First annual Chester Mountain Sports Ice oval race

Go ahead...Let it out.

Moderator: hemingray

Chadd
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Chadd » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:59 pm

Come on Bill.. Tell your dad to bring the Ranger and Larry will bring the Rhino then it will get interesting.. BTW we should have a good turn out We just need to figure out the Weekend.
2007 Can-Am 800 XT, Full skid Plates, HMF Exhaust, Dobeck EFI Controller, AKA Zuki Eater Huh Larry.

oldtrucks
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby oldtrucks » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:03 pm

Ken wrote:WTF happened to......drill hole, check depth, throw out cones and GO!?
I'm still good with that, when?
Larry (ATV Ansel)

Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces

[url=http://www.offroadobsession.com/store]Offroad Obsession[/url]

[url=http://www.rallyontherocks.com]Rally on the Rocks![/url]

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:12 pm

Saturday saturday saturday, your are going to have to pay for the whole seat, but you only need the edge. . .
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

Chadd

Postby Chadd » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:15 pm

Dammit Saturday i might have to work Sunday is better but whatever..
2007 Can-Am 800 XT, Full skid Plates, HMF Exhaust, Dobeck EFI Controller, AKA Zuki Eater Huh Larry.

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:20 pm

Sunday is a possiblity. . . any other Placer/nevada county folks have the time?
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

DAVE
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby DAVE » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:55 pm

Just how thick is this ice??? and how deep is the water under it?? maybe I will bring my life vest :lol:
DAVE

Brute 750 Camo... 26'' MUDLITE XTR'S... Ramsey 3000 w/remote...eXplorist 400... Mair handguards... FlightCare Member

oldtrucks

Postby oldtrucks » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:32 pm

last year when Ken and I were out trying it the ice was about 6" thick
Larry (ATV Ansel)

Dennis
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby Dennis » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:07 pm

This weekend? Damm, you guy have all the fun. I have previous commitments. Sure sounds like fun.
05 Brute Force 750, 650, & 07 Wolverine 450

oldtrucks

Postby oldtrucks » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:30 pm

I went trying to find a source about driving on an ice covered pond and came across this :shock:

Three die on thin ice
Filed under: Terminal Stupidity — Michael Hampton @ 8:49 pm — Comments (17)

In the northern latitudes, when winter comes, one can expect ice to form on top of local rivers and lakes. Many people enjoy going out on the ice to walk, skate, fish, and even drive across them. However, when you go out too early, and the ice isn’t thick enough to support your weight, then you run the risk of breaking the ice, falling through, and not being able to get out.

Three people died Friday in two separate accidents on ice-covered ponds in eastern Wisconsin.

In Cedar Grove, Wis., about 40 miles (64km) north of Milwaukee, Megan Obbink, 9, was skating on the ice on a local pond when she fell through. Her father, Brian Obbink, 44, went out to try to save her, but he too fell in. Both drowned, and rescuers pulled out their bodies Friday evening.

The ice was reported to be less than 3 inches (76mm) thick.

In a separate accident in Lyndon, Wis., about 10 miles (16km) northwest of Cedar Grove, Cody Lechler, 12, was riding an all-terrain vehicle across an ice-covered pond when he and the vehicle fell through. Rescuers recovered his body late Friday. He had been out hunting with an adult neighbor who was unnamed in news reports.

“There is no such thing as safe ice,” said Sheboygan County Sheriff’s Deputy Jim Opgenorth.
Larry (ATV Ansel)

oldtrucks

Postby oldtrucks » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:35 pm

Best Answer - Chosen By Voters

'Each year, as the ice begins to skim Minnesota’s lakes and ponds, the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources receives hundreds of phone calls from anxious anglers who all have the same basic question: "Is the ice safe yet?" That’s when I whip out my trusty stock answer: "No, ice is NEVER safe."

[...]

Here are a few general guidelines for use by winter recreation enthusiasts to lessen their chances for an icy dip or worse. It’s impossible to judge the strength of ice by its appearance, thickness, daily temperature, or snow cover alone. Ice strength is actually dependent on all four factors, plus water depth under the ice, the size of the water and water chemistry, currents, and distribution of the load on the ice.

[...]

* Snowmobiles and ATV’s need at least 5 inches, and cars and light trucks need at least 8-12 inches of good clear ice.

