Moab Trip Report

Go ahead...Let it out.

Moderator: hemingray

oldtrucks
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby oldtrucks » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:19 am

we relocated on Day 3 and didn't have web access from camp. On Day 3 we went out to an area South of Moab called "Area BFE". It's a open play area with an assortment of trails that are some of the most extreme in the area. We went after the famed "Helldorado" which easily was the most difficult trail. Only 1/2 mile long but comes right at you with obstacle after obstacle.

Larry (ATV Ansel)

Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces

[url=http://www.offroadobsession.com/store]Offroad Obsession[/url]

[url=http://www.rallyontherocks.com]Rally on the Rocks![/url]

oldtrucks

Postby oldtrucks » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:25 am

The trail abruptly ends at about a 12-15' waterfall with no bypass. We pulled out all our ropes, cables, and snatch blocks. After getting everything set up we had Ken up on top and Helldorado was checked off.

Larry (ATV Ansel)

oldtrucks

Postby oldtrucks » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:30 am

On Day 4 we went North into the slickrock gaian and ran 7 Mile Rim. Nothing difficult on this one, just lot's of great scenery and an awesome sandy wash that completes the 24 mile loop.

Larry (ATV Ansel)

oldtrucks

Postby oldtrucks » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:34 am

A special thanks to Lori (CajunGal) for keeping us fed. She had everything pre-made and package in sealed pouches, all we had to do was boil the bags and eat. Best food I've had on a trip :D , Thanks Lori =D> =D> =D>
Larry (ATV Ansel)

Keith Strong
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Keith Strong » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:55 am

Man I am so jealous. Take me with you next time! :P
07 Suzuki BlingQuad

cajungal64
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby cajungal64 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:07 am

Keith Strong wrote:Man I am so jealous. Take me with you next time! :P
Cook for them Keith... maybe they'll take you!! I'm next!!

Thanks Larry for the great pics. The 2 stragglers will be in around 9:30 AM opting to drive through the night with a couple of cat naps along the way. It looks like such an adventure! And, I am really glad ya'll enjoyed my cajun cooking! 8)
Lori

Polaris 800 which I bum from the webmaster!!!

[i]If ya gonna run with the big dawgs, you gotta quit pissin' on the porch with the poodles![/i]

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:02 pm

Thanks Larry for pics!!!

We're back...Jack and I stayed behind Friday with Steve Jackson (Montana Jack). We ran Metal Masher, Sovereign ATV Loop, Copper Ridge and Gemini. We started at 9:30am...and finished at 7PM. Metal Masher was AWESOME!! Although Steve and I had talked about Helldorado for months prior, Metal Masher was my favorite trail. I will do Metal Masher everytime I go..it's that good. It's hard...it has 2 VERY difficult obstacles that required winching, it has a ton of medium obstacles all throughout the trail, similar to the Rubicon (only red dirt), and it has KILLER scenery. Some of the best of the trip...and the bonus is once you exit, you're 2 miles from Gemini Bridges.

My wheel....Yes....call me stupid, unlucky, dumb...whatever. Tom setup his first shot and I hit the first ledge...and wheelied up....COOL. Uh oh...the dreaded retake.....I hit again.....only, I popped a small wheelie and came down at around 15-18 MPH on another ledge...CUE: EXPLOSION! I had low pressure already...I knew I was under 3lbs, but I had planned on riding for a while and re-measuring after a little heat....but take 2 was 100 yards into the trail. So, given the speed, the wheelie coming down and the low airpressure..it wasn't a shock. The other damage, was the gas pack lifted and literally tore the hinge off my front compartment....yes..it was a big BOOM. I limped back alone....drove and found an ATV shop (MAD BROS) on the South side of town....and bought a new one for the rest of trip. I wasn't going to limp around on my spare (which was too small) and made turning funky.

The food...OMG...we got back so late almost every night...it was GREAT not to "cook" but have real food. My advice to ANYONE going like this....COOK your food and freeze it like Lori did for us....drop in boiling water and Consume....you will be too tired to do much of anything else.

glad to be back in my own bed...after living in the Trailer of Man.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Loppy
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby Loppy » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:34 pm

cajungal64 wrote: THIS YEAR - otherwise, what did ya buy the quad for!! We'll get Mrs. Loppy AKA Stacy out on a borrowed one and she will turn in that lil 2 wheel toy, get herself a quad and will run with the big dawgs!! We'll coax her our over to the 4 wheelin side of ATV's!! 8)
Oh yeah Lori. We're going to work on that for sure. She's not quite convinced yet, but we're heading out with the kids this weekend, so she'll get some seat time. It's all good. It was really good to meet you again, looking forward to some really good times! Stacie says hi too, and also looks forward to hang'n with you guys.
Scars are tatoos with better stories

Loppy

Postby Loppy » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:43 pm

Awesome trip fellas. Very impressed at how much seat time you guys got. That is really putting the men and machines to the test. Outstanding.

And Keith, it's Moab. They cant lock us out. :wink: We'll just crash the party next time.
Scars are tatoos with better stories

ontherks

Postby ontherks » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:18 pm

We need more pics
'14 XP4 1k

zkeys

Postby zkeys » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:18 pm

This thread is how I found this board. I am pretty much obsessed with riding in Moab and I really love the pics. What trail are they listing as the #1 most difficult trail in the area? Behind the Rocks? I did not think they got any harder than Pritchett Canyon. Anybody been on Hell's Revenge, Moab Rim, or Behind the Rocks? If you have let me know how they are on an ATV, I am very interested in trying these trails. Planning a trip out to Moab in June this year with a little stop in Ouray Colorado. Hope to hit the trails hard.
Thanks guys and gals.
Zack
06 Brute Force 650 SRA Green
Dynatek CDI
26" Mud Lite XL's on ITP Series 4

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:13 pm

Behind The Rocks is listed at the hardest. Pritchett is #2. However, realistically, the only reason Pritchett is #2 is the "Rock Pile". Dusty, Jack and myself literally went right up after a couple rocks moved around.

There's one other spot, that requires some manuevering to get/down without a winch....though friends spotting and holding, is helpful. I could see in a Jeep(having one) that it would be more difficult.

Frankly, Metal Masher was harder than Pritchett on an ATV. Rock Chucker (optional) and Widow Maker (optional) are both MANDATORY winch spots. We did them both.

We didn't do Hell's Revenge, but I saw Moab Rim. I'm guess that one is scarier in a jeep....it's right on the edge. Being so close to Pritchett, I'm not sure why we didn't do it.

If you really want to test your "metal"....Do Helldorado. It's harder than all the others combined. The opening rock obstacle there will have you going..."uh..ok...how are we going to do this"....but it can be done without a winch.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

zkeys

Postby zkeys » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:54 am

Ken wrote:Behind The Rocks is listed at the hardest. Pritchett is #2. However, realistically, the only reason Pritchett is #2 is the "Rock Pile". Dusty, Jack and myself literally went right up after a couple rocks moved around.

There's one other spot, that requires some manuevering to get/down without a winch....though friends spotting and holding, is helpful. I could see in a Jeep(having one) that it would be more difficult.

Frankly, Metal Masher was harder than Pritchett on an ATV. Rock Chucker (optional) and Widow Maker (optional) are both MANDATORY winch spots. We did them both.

We didn't do Hell's Revenge, but I saw Moab Rim. I'm guess that one is scarier in a jeep....it's right on the edge. Being so close to Pritchett, I'm not sure why we didn't do it.

If you really want to test your "metal"....Do Helldorado. It's harder than all the others combined. The opening rock obstacle there will have you going..."uh..ok...how are we going to do this"....but it can be done without a winch.
Thanks for the reply man. I did Poison Spider last year and that was a nice ride. I might try to do Poison Spider to Golden Spike to Gold Bar Rim to Gemini Bridges ride this year, if I have a whole day to waste. It sounds like I have to check out Metal Masher then. We might be staying at Archview so it would be a short trip to get to MM. I walked up the first 1/4 mile of the Rim last year and was pretty impressed, I could not get my dad to do it with me (too old :) ) so I did not attempt it alone. We will see what this year brings!
Thanks man!
Zack
Dynatek CDI

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:32 am

Metal Masher is right at Gemini Bridges. You head up Gemini Bridges Road a few miles...turn right. Sign is there. Loop through MM and you come out about 2 miles past Gemini Bridges...hang a left back to 191..stop at the Bridges (the good part) and head back. Gemini Bridges road itself, is just a road, filled with bikes and kids.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

zkeys

Postby zkeys » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:29 am

Ken wrote:Metal Masher is right at Gemini Bridges. You head up Gemini Bridges Road a few miles...turn right. Sign is there. Loop through MM and you come out about 2 miles past Gemini Bridges...hang a left back to 191..stop at the Bridges (the good part) and head back. Gemini Bridges road itself, is just a road, filled with bikes and kids.
Very Cool! So the Rock Chucker and Widow Maker are both able to be bypassed? Not that I am going to bypass them, but it would be a good sell point to get my dad on the trail.
Zack
Dynatek CDI