playground where the only thing that can get you in trouble is the throttle.

There are some insane rock gardens and a few insane hill climbs for the adventurous, but they are easily avoided and all can be ridden around.

Lori, are you come'n out?
Scars are tatoos with better stories

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Tue May 01, 2007 1:03 pm

Looks like we'll give it a shot this Saturday, some trail riding and maybe I can sample something more skill-building myself too. I've made that transition from carefully crawling up hills to "momentum is your friend" - am starting to have too much fun... 8)

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

cajungal64

Postby cajungal64 » Tue May 01, 2007 1:15 pm

Loppy wrote: Lori, are you come'n out?
You bet ya!! I drove the beast around the back yard last night and I am ready to roll... hopefully...not literally ROLL... as in over.... It should be a blast, get the wife out why don't ya? :lol:
Lori

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Thu May 03, 2007 8:41 am

Looks like the weekend is gonna shape up for us so it should be fun!!

Loppy, Nick, Keith and I are all going up Friday, look for a white Chevy truck, silver Dodge, black Tahoe and a tent trailer. Not sure if cell phones work up there, but you guys can try that too. I can PM my number to anyone showing up, just ask.

Any tips from those experienced riders on what we should be bringing with us?
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS

d2photo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby d2photo » Thu May 03, 2007 9:25 am

[quote]Any tips from those experienced riders on what we should be bringing with us?[\quote]

Insurance card and Ice and if possible a fireman..
D2
www.peta-atv.com

'06 650 V2 Cat (roll count - 3) (rides w/o roll - 40

"You may not be the solution, but you can ALWAYS be part of the problem. It's good to contribute where you can"

Keith Strong
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Keith Strong » Thu May 03, 2007 5:23 pm

30 or so minutes to town....bring provisions ;)
07 Suzuki BlingQuad

MrBill

Postby MrBill » Thu May 03, 2007 6:22 pm

Your not there yet?
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

Keith Strong
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Keith Strong » Thu May 03, 2007 10:18 pm

Leaving in the morning. You comin up Bill?
07 Suzuki BlingQuad

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun May 06, 2007 10:58 pm

Killer weekend! Keith, Loppy, Kendo, Nick, Ken, Lori, Bill, and Matthew all showed up (along with a late appearance by Dave (aka: Hemingray)

Saturday...49.7 miles...had a blast...even Keith did after dropping his battery into the crapper.

On Sunday, Bill, Matthew, Ken and Lori road another 43 miles...and did our Southpark tribute.

Faith + 1
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Loppy
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby Loppy » Mon May 07, 2007 9:28 am

Great time! Good ride for sure! More pics please when you get some time!!!

It was great to meet Bill and Matt. That young man can ride! I hope you all enjoyed the side track up to the top of that mountain I led you on. the trail towards the top got really fun. It was great hiding from Nick when he was in the crappah... and Keith... well that was just wrong. LOL Good thing he had a second battery pack. Super cool how we all pitched in and fixed Kendo's carb.

And yes, I'll be ordering a new bushing kit and bolt very soon. :oops:

And my mouth is still numb from Lori's Jambalaya. :twisted:

Sorry we bailed a little early. Nick and I had not really seen our families in 6 days. It was good to have Sunday with them.

Ken, i'll give you two more miles any day. :wink:

next time!!

jeff
Scars are tatoos with better stories

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Mon May 07, 2007 9:44 am

We were glad to be able to meet Ken, Lori and Bill at the end of Sunday - wish we'd been able to hook up earlier. Even though it made for a long out-and-back trip we had a lot of fun. What a great area! Dixie's machine is still getting broken in but we got a chance to do some terrain training (compared to our local stuff) and I managed to push my limits a bit (those long steep climbs in soft stuff (with the front diff locked) was a challenge for me) but what a blast! We'll definitely head back there again - I have the feeling that we saw very little of the whole area.

Ken, I wished I'd seen you climb that rock...!

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~