* Wear a life jacket. Life vests or float coats provide excellent flotation and protection from hypothermia (loss of body temperature). Never wear a life jacket if you are traveling in an enclosed vehicle, however. It could hamper escape in case of a breakthrough.

* Carry a pair of homemade ice picks or even a pair of screwdrivers tied together with a few yards of strong cord that can be used to pull yourself up and onto the ice if you do fall in. Be sure they have wooden handles so if you drop them in the struggle to get out of the water, they won’t go straight to the bottom!

* Avoid driving on the ice whenever possible. Traveling in a vehicle, especially early or late in the season is simply "an accident waiting to happen." In the 117 ice fatalities occurring in Minnesota since 1976, 68 percent involved a vehicle.

* Be prepared to bail out in a hurry if you find it necessary to use a car, unbuckle your seatbelt and have a plan of action if you do breakthrough. Some safety experts recommend driving with the window rolled down and the doors ajar for an easy escape. Move your car frequently. Parking in one place for a long period weakens ice. Don’t park near cracks, and watch out for pressure ridges or ice heaves.

* Don’t drive across ice at night or when it is snowing. Reduced visibility increases your chances for driving into an open or weak ice area.

* Check at the access if there are signs that indicate an aeration system is in operation on the lake. Aerators keep areas of water open to provide oxygen for fish. The ice can be weakened many yards beyond where the ice is actually open. Stay well outside the fenced areas indicated by diamond shaped thin ice signs.'

---

'How can you tell if a lake is frozen solid enough to drive on? The surest way to know is to wait until several other cars and trucks have safely driven across the ice. Even then, you should always be extra careful when driving across a frozen lake.

It's possible that one section of the lake has currents that prevent the lake from freezing solid. Or there might be a river or stream that brings slightly warmer water into one part of the lake. So even though most of the lake was frozen solid, one section of the lake could have thin ice.'

---

'If you're driving your car (didn't we just say we don't recommend that) safety experts recommend that you drive with the windows down and your seatbelt off. Don't take this an excuse to drive without a seatbelt full time just in case you drive into a lake. Out on the ice you are driving on a lake and if the ice gives way from under you it is critical to get out of your vehicle before it is submerged. A car crashing into water can sink in a matter of seconds.'

---

'Take a hard look at the ice before you leap. Clear blue ice is the strongest, and it still takes three inches to safely hold a single person, and five to six inches to safely hold a group of people or a snowmobile. You supposedly can venture out onto thinner ice if you distribute your weight over a wider area with skis or snowshoes, but do you really want to take the chance?

Some people will drive on eight inches of clear blue ice. Not me! I don't care how thick the ice is, or how many cars I see out there, my vehicle stays safely on solid ground. Yes, I know they hold auto races on thick ice, and drive logging trucks and dump trucks across it. But not my car!'
Larry (ATV Ansel)

Chadd

Postby Chadd » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:01 pm

DAMMIT LARRY Why do you have to bring up the Safety factor.. TRUST me the ice is thick enuff. plus the deepest spot of this pond is maybe 3 feet... no one will die from drowning maybe some other injuries but not drowning.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:59 pm

I'm out...LOL. I trust Chadd as far as I can throw his borrowed Quad.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

oldtrucks

Postby oldtrucks » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:18 am

bore our test holes in the ice and keep the batteries in your "CHADDAR" charged and it's all good
Larry (ATV Ansel)

Rogue
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby Rogue » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:05 am

LOL. Ranger vs Rhino might be entertaining. Dad would have to unload the 350+lbs of tools, spare tire and rescue gear he hauls around in that thing to be competitive...

You guys gotta video tape it for posterity though. I, unfortunately, cannot afford to drive back up this weekend to make it. I was just in Chico two weeks ago... If diesel wasn't still damn near $3 a gallon I'd probably burn the credit card to come. But I'm saving pennies for the Nascar race at Infineon in June and for a new quad... :(
[url=http://www.nvatr.com]North Valley All Terrain Riders[/url]
The definition of irony: working on a Navy base in the middle of a desert.

d2photo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby d2photo » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:10 am

I might have to make the trip just for photo purposes.. Don't know If I will be going out on the ICE but could make for a good video segment.
D2
www.peta-atv.com

'06 650 V2 Cat (roll count - 3) (rides w/o roll - 40

"You may not be the solution, but you can ALWAYS be part of the problem. It's good to contribute where you can"