The new 2-seater quads

Go ahead...Let it out.

Moderator: hemingray

WillRide
Is tracking a shipment right now

The new 2-seater quads

Postby WillRide » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:10 pm

Has anyone tried the new 2-seater queds
I think it would be cool to take my wife riding with me (at times!) and I see that Can Am and Arctic Cat make 2-up quads, for riding double.
What do you guys think about them? Anybody tried one? Are they perhaps a little too gay, not macho enough?
--Will
'15 RZR S 900 eps (oh yes I did!)
'02 Yamaha Raptor

WillRide

please excuse the typo

Postby WillRide » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:19 pm

Ment to say quahds, or kwods, or cwads, or , you know, ATVs!
--Will
'02 Yamaha Raptor

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:06 pm

All I can really say is that they are a little longer than a one person quad to make sure that the back person is still in front of hte rear wheels. This can be an problem if you are trying to get over some rocks and do not have a high clearance, but you can always find other ways around, at least usually.
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

monty
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

Postby monty » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:58 pm

i ride double on a Brute 90%+ of the time and am interested in the two rider atvs. i have not had any handling problems with the BF, but in some states (like Montana for instance) i could get a ticket. in Utah, it is OK.

the two rider atv that i would look at first is the Can-Am 650 max, but like i say, i have committed to keeping the Brute for a while. i guess i am saying that there is a real need for the two-up machines and they are not fluff. if i gotta trade mine some day, i'll look at the two rider machines.

monty
650i with stuff

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:05 pm

Can Am did the two ups first...if I'm not mistaken.

They use the Can Am's on the Rubicon Adventure tour rides....Personally...I wouldn't rock crawl on a two up....It's too easy to hurt myself. ;)

but cruisin' around...etc.

Interestingly, the Polaris dealer told me...that most people that buy a two up...eventually buy another quad for the passenger.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

monty
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

Postby monty » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:56 pm

we did the Poison Spider/Golden Spike/Gold Bar Rim at Moab riding double without any issues, but the GF had to hop off for the three or four hard ledges. the "Skyline Drive" hill is about max for me riding double. any steeper and the passenger has to hike up it.

two things to remember, tho. first, i have ridden two-up a lot more than by myself, and second, in the ten years of doing this, i have never had or caused an atv related injury of any kind.

but i do not suggest by any means that anybody else should do this. it is just how we do it. the GF is a very small person and we have two quads, but she feels safer and enjoys the ride more as a passenger. i do realize both of us on seperate quads is ideal. the extra quad available if one breaks would be a good thing, too.

but i have heard good things about the can-am two up machines. even for a single rider, they are good machines. i thought the turning radius may be more, but it is supposedly still tight turning.

monty
650i with stuff

oldtrucks
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby oldtrucks » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:08 pm

Ever considered a Rhino or Ranger? Actually a great way to cruise around with 2 people. Room in the back for extra gear and food, probably go anywhere you want with 2 on baord
Larry (ATV Ansel)

Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces

[url=http://www.offroadobsession.com/store]Offroad Obsession[/url]

[url=http://www.rallyontherocks.com]Rally on the Rocks![/url]

Crash Anderson

Postby Crash Anderson » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:47 pm

oldtrucks wrote:Ever considered a Rhino or Ranger? Actually a great way to cruise around with 2 people. Room in the back for extra gear and food, probably go anywhere you want with 2 on baord
My father loves his Ranger. It's crazy where he goes in that thing.
But Seriously

oldtrucks
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby oldtrucks » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:57 pm

Crash Anderson wrote:My father loves his Ranger. It's crazy where he goes in that thing.
Yep, and he's one of the reason I bought the Rhino. Crash can you PM your mom's email, I have a question about her body......camera body!
Larry (ATV Ansel)

Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces

[url=http://www.offroadobsession.com/store]Offroad Obsession[/url]

[url=http://www.rallyontherocks.com]Rally on the Rocks![/url]

Crash Anderson

Postby Crash Anderson » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:39 pm

suuuuure...lol
But Seriously

WillRide

Postby WillRide » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:10 pm

monty wrote: any steeper and the passenger has to hike up it.
monty
I was thinking of riding on easier trails when riding double. If I wanted to do more aggressive riding, I would prefer to do that solo. The advantage of a 2-up quad is you have choice. Here in California you can't ride 2 people on a regular quad.
--Will
'02 Yamaha Raptor

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:10 am

I would be surprised if there's that big of performance hit riding a 2 up with 1 person....versus a regular ATV. In odd places with the longer wheel base...maybe...but not enough to matter that much.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

DAVE
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby DAVE » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:58 am

I see some advantages in performance for the longer wheelbase in some cases. If I was going to get a new quad I would look hard at the 2 ups just for the flexability. some times it would be nice to take just one quad on a trip.......and not have to worry about getting a ticket. (BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING US)
DAVE

Brute 750 Camo... 26'' MUDLITE XTR'S... Ramsey 3000 w/remote...eXplorist 400... Mair handguards... FlightCare Member