Meadow Lake bald eagle

Go ahead...Let it out.

Moderator: hemingray

Ken
Site Admin

Meadow Lake bald eagle

Postby Ken » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:21 pm

Went to Meadow Lake to relax in a chair and watch Kenan fish...

We saw this guy...circling..looking for fish...then hanging out in a tree. I took this picture, by putting the camera up to the binoculars...and it worked!

The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Chadd
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Chadd » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:36 pm

That is sweet... Did you see him catch any fish while you were there?
2007 Can-Am 800 XT, Full skid Plates, HMF Exhaust, Dobeck EFI Controller, AKA Zuki Eater Huh Larry.

scotte
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Postby scotte » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:51 pm

I bet that's the same eagle.... Last year at trek it was catfishing in the same place we were. Very, very cool when we saw it swoop down and grab one.

Some of the other people up there named it and have been watching it for years...

EDIT: Can't find the pix, but I think somebody took some last year of it fishing. I'll look for them when I get home... See if it's the same bird.

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:14 pm

I like the first shot. Bird thinking "look at that fool with the Camera up to binoculars"
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:37 pm

MrBill wrote:I like the first shot. Bird thinking "look at that fool with the Camera up to binoculars"

Yeah..."Who are the dumbasses on the dam swimming, screwing up my fishing!"
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:40 pm

Chadd wrote:That is sweet... Did you see him catch any fish while you were there?

Nope...but he tried. He circled right near us for....an hour....then went up on that tree for another hour. I didn't take the picture.

Then he left to the other end of the lake...circled and disappeared for another hour or so. Suddenly, he reappeared on the same tree(must be his favorite) and was there for ahile. That's when I tried to hold the binocs up to the camera and it worked.

If he caught something on the other end of the lake, we missed it. I'm guessing he has better luck at Dusk.

Also..there were a billion tadpoles near the edge...I'm sure he's just waiting for "frogs" to appear.

I had never noticed him before...so cool that one found a home there.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:27 am

did it taste like chicken?
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:37 am

Yup! :wink:

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Pepe

Postby Pepe » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:33 pm

Yeah, I've seen him and his mate up there for the past two years. I tried like hell to get some good pics last year while we were down at the dam but the kids were makeing too much noise. I would loose sight of him and if yoou listen you can hear him screech.

I was up at Foradyce about 3 weeks ago and I'm pretty sure there was a couple of eagles flying around there. Now given that Foradyce and Meadow are only about 1 mile apart (as a eagle flys :lol: ) so it might of been the same birds.

Last week I read in the paper that there is a couple of bald eagles between Orinda and El Sobrante ( thats less from 5 miles from me)

This is all way cool, I remember when those things were almost compleetly extinct.

oldtrucks
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby oldtrucks » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:02 pm

Ken wrote:
Chadd wrote:That is sweet... Did you see him catch any fish while you were there?

Nope...but he tried. He circled right near us for....an hour....then went up on that tree for another hour.
He was probably waiting on Kenan, "If that kid can catch a fish I'll swoop down, scare the crap out of him, and steal it"
Larry (ATV Ansel)

Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces

[url=http://www.offroadobsession.com/store]Offroad Obsession[/url]

[url=http://www.rallyontherocks.com]Rally on the Rocks![/url]

Quadgoddess
Is Totally Obsessed

Re: Meadow Lake bald eagle

Postby Quadgoddess » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:36 am

Ken wrote:Went to Meadow Lake to relax in a chair and watch Kenan fish...

We saw this guy...circling..looking for fish...then hanging out in a tree. I took this picture, by putting the camera up to the binoculars...and it worked!

Camera up to the binocs...you get a 10 for creativity ;)...cool pics
[url=http://carolann63.smugmug.com/]~My Pix~[/url]

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:52 pm

oldtrucks wrote: He was probably waiting on Kenan, "If that kid can catch a fish I'll swoop down, scare the crap out of him, and steal it"
no, he was actually waiting for Ken to leve so he could swoop on Kenan and carry him off
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

Pepe

Postby Pepe » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:57 pm

Well I just got back from Sierra Trek up at Meadow Lake. I only saw the bald eagle once, and that was from a great distance. I dont think even 2 sets of binoculars would of helped.

By the way Ken did you catch anything up there? My hunting partner was up there about 3 weeks ago and did quite well trolling. As he put it , he has never had much luck fishing at Meadow lake but that was the first time he put his boat in there and trolled, and he caught 3 of the largest trought ever. And this guy has caught some big fish over the years.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:46 pm

No luck...we fished off the dam. No boat.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

scotte

Postby scotte » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:21 am

We didn't see the eagle at all this year at Trek.

Got some catfish from the catfish pond attached to the lake, and there were some people that caught trout from the dam, but most people said they didn't get anything...