Save the "Switchback Trail - PLEASE READ!!!

Go ahead...Let it out.

Moderator: hemingray

oldtrucks
Certified: OBSESSED

Save the "Switchback Trail - PLEASE READ!!!

Postby oldtrucks » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:36 pm

this is a little long but please take the time to read it over.

I just got back from another OHV Inventory meeting for the Tahoe National Forest. Things are moving forward on the inventory and the plan is to have the Forest Order in place prior to next season/summer. The Forest Order basically defines what are and what are not acceptable routes for any and all traffic. That includes autos, ATV's, motorcycles, horses, bikers and hikers. There is some good news and some bad, being the optimist I am I'll start with the bad.

The switchback trail from Fordyce Rd up to Signal Peak is in danger of closing. Those of you that have had the opportunity to ride it know it's a great trail and fun to ride. You also know the trail is in pretty bad shape in a couple of areas due to erosion. That's the bad news....the good news is I think we have a pretty solid chance of keeping it open.

I'd like to submit for an adoption of the trail and become responsible for seeing that it's maintained. When I say I, I really mean us. I spoke to the OHV Director tonight and he said that I need to submit a proposal outlining the current issues on the trail, , planned repair, planned maintenence, and planned use. He explained that it would go a long way knowing there is a group that is dedicated to seeing it cared for, not just used.

What I need is a some idea how many would be willing to help out. The plan would be to meet a couple of times a year and have a work party to keep things in good shape. So, if you would be willing to lend a hand to save a great trail then let me know.
Larry (ATV Ansel)

Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces

[url=http://www.offroadobsession.com/store]Offroad Obsession[/url]

[url=http://www.rallyontherocks.com]Rally on the Rocks![/url]

d2photo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby d2photo » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:59 am

Larry, can you please let me know where the road is - I have not riden with you guys on that one. If its within reason I can lend a few weekends to hepin out.
D2
www.peta-atv.com

'06 650 V2 Cat (roll count - 3) (rides w/o roll - 40

"You may not be the solution, but you can ALWAYS be part of the problem. It's good to contribute where you can"

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:11 am

Derrick...it's awesome.

It's small...ATV only trail that heads up the backside...cisco grove. Larry...I'm totally in.

Do you have a phone number for this director? The Key to this Larry, as I've learned from the Rubicon, is to get SOMEONE in the USFS to walk the trail with us...point out the areas of concern and for them to voice what they want. From my last ride on it....there's a couple spots that may require some digging...a gas powered jack hammer, would probably be the most effective tool.

EVERYONE should sign up for this one....it won't be tough. A couple work weekends a year and a great time camping and hanging out.!
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

d2photo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby d2photo » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:24 am

Just got off a chat with Ken,

Is anyone open for a ride up there on thanksgiving weekend. Do a survey run take some photos for the FS.

Before the snow gets in the way.
D2
www.peta-atv.com

'06 650 V2 Cat (roll count - 3) (rides w/o roll - 40

"You may not be the solution, but you can ALWAYS be part of the problem. It's good to contribute where you can"

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:01 am

I am in for sure.

If we do happen to set up a work date I can bring my small Quad utility trailoer to get some tools close to the work area.

Larry,
I would help write a proposal, but well you know what my writing skills are. . . I think that you should have ken do it, he can write pretty good. .. even if he puts a lot of BS into it. . .
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

MrBill

Postby MrBill » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:14 am

Count me in..24th 25th or 26th just let me know. I'll bring the Extra Gas :lol:

Chadd take a day off and come help.
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

TomZ
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby TomZ » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:45 pm

Sounds like a fun and "constructive" way to spend a couple of weekends with friends in a great setting.
'05 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O., 2.5 ci Warn Winch, PurePolari$ Brush Guard, Ricochet A-Arm Skid Plates, K&N Filter

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:45 pm

TomZ wrote:Sounds like a fun and "constructive" way to spend a couple of weekends with friends in a great setting.
Agreed Tom. It's a fun trail...it would be ashame to lose due to apathy.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:05 pm

TomZ wrote:Sounds like a fun and "constructive" way to spend a couple of weekends with friends in a great setting.
friends. . . HELL NO. . . i am getting paid to be friends with Ken. . . his parents are paying me 1000 a month. . .and I think Larry is a spy for the Sierra Club. . .and then we have Chadd and MrBill. . . They are just gay lovers. . .
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

Chadd
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Chadd » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:39 pm

Dusty, GQ cover boy.. Thats all i have to say.. BTW leave the dogs at home..lol

I'll try to make it BUT i just sold my Demo quad.. I'll get in touch with Bill and see if he wants to bring the Ranger..
2007 Can-Am 800 XT, Full skid Plates, HMF Exhaust, Dobeck EFI Controller, AKA Zuki Eater Huh Larry.

oldtrucks

Postby oldtrucks » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:34 pm

I think the surevy idea is good, but we probably need permission to proceed with any work right now. At this point I'm working with a couple of the Rec managers, just letting them know there is a group ready, willing and able to adopt and care for the trail. There is also a group of 4x4 guys that want it open as well, so we have a variety of support. The issue of use may come down to trail designation and I don't want to step on any toes. Some of the 4x4 guys are interested in making it wider, personally I want to try and keep narrow. Ideally, getting it designated ATV/UTV/Motorcycle only would be awesome. Currently it's listed as "unclassified" and "user made" so it's not in the official inventory. Getting it accepted into the inventory is our first goal.
Larry (ATV Ansel)

Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces

[url=http://www.offroadobsession.com/store]Offroad Obsession[/url]

[url=http://www.rallyontherocks.com]Rally on the Rocks![/url]

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:08 pm

exactly Larry.

I don't mind checking it out..it people want to see it...but no work. Save that for the spring.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:56 pm

I can't do a survey run this weekend...I have to head to LA on Friday and Saturday.

If anyone wants to go check it out...I can give the GPS Long/LAT on Wednesday where to turn off Cisco Grove road (heading to Fordyce Lake).

Let me know.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Loppy
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby Loppy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:49 pm

Is this still something to be involved in? Count me in if it is. I've not ridden it, and I want to get the chance to.
Scars are tatoos with better stories

hemingray

Switchback - and some Red Mountain

Postby hemingray » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:37 pm

Well, I started down the Switchback Trail from the top today, but it was just too much to chance with my stock Dunlops. It looks well used - and the bottom looked pretty well used too. Looks like it would be fun - certainly spectactular views all the way!

Also, I ran the old Red Mountain trail up to where it becomes impassable to me - big jagged rocks!

The road peters out to a trail, and it looks like it just degrades into a rockfall above. I didn't walk very far up.

It's a lot of fun to go to this point tho, and there's a nice turnaround there.
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS