This weekend's ride was more brutal than I thought

Go ahead...Let it out.

Moderator: hemingray

Ken
Site Admin

This weekend's ride was more brutal than I thought

Postby Ken » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:54 pm

I got a call from the dealer....I broke my frame in 2 places. They're welding it back up...and I'm getting full skid plates.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:15 am

It gets better.

Miren's were cracked in the same spot.

The dealer said "I've never seen a cracked frame in 10 years of doing this."

I said....we're pretty extreme....and he said 'oh, we could tell by the smashed skid plates."
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Thrasher
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Thrasher » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:50 pm

err..details? or they somepalce else?
2003 Polaris Sportsman 600 Twin, w/Warn 2500# winch, k&n filter, handguards, Kimpex Deluxe seat/storage, Kimpex front box, WayBackRacks fuel rack. Mud Lites, Mud chunks, a lil tin can :D

[img]http://www.tampagasprices.com/gb/Tampagasbuddy.gif[/img]

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:45 am

They aren't finished, but I know where they broke.

If you look between the Front tire and wheel well...there's a tube arm coming down from the tank area to the frame, just behind the A-arm. Those broke on both sides...

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:51 pm

I still want to know how hard you had to hit the frame with a hamer to get it to crack like that, oh wait, that is what Terry does to make his quad look like it is ridden. . .
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:48 pm

Ken, I see we have a newbie... Honda_Man. WTF......

Is that BOAT_Boy???

Isn't he one of those catalog riders..... Hang on while I dust(ie) off my quad and ride it around in my driveway.....

Boy, you need to sell the quad and buy a dress.... Miren, One of the lipstick lesbians has returned....... lol.
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:24 pm

Here's my right side.

Here's the left side that broke.

Here's where Miren's was welded for a crack.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:49 pm

WOW.... Hey, I didn't ride your quads did I?
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:56 pm

LOL....I dunno.

Better check yours carefully...Jack's was cracked too.

I sent the photos into Polaris. Not like a defect or anything since we torque the crap out of the frame...but it definitely points out where it's weak.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:56 pm

if 3 of the polaris's are cracked inteh same location that seems like it might be a fault inthe polaris model, then again the way you all were riding these past few times it looks like it is a wonder you did not do more damage. . .
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:57 pm

Mr. Miyagi wrote: Boy, you need to sell the quad and buy a dress.... Miren, One of the lipstick lesbians has returned....... lol.
I do not think even a lipstick lesbian would want you, not until you rode up on a real ride. . .
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:27 pm

Honda_man wrote:if 3 of the polaris's are cracked inteh same location that seems like it might be a fault inthe polaris model, then again the way you all were riding these past few times it looks like it is a wonder you did not do more damage. . .

I ALMOST came back with...WTF you talkin' about...your Honda's been in the garage for months....then you redeemed yourself with the last sentence.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Pepe
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Postby Pepe » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:05 pm

Bringing up an old post...

I just noticed the same cracks on my 2002 Polaris 700. I dont do alot of rockcrawling with this machine either. Mostly mild to hard trail rideing and deer and pheasant hunting trips. I found the cracks while trying to figure out what might be bent after comeing down hard on a rock. My left side plastic is all out of wack. The fule knob is way off center in the hole as is the gas tank filler hole. The toungs on the rear of the side panel are completely disengaged from the rear fender plastic. I came down on a rock on the steel portion of the left floor board. It hit hard enough to make me cringe. But I can find no real damage, (other than the cracked welds, but I dont think they have anything to do with it).

So Ken did Polaris ever respond to your email and pics?

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:52 am

I never sent the photos to Polaris....I should have. The dealer fixed it.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:04 am

Someone needs to get in there and fix the leak on Miren's dip stick.
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